PG248Q... gsync don't works?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: PG248Q... gsync don't works?

Post by jorimt » 28 Apr 2017, 08:48

Haste wrote: This could be added to the Gsync 101 guide. What do you think, jorimt?
I will certainly jot your suggestion down and consider it. This is more of an obscure "fun fact" than 101 information however, but if I can fit it naturally into the existing article, I will.

I've also considered doing a G-SYNC "FAQ," either as part of the 101 article or as a separate thing altogether, which would cover miscellaneous/supplemental G-SYNC information. Your suggestion also makes me realize a "G-SYNC Emulator HOWTO" may eventually be in order, as getting it to work with some emulators can sometimes be a bit involved.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Apr 2017, 08:55

Btw, here's a very nice video that a) demonstrates why G-Sync improves emulator accuracy and b) buries the myth that "g-sync/freesync are useless for emulators" which has been going around for a while now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CeZ0xbtfDo

TL;DR: Some games exploit the refresh rate they run at to render elements on the screen. With those games, a fixed refresh monitor cannot render these games correctly.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Haste

Post by Haste » 28 Apr 2017, 10:23

Nice video.

What's up lately with (some) youtubers being factually correct about monitor technologies. I like that trend!
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Glide

Post by Glide » 28 Apr 2017, 10:38

RealNC wrote:TL;DR: Some games exploit the refresh rate they run at to render elements on the screen. With those games, a fixed refresh monitor cannot render these games correctly.
That hasn't been an issue for years. Any decent emulator will reclock the games so that the framerate is synchronized to the refresh rate and these effects are rendered correctly without frame skipping or audio bugs.

I've had a really difficult time trying to get G-Sync working with most emulators though - particularly RetroArch.
If I disable G-Sync and use V-Sync, I get perfectly smooth scrolling and flicker effects render correctly.
If I enable G-Sync the framerate never stabilizes and I get stutters every second or so.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 28 Apr 2017, 12:38

Glide wrote:
RealNC wrote:TL;DR: Some games exploit the refresh rate they run at to render elements on the screen. With those games, a fixed refresh monitor cannot render these games correctly.
That hasn't been an issue for years. Any decent emulator will reclock the games so that the framerate is synchronized to the refresh rate and these effects are rendered correctly without frame skipping or audio bugs.
Doesn't reclocking alter the speed of the game? For 59.7FPS games that's fine. For 54FPS games, not so good.
I've had a really difficult time trying to get G-Sync working with most emulators though - particularly RetroArch.
Yep, RetroArch doesn't play well with gsync. It seems to use the vblank signal as a timing source? Which for gsync is a no-no.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.