News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
omgBlur

News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Post by omgBlur » 27 May 2014, 07:57

It had been a while since I googled "Asus PG278Q release date" so I decided to give it a go and found this article from pcmonitors. They estimate a mid-July release with a price of $799 USD

http://pcmonitors.info/asus/asus-pg278q ... rettyPhoto

smbrm

Re: News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Post by smbrm » 27 May 2014, 09:43

This sentence:

Nvidia 3D Vision support has also been confirmed for this monitor, at the full native 2560 x 1440 resolution, but this will be a separate mode which can not be activated at the same time as G-SYNC (much like on the BenQ ‘G’ series).

that you cannot have 3D and g-sync at the same time?

Hmm, in order to get these out relatively quickly it sounds like the first iteration will only have display port connectivity and lack the flexibility for 3D g-sync?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2014, 09:49

smbrm wrote:This sentence:

Nvidia 3D Vision support has also been confirmed for this monitor, at the full native 2560 x 1440 resolution, but this will be a separate mode which can not be activated at the same time as G-SYNC (much like on the BenQ ‘G’ series).

that you cannot have 3D and g-sync at the same time?

Hmm, in order to get these out relatively quickly it sounds like the first iteration will only have display port connectivity and lack the flexibility for 3D g-sync?
3D and GSYNC would need to switch to a different 3D method than shutter glasses, due to the random flicker that variable frame rate would cause.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

smbrm

Post by smbrm » 27 May 2014, 11:53

Thanks

Good point.

Seems like while g-sync will bring positives it won't be everything to start!

It's just nice to understand what to expect going in.

I'm in need of a new monitor for rFactor2 sim racing and keep wondering if g-sync is worth the wait?

Cheers

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 27 May 2014, 12:51

smbrm wrote:I'm in need of a new monitor for rFactor2 sim racing and keep wondering if g-sync is worth the wait?
Yes. Just yes. It IS worth the wait, especially when so close. And more than worth the added cost to the monitor it comes with.

Sad news is that both the 24" and 27" 1080p BENQs have been delayed till September.
And so, the only two confirmed gsync monitors to look forward to in June are the AOC 24"1080p and the Asus 27"1440p.

But we have Computex2014 in a week, so lets hope for some more announcements, like a proper release date for that Acer 4k gsync. I personally hope (so hard it hurts) for a 21:9 gsync announcement.

smbrm

Post by smbrm » 27 May 2014, 16:08

Where did you see that BenQ had been delayed to September? Officially?
At this rate the consumer oculus rift will be available!!

Good thing I am fixing the dead capacitors in my old flat screen. My 17" CRT is making my brain feel cramped!
:)

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 27 May 2014, 16:26

Is there any confirmation on if this will run at 144Hz? Some of the things I read made it sound like it might only be 120Hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2014, 18:13

smbrm wrote:Where did you see that BenQ had been delayed to September? Officially?
At this rate the consumer oculus rift will be available!!
Good thing I am fixing the dead capacitors in my old flat screen. My 17" CRT is making my brain feel cramped!
:)
At Blur Busters, monitor upgrade cycles are accelerated (at least for the moment). This is due to the sudden emergence of multiple new motion-fluidity-improving technologies in gaming monitors (120Hz, 144Hz, GSYNC, LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240, BENQ Blur Reduction).

So for the moment, monitor upgrade cycles have become an annual thing for some of us, much like GPUs. For those of us who are tight in money, and prefer to stick to 5+ year upgrade cycles for displays, it's very hard right now and will be very hard for the next few years, due to the fast moving targets. As a compromise, some of us settle with one of the more inexpensive sub-$300 120Hz technologies (e.g. BENQ XL2411Z or ASUS VG248QE) while we wait for the GSYNC flood to come.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

smbrm

Post by smbrm » 27 May 2014, 23:22

I just upgraded my computer for rfactor2, so decided a new monitor might be in order, especially since the capacitors crapped out on my syncmaster 204B. I also use my monitor for vector illustration. I liked the 204B, and the capacitor repair is pretty cheap, so I guess I can wait some more if the capacitor repair is successful.

BenQ XL2420Z and its predecessor sounded interesting until g-sync, especially the mode switch.

But it is interesting to learn about these new monitor technologies.

Like everything else stuff just keeps changing! :roll:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 May 2014, 23:35

smbrm wrote:BenQ XL2420Z and its predecessor sounded interesting until g-sync, especially the mode switch.
Also, the lower-end XL2411Z which is about a hundred dollars cheaper -- it's more price-competitive to the ASUS VG248QE. Same picture quality, but less fancy bezel, fewer inputs & no remote (if you don't need it).