G-sync and Nvidia Surround 3 monitor setup [yes, eventually]

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
bdaley6509

G-sync and Nvidia Surround 3 monitor setup [yes, eventually]

Post by bdaley6509 » 31 Jan 2014, 15:26

Has anyone tried this yet? I tried it with a single Gsync monitor and 2 non-gsync Asus monitors and it didn't work (could not enable gsync and the alignment was off across all 3 screens). I ordered 2 more kits in hopes that the results will be different, but wanted to ask the forum if it's been attempted prior to cracking open the other 2 monitors. I'm running 3 GTX780 cards so I am covered there. Thanks ahead of time.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: G-sync and Nvidia Surround 3 monitor setup

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2014, 15:56

Currently, I can say NVIDIA confirms that G-SYNC doesn't support surround. (I imagine it would be eventually, surround gaming sounds like a wonderful GSYNC use case, due to the lower framerates that often occurs).
EDIT: See NVIDIA's reply below!

The alignment was off? I think the new NVIDIA drivers fixed that part, so that you could use 3 monitors (GSYNC or otherwise) in non-GSYNC mode.

I think that ULMB should work good in surround mode, assuming you maintain framerates high enough to make strobing worth it!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

bdaley6509

Post by bdaley6509 » 31 Jan 2014, 16:01

Thanks for the quick response. Is there any way to make ULMB not look so washed out? I only played with it for a minute but it looked so bad (non-3d content) that I quickly switched it off.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Jan 2014, 16:42

bdaley6509 wrote:Thanks for the quick response. Is there any way to make ULMB not look so washed out? I only played with it for a minute but it looked so bad (non-3d content) that I quickly switched it off.
It's good for fast moving triple-digit-framerate content (FPS, racing, etc). For example, just look at http://www.testufo.com/photo while pressing that button. The ideal clarity occurs at framerate equalling stroberate (or thereabouts). It's still much better than LightBoost, and the contrast ratio is likely better on the 27" models than the 24" models. For framerates less than 85fps, GSYNC can look far better than ULMB.

I know there's been people wanting to do surround GSYNC -- I imagine NVIDIA is working on that, as the target audience that pays extra for GSYNC and extra GPU, often likes to pay extra for surround.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

ManuelG_NVIDIA

Post by ManuelG_NVIDIA » 31 Jan 2014, 18:23

We will be supporting G-Sync in Surround mode at a later time although I do not have an ETA at this moment. I filed a bug for the alignment issue. Thanks for the feedback.
Please send me a PM if I fail to keep up on replying in any specific thread.

virus86

Re: G-sync and Nvidia Surround 3 monitor setup [yes, eventua

Post by virus86 » 08 Jul 2014, 07:37

Sorry about bringing this thread back to life. Are there any updates on this? I have the same setup: 3x ASUS VG248QE (one with GSync) and an aux monitor. I am running Titans SLI on the latest non-beta drivers (337.88). I was able to get them into surround mode, but I dont know if GSync is enabled.

1) The GSync check box is unchecked and greyed out in "Set up G-SYNC"
2) The Surround monitor is named "Surround displays (G-SYNC Capable)"
3) Vertical sync is set to G-SYNC in "Manage 3D Settings" under Global Settings

The refresh rate is capped at 120 and I can use ULMB. I tried some testing with the Tomb Raider benchmark and my eyes say that G-Sync is not working. Am I missing something? Thank you.

offthewall

Re: G-sync and Nvidia Surround 3 monitor setup [yes, eventua

Post by offthewall » 15 May 2015, 19:28

I know this thread is almost a year old but I recently bought 1 Asus VG248QE with a factory installed g-sync module and I was wondering if anyone lately has had success running 1 g-sync VG248QE monitor with 2 non g-sync VG248QE monitors in a Nvidia surround setup?