[Thread Superseded] G-Sync 101 w/Chart (WIP)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: G-Sync 101 w/Chart (WIP)

Post by jorimt » 12 Mar 2017, 22:06

MT_ wrote:So 55fps in game cap with V-sync off is still showing some occasional tears on the bottom of screen and once in a while somewhere in the middle.

Is that a guideline that I should probably even go lower if I want V-sync on with no latency? I feel there are random times where input latency differ still, I guess this happens when the tear would occur in the middle of the screen when Vsync is off.

The in-game cap just fluctuates a lot, especially when assets are being loaded or the engine stalls.
Seems 54~fps is much safer.
To start, as my OP showed, there doesn't appear to be any benefit to G-Sync + v-sync off + fps limit over G-Sync + v-sync on + fps limit, at least if you're looking for a 100% tear-free experience.

With G-Sync + v-sync off, you're going to get tearing, period. That, and you have to lower the fps limiter a considerable amount more, just to have less (bottom) tearing, when compared to G-Sync + v-sync on, which only needs 2-3 frames below the display's refresh rate limit to avoid v-sync-level input latency, and it's tear-free.

As for frametime spikes during asset loads (etc), that's unavoidable with virtually any configuration. I also don't see how a lower fps limit would help in these situations, as the framerate is lowering, not raising during these spikes.

That said, while no syncing method (or lack thereof) is immune to frametime spikes, I assume certain methods allow the framerate/frametime delivery to recover from these instances more quickly.

So yes, it's possible in certain instances, that the frametime compensation G-Sync implements during frametime spikes (to avoid tearing) could cause slower recovery after a frametime spike when compared to G-Sync + v-sync off, or standalone v-sync off.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

MT_

Post by MT_ » 13 Mar 2017, 12:26

jorimt wrote:
MT_ wrote:So 55fps in game cap with V-sync off is still showing some occasional tears on the bottom of screen and once in a while somewhere in the middle.

Is that a guideline that I should probably even go lower if I want V-sync on with no latency? I feel there are random times where input latency differ still, I guess this happens when the tear would occur in the middle of the screen when Vsync is off.

The in-game cap just fluctuates a lot, especially when assets are being loaded or the engine stalls.
Seems 54~fps is much safer.
To start, as my OP showed, there doesn't appear to be any benefit to G-Sync + v-sync off + fps limit over G-Sync + v-sync on + fps limit, at least if you're looking for a 100% tear-free experience.

With G-Sync + v-sync off, you're going to get tearing, period. That, and you have to lower the fps limiter a considerable amount more, just to have less (bottom) tearing, when compared to G-Sync + v-sync on, which only needs 2-3 frames below the display's refresh rate limit to avoid v-sync-level input latency, and it's tear-free.

As for frametime spikes during asset loads (etc), that's unavoidable with virtually any configuration. I also don't see how a lower fps limit would help in these situations, as the framerate is lowering, not raising during these spikes.

That said, while no syncing method (or lack thereof) is immune to frametime spikes, I assume certain methods allow the framerate/frametime delivery to recover from these instances more quickly.

So yes, it's possible in certain instances, that the frametime compensation G-Sync implements during frametime spikes (to avoid tearing) could cause slower recovery after a frametime spike when compared to G-Sync + v-sync off, or standalone v-sync off.
Yeah, its all getting clear to me now. I saw your older post about your own findings and I pretty much sense the same behavior here.

I have no option but to run Vsync off though, and try to eliminate any possible engine stutter as much as I can.
I really do think that having a 120hz or so monitor would ease much of the pains of G-sync versus 60hz, and I can only hope someday i can replace my godly XB321HK but for now there is little alternative unless I want to lose my 4K and 32" Size :C
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

MaxiJazz

Post by MaxiJazz » 14 Mar 2017, 05:28

Greetings @jorimt!
Recently one guy on Russlan forum (overclockers.ru) foung registry key for disabling "Table fog". He said, that this greatly help with minimize camera input lag in games.
https://forums.overclockers.ru/viewtopi ... agecontent (Use auto google translate)

You need to add DWORD key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\nVidia corporacion\Global\NvTweak
https://forums.overclockers.ru/download ... &mode=view (screen)

Screen with disabled "Table fog" - https://forums.overclockers.ru/download ... &mode=view and https://forums.overclockers.ru/download ... &mode=view

Tried this on my laptop and it likes more sensitive for input (placebo?)
Can you measure it in "numbers" \ does it make sense to G-sync displays? (Don't tried it yet on my desktop with G-sync, only laptop w\o it)

Sorry for my bad English, hope you understand me. :D
P.S. Thx for your testing, it's really helpful.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Mar 2017, 09:44

MT_ wrote:I really do think that having a 120hz or so monitor would ease much of the pains of G-sync versus 60hz, and I can only hope someday i can replace my godly XB321HK but for now there is little alternative unless I want to lose my 4K and 32" Size :C
Yes, since you're on 4K, I would not recommend buying a new monitor, since the very near future (couple of months) looks like this:

www. **************** .com/reviews/acer-predator-xb272-hdr-review

Well, if you're willing to pay, that is :-P
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Mar 2017, 11:40

MaxiJazz wrote:Greetings @jorimt!
Recently one guy on Russlan forum (overclockers.ru) foung registry key for disabling "Table fog". He said, that this greatly help with minimize camera input lag in games.
Thanks for your suggestion! This merits worth investigation.

I've now recently sent jorimt a modified computer mouse (LED attachment) for even more accurate GSYNC testing. He should be posting some really great data in the coming weeks!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

MT_

Post by MT_ » 14 Mar 2017, 12:39

RealNC wrote:
MT_ wrote:I really do think that having a 120hz or so monitor would ease much of the pains of G-sync versus 60hz, and I can only hope someday i can replace my godly XB321HK but for now there is little alternative unless I want to lose my 4K and 32" Size :C
Yes, since you're on 4K, I would not recommend buying a new monitor, since the very near future (couple of months) looks like this:

I'm willing to pay 1500+ bucks for a 32" version :P

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 14 Mar 2017, 13:13

MT_ wrote:
RealNC wrote: Yes, since you're on 4K, I would not recommend buying a new monitor, since the very near future (couple of months) looks like this:

I'm willing to pay 1500+ bucks for a 32" version :P
I'm in the same boat, but I highly suspect that 1500 bucks will be what they charge for the 27" version...

I guess I'll just have to sell a kidney and a testicle :lol:
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

akirru

Post by akirru » 15 Mar 2017, 08:26

I would like to start by saying thank-you for all of your hard work jorimt :D

I just had a quick question to ask you. Does it matter at all if you change the pre-rendered frames whilst gsync is activated? I'm quite sensitive to mouse lag. And I usually set it to pre-rendered frame "1" ... I just wanted to find out if its recommended to do this whilst using G-sync.

Thanks
Andrew

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Mar 2017, 08:51

akirru wrote:I just had a quick question to ask you. Does it matter at all if you change the pre-rendered frames whilst gsync is activated? I'm quite sensitive to mouse lag. And I usually set it to pre-rendered frame "1" ... I just wanted to find out if its recommended to do this whilst using G-sync.
Since he didn't test for that specifically (yet?), you can try and set it to the maximum value possible (in NVidia Inspector; the NVCP setting doesn't go high enough while Inspector goes up to 7 or so) and see whether you get huge mouse lag. If you can't tell a difference between 1 and the max value, then it seems it doesn't matter.

Make sure you test several games though, since not all games are actually affected by that setting in the same way. I know Skyrim is affected by this for sure, so best start with that one.

MT_

Post by MT_ » 16 Mar 2017, 17:57

akirru wrote:I would like to start by saying thank-you for all of your hard work jorimt :D

I just had a quick question to ask you. Does it matter at all if you change the pre-rendered frames whilst gsync is activated? I'm quite sensitive to mouse lag. And I usually set it to pre-rendered frame "1" ... I just wanted to find out if its recommended to do this whilst using G-sync.

Thanks
Andrew
As RealNC said, it depends on game. Some games force their own pre-rendered frames setting I believe, albeit rarely.

Personally I've noticed huge lag (but also a tiny bit more stable frametimes) in my game with pre-rendered at 8, so the effect is definately not negated by G-sync.