Learning about G-SYNC?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Learning about G-SYNC?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Dec 2013, 12:25

There's some cool information about G-SYNC if you're not familiar.

Blur Busters' GSYNC Preview -- We test G-SYNC.
NVIDIA's page on GSYNC -- The manufacturer tells all.
Stutter Demo -- TestUFO.com animation of stutters, tearing, slowdowns, and other issues solved by GSYNC.[/list]

Feel free to post about G-SYNC as a new topic in this forum!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chickenfeed

Re: Learning about G-SYNC?

Post by Chickenfeed » 02 Jan 2014, 18:30

I see that G-Sync doesn't currently function in surround. Now for clarity's sake, does that include using a primary G-Sync display and using additional displays for non gaming purposes (eg I use a secondary display along my primary for web browser usage etc. )
Feedanator 6.0
CASE:FT02B|PSU:AX850|CPU:i7 4770K|Mobo:Z87 Pro|Ram:8x2GB GSkill 2400|GPU:SLI GTX 780 3GB|HD:M4 128GB+256GB/F1 1TB|SOUND:Titanium HD,PC350|LCD:VG248QE/QH270-lite|OS:Win8 x64 Pro|INPUT:SS Sensei /w HD9/DasUltSilent|COOLING:H80

bakageta

Post by bakageta » 02 Jan 2014, 18:39

Chickenfeed wrote:I see that G-Sync doesn't currently function in surround. Now for clarity's sake, does that include using a primary G-Sync display and using additional displays for non gaming purposes (eg I use a secondary display along my primary for web browser usage etc. )
Using a single gaming monitor with gsync and a secondary non-gaming traditional display works just fine. This is currently the setup we're running, with no issues. I expect it will be fine with multiple non-gaming displays, I just haven't dragged another monitor over to dreamss' pc.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 18:40

Chickenfeed wrote:I see that G-Sync doesn't currently function in surround. Now for clarity's sake, does that include using a primary G-Sync display and using additional displays for non gaming purposes (eg I use a secondary display along my primary for web browser usage etc. )
You can still use a GSYNC monitor with other monitors, but you can only run GSYNC mode on the primary at a time.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chickenfeed

Post by Chickenfeed » 02 Jan 2014, 19:20

Great to hear :)
Feedanator 6.0
CASE:FT02B|PSU:AX850|CPU:i7 4770K|Mobo:Z87 Pro|Ram:8x2GB GSkill 2400|GPU:SLI GTX 780 3GB|HD:M4 128GB+256GB/F1 1TB|SOUND:Titanium HD,PC350|LCD:VG248QE/QH270-lite|OS:Win8 x64 Pro|INPUT:SS Sensei /w HD9/DasUltSilent|COOLING:H80

Computron

Post by Computron » 02 Jan 2014, 21:50

Chief Blur Buster wrote:You can still use a GSYNC monitor with other monitors, but you can only run GSYNC mode on the primary at a time.
Can I run a game in surround with only the center monitor G-Synced and the other two in V-Sync/No-Sync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2014, 21:52

Computron wrote:Can I run a game in surround with only the center monitor G-Synced and the other two in V-Sync/No-Sync?
No, you can't run in mixed sync modes on different monitors.

You can only run either:
-- Run game in surround mode on all three, but non-GSYNC mode. (Either VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF).
-- Run game in GSYNC mode, only on center/primary monitor. (side monitors idling, or used to display your favourite cheatsheets/walkthroughs).

All GSYNC monitors can fallback to support traditional VSYNC OFF or VSYNC ON.

joncppl

Post by joncppl » 02 Jan 2014, 23:31

Does anyone know if NVIDIA will change this in the future with a driver update?
I have 3xVG248QEs and use surround, and having the center one g-sync with the side ones left normal sounds good to me.

Edit:
Also, will the G-SYNC module alter the colours of the display?
For example, if I mod my center monitor(which I plan to do) would its colours be different from the monitors with the colour settings left not-fiddled-with?

Dustmuffins

Post by Dustmuffins » 06 Jan 2014, 20:39

Can you release any details on the Nvidia Gsync OSD vs the stock VG248QE OSD?

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 06 Jan 2014, 21:00

Dustmuffins wrote:Can you release any details on the Nvidia Gsync OSD vs the stock VG248QE OSD?
Here is some info from bakageta at overclock.net:
Now, obviously since we scrap the entire pcb for the ASUS monitor, we lose everything associated with it. That means all of the OSD, including things like the crosshair overlays. The G-Sync OSD is very minimal, with just an info panel, brightness control, and button to enable/disable ULMB (the improved lightboost mode). ULMB seemed to look much less washed out than the hacked lightboost modes we ran before, however there's really no options for it, it's either on or off. ULMB won't work if you're in a g-sync mode, either, though hopefully that changes in the future.
Also, check out the Chief's guide to Adjusting Colors in G-SYNC / ULMB. :) Edit: Which you've already read, lol.
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750