Apparently 3D Vision should work on ALL G-Sync monitors?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
RealNC
Site Admin

Apparently 3D Vision should work on ALL G-Sync monitors?

Post by RealNC » 31 Mar 2017, 08:14

A while back, some people claimed 3D Vision is built-in into the G-Sync module and thus works on all G-Sync monitors that can do 120Hz and ULMB:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=73

Nobody seems to have tried that yet though. And no official confirmation ever came from NVidia.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 3D Vision kit. If anyone here has a full kit (USB IR emitter + glasses), *and* a G-Sync monitor that does not have the "3D Vision" logo/certification on it and is not sold/advertised as "3D Vision Ready" or anything like that, but does have ULMB and at least 120Hz, this would be a nice test.

Or if someone has actual contacts at NVidia, they could ask too, I guess :mrgreen:
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Apparently 3D Vision should work on ALL G-Sync monitors?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2017, 11:25

RealNC wrote:A while back, some people claimed 3D Vision is built-in into the G-Sync module and thus works on all G-Sync monitors that can do 120Hz and ULMB:
As far as I know, it should be in all 144Hz+ TN G-SYNC monitors, yes.

I believe, and from all anecdotes I've read 3D Vision had always worked on the TN ones. Generally, it has been package deal for 144Hz+ TN panels, G-SYNC + ULMB + 3DVision is part of NVIDIA programming in TN G-SYNC firmwares. But not on all G-SYNC monitors in general.

There are 100Hz and 120Hz G-SYNC monitors that does not even manage to have strobing, due to panel limitations (e.g. VA, IPS).

See List of G-SYNC Monitors for G-SYNC monitors with ULMB, versus without ULMB. Generally, if it's TN and if it has ULMB, then it also has hidden 3D Vision support too.

There are 3D Vision compatible displays not even listed on NVIDIA's official list of 3D Vision Ready displays. This may be because that particular display may not have the LightBoost backlight overvoltage technique of brighter strobe flashes. If it doesn't have that, it's not allowed to be officially advertised as LightBoost or 3DVision. But generally, ULMB and LightBoost is otherwise very nearly identical but not the same overdrive/picture settings (LIghtBoost uses a slightly different overdrive algorithm -- LightBoost has lower contrast / lower dynamic range in order to improve overdrive to reduce strobe crosstalk). So it may be an unadvertised feature.

Also, it's possible to co-opt ULMB (combined with an emitter emulator) to be the 3D Vision strobe backlight. So even if LightBoost (Might be worth a try in the IPS / VA ones... I haven't heard of anyone successfully doing 3D Vision on those)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Mar 2017, 12:16

So since I'm on IPS (even though it does ULMB strobing and supports 120Hz), it will probably not work simply because it's IPS?

I really wish there was some official statement from NVidia on this though. Unfortunately, I don't live in a region where I can buy a 3D Vision kit and then send it back simply because "I don't like it." It has to be defective, otherwise you can't send it back :-P

Edit:
No, wait, you said 144Hz, not 120Hz. I thought 3D Vision was 120Hz strobed (60Hz for each eye.)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Mar 2017, 19:39

RealNC wrote:No, wait, you said 144Hz, not 120Hz. I thought 3D Vision was 120Hz strobed (60Hz for each eye.)
Yes, 120Hz strobed.

There's very few TN monitors that can't do 144Hz. Indeed, early 120Hz monitors (e.g. VG278H before the VG278HE) omitted the 144Hz feature, even though they had 120Hz nonstrobed and strobed. But today, no currently-manufactured TN monitors capable of 3D Vision does less than 144Hz non-strobed.

Generally, a monitor kinda needs to be capable of "144Hz non-strobed" in order to be able to do "120Hz strobed" without too much crosstalk.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 31 Mar 2017, 21:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Generally, a monitor kinda needs to be capable of "144Hz non-strobed" in order to be able to do "120Hz strobed" without too much crosstalk.
The one I got here does 165Hz even though it's IPS, so it should theoretically qualify :-P

The thing is that nobody ever tested. Hence my request to people with non-3D monitors to test them if they have a kit :) I understand why NVidia doesn't want to say anything about this, since people might get disappointed by crosstalk or brightness issues. But building an unofficial list of monitors that work with a 3D kit would be useful.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Apr 2017, 02:18

Just change the monitor id to ACI27F8 in CRU, that will let you pass the prerequisites and enable 3D.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 Apr 2017, 10:15

Alright, I found what appears to be the first report of a non-certified monitor working with 3D vision:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 271hu-yes-

It's the Acer XB271HU, an IPS monitor that is very similar to my XG2703-GS (spec-wise, it looks like it's 1:1 identical.)

RLBURNSIDE

Post by RLBURNSIDE » 09 Apr 2017, 19:57

I've got the Acer XB270HU, I wonder if it'll work. Then again, I usually game on my projector, and...I avoided purchasing Nvidia 3D stuff due to poor support.

TBH 3D support via either LCD or LCoS is almost always inferior to DLP and I'd rather 60hz per eye via SBS on my DLP (0 pixel transition time between frames, no crosstalk whatsoever due to the digital nature of DLP). Even more importantly, if you want 3D for gaming, you're better off with a VR helmet (maybe wait for 2nd gen, wireless versions).