jorimt wrote:Nice job!
Hi, ive got a few questions for you, could you please help me,
Last month i purchased a new laptop, msi gt72vr 7re, it comes with TN 120hz 5ms with G-Sync
, i always heard amazing things about g-sync:
- that it completely eliminates tearing, it smooths the low frame-rates and you dont need to use v-sync, and does not affect performance.
Ok, i so was like, when i get a new laptop i need one with g-sync, i hate tearing but i dont use v-sync because i get input lag, so g-sync is the solution.
The last days, ive been testing a few games, g-sync is turned on by default and v-sync is "controlled by the application", ok so far so good, i go to game options turn v-sync off, refresh rate of screen is set at 120hz.
Then i was surprised, i still get tearing in all games, so i went online to search for a solution or to find out if have a hardware problem, since i always heard that G-Sync doesnt need V-Sync to work...
Yesterday ive found out about this thread and read the 1st post, now everything is more "clear", so thank you very much for the information provided, you are helping lots of people.
A few questions:
1) If G-Sync is made to work with V-Sync, then why Nvidia never said anything about it?
The driver automatically puts g-sync on by default and v-sync "controlled by 3d application".
If G-Sync was made to work with V-Sync from the beginning, theres no advantage using G-Sync at all, because if [u]you turn V-Sync on, G-Sync will never work, and you will get V-sync inputlag. (it will work like a screen without G-sync basically)
So, you need to limit the frame-rate in a third party program, put 2 fps below max refresh rate, for everything to work at 100% and to get G-Sync to work right:
- This is a mess of technology, and badly designed, why is this not fixed yet by Nvidia?
G-Sync was released in 2013 or before, almost 4 years ago.
2) My screen is 120hz, so i need to limit the frame rate to 118fps for everything to work as it should?
3) If i have G-Sync on with V-Sync off, do i get any benefits from G-Sync?
I know i will get tearing but at low fps, G-Sync smooths the frame rate right?
4) In the screen options menu i see a 3D Option, does my screen supports 3D?
5) What happens if i turn G-Sync On with Adaptive Sync On?
6) Does G-Sync affects performance at all?
With G-Sync On, FireStrike 16.531
With G-Sync Off, FireStrike 17.682
-How is this possible?
Thank you very much for your time,