How does FreeSync look compared to G-Sync at this point?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jorimt

Re: How does FreeSync look compared to G-Sync at this point?

Post by jorimt » 05 May 2017, 10:04

Sparky wrote: That's exactly what I mean by "overshoot". Framerate limiter sees framerate is too low, so it tries to correct, but because of the nature of the hitch, any correction is too much.

Not sure how to properly investigate it. To start with you'd have to be able to repeatably introduce framerate hitches of a known character, and see how the limit reacts to it. Ideally you get source code access to the framerate limiter, coupled with FCAT, so you can see exactly how much time the framerate limiter is impacting each frame.
I see. I wasn't aware that fps limiters had any projectional or regulatory control over framerate well below the set fps limit, though this does make sense now that I think of Unreal Engine's "bSmoothFrameRate" parameter.

Do you know if this behavior applies to all fps limiters, or is it limited to a certain type (in-game, CPU-side, driver-level, etc)?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 05 May 2017, 15:13

jorimt wrote:Do you know if this behavior applies to all fps limiters, or is it limited to a certain type (in-game, CPU-side, driver-level, etc)?
Don't know, it's not something I can easily test. It would depend on where the limiter is in the pipeline, where the limiter measures framrate, if it does any averaging, and which part of the pipeline caused the hitch.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 05 May 2017, 15:51

No doubt, I appreciate the initial info.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)