[FIXED] XG270 adaptive sync issue on W10 start menu (videos attached)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
nextdayair

[FIXED] XG270 adaptive sync issue on W10 start menu (videos attached)

Post by nextdayair » 22 Jun 2020, 16:01

Hello Blur Busters,

I very recently purchased the XG270 Elite. I have tested its adaptive sync/G-SYNC implementation in 3D games, and it works fantastically.

However, on the desktop, when I open my Windows 10 start menu, my monitor's vertical frequency immediately drops to ~40Hz and then struggles to rise back up to ~240Hz. This behavior never occurred on my old monitor (G-SYNC compatible Acer XF250Q Cbmiiprx).

Really, this is not a big deal, but it is quite annoying that every time I want to open my start menu, my entire screen lags severely for ~3 seconds.

Is this just a characteristic of the Freesync implementation on the XG270? Does anyone else have this issue on their own XG270?

Very Respectfully,
nextdayair

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]
Last edited by nextdayair on 22 Jun 2020, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.

jorimt

Re: XG270 adaptive sync issue on W10 start menu (videos attached)

Post by jorimt » 22 Jun 2020, 16:27

nextdayair wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 16:01
when I open my Windows 10 start menu, my monitor's vertical frequency immediately drops to ~40Hz and then struggles to rise back up to ~240Hz.
This behavior is expected if you're using this option:

If this is what you have it set to, and you want to avoid this, I recommend following the instructions in my G-SYNC 101 Closing FAQ here (relevant text emboldened):
https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101- ... ttings/15/
Your “Optimal G-SYNC Settings” say I should only “Enable [G-SYNC] for full screen mode” in the NVCP, but what about for games that don’t offer an exclusive fullscreen option?

My Optimal G-SYNC Settings are just that: optimal.

Thus, while G-SYNC (and any game with any syncing solution, for that matter) typically performs best in exclusive fullscreen, it is true that not all games support this mode, so use of G-SYNC’s “Enable for windowed and fullscreen mode” is necessary for games that only offer a borderless or windowed option.

Do note, however, that G-SYNC’s “Enable for windowed and full screen mode” can apply to non-game apps as well, which will result in stutter and slowdown when affected app windows are dragged and/or focused on due to unintended VRR (variable refresh rate) behavior.

As such, it is recommended to keep G-SYNC set to “Enable for full screen mode” globally, and then to use Nvidia Profile Inspector (download here) to set both “G-SYNC – Application Mode” and “G-SYNC – Global Mode” to “Fullscreen and Windowed” per game profile, as needed:

(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

nextdayair

Re: XG270 adaptive sync issue on W10 start menu (videos attached)

Post by nextdayair » 22 Jun 2020, 17:03

I see.

I did try flipping the Fullscreen only and Fullscreen and Windowed option back and forth and applying, but there seemed to be no difference in the graphics driver's behavior on my PC, even after multiple restarts.

I *did* fix the issue just now by reinstalling Nvidia graphics drivers... Crazy how I instantly resorted to pinning the blame on my new monitor rather than checking for driver corruption first.

Thanks for the clarification and the help.

Sincerely,
nextdayair