Image difference between 144Hz and 60Hz

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
christizzz

Image difference between 144Hz and 60Hz

Post by christizzz » 14 May 2020, 08:05

Hello,

So here is my "problem".I dont know if it is a problem or a normal behavior.
I have an acer predator xb271hu with gsync ( TN Panel). It has a native refresh rate of 144Hz.

Eveything was working as intended... then i noticed 2 things/ problems:

Specs:
  • i5 6600k
    GTX 1070
    Gsync Active only in Fullscreen and Vsync Active under Nvidia Control Panel ( off in applications)
    I capped the FPS to 141fps in the nvidia control pael
    Resolution: 2560x1440
Problem A)
in Loading screens and sometimes when the FPS is kinda unstable like varying a lot ( for example froping from 130fps to 90 fps, or when dipping under 50fps)...i see some backlight flicker...
I think this is due to the Gsync. Because it goes away if Gsync is disabled. is this normal behavior ?

Problem B) ( the more annoying)
I was trying to troubleshoot a game not capping its FPS.... so i changed the Refresh rate of the monitor from 144Hz to 60Hz in the NVidia COntrol pannel. I noticed that the smoothness was really bad... ( i guess this is intended since 144 is waaay smother than 60)... but what was weird is that the image quality was a bit bad. Forcing the Monitor to 60Hz, i noticed that the pixels are like "trembling"/"flickering" really fast... so in grey backgrounds/ Blue Backgrounds i can see some kind of thin vertical lines ( width of a pixel)... the image wasnt as "smooth" as with 144Hz . Again ai am not talking abt the movement smoothness... i am talking more abt "grainy" image smoothness....
I plugged my Work Notebook to the monitor to test it... i could also see the lines/ bluriness . So thi is definitely not PC related.
Does running the monitor with refresh rate other than 144 create such effect ?

another user made a photoshop of what it looks like: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/69 ... nt=8874749 (again it is not as visibile as the pictures but its just to get an idea of what i am seeing... the lines are not as spaced as in the pictures...they are more like a pixel wide and a pixel size spaced )

Thank you in advance