News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
omgBlur

Re: News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Post by omgBlur » 03 Jun 2014, 15:14

Q83Ia7ta wrote: And it will be 144Hz for sure!
One thing to mention from a post about the monitor on reddit. It says it's 60-120-144Hz Overclocking. So does that mean the PCB inside is a native 60Hz that OC's to 144Hz (like the Qnix or Overlord monitors do) or is it a PCB designed to run @ 144Hz by default. Not sure how to interpret that image as it could be the marketing team using the word "Overclocking" to attract the gamers.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 03 Jun 2014, 16:32

omgBlur wrote:One thing to mention from a post about the monitor on reddit. It says it's 60-120-144Hz Overclocking. So does that mean the PCB inside is a native 60Hz that OC's to 144Hz (like the Qnix or Overlord monitors do) or is it a PCB designed to run @ 144Hz by default. Not sure how to interpret that image as it could be the marketing team using the word "Overclocking" to attract the gamers.
Marketing team using the word "Overclocking" to attract the gamers.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 03 Jun 2014, 19:16

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
omgBlur wrote:One thing to mention from a post about the monitor on reddit. It says it's 60-120-144Hz Overclocking. So does that mean the PCB inside is a native 60Hz that OC's to 144Hz (like the Qnix or Overlord monitors do) or is it a PCB designed to run @ 144Hz by default. Not sure how to interpret that image as it could be the marketing team using the word "Overclocking" to attract the gamers.
Marketing team using the word "Overclocking" to attract the gamers.
My hope is that they mean it is overclockable for even higher refresh rates, but my bet is on what you said.

I'm buying it either way since it supports 144Hz though.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jun 2014, 19:37

What I am very interested in this monitor's strobe capability, as being the first official strobe-capable 1440p monitor. I imagine it will be the standard 85Hz, 100Hz and 120Hz rates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2014, 01:43

Is it possible to run 144Hz in 1440p without overclocking? I would imagine neither DVI nor DisplayPort would allow for this without overclocking.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 04 Jun 2014, 04:13

RealNC wrote:
Is it possible to run 144Hz in 1440p without overclocking? I would imagine neither DVI nor DisplayPort would allow for this without overclocking.
Why? those wires run 144 hz monitors now, dont they? And resolution is just a matter of bandwidth (so is color depth and refresh rates).

I was considering this monitor because i am not able wait till September for the benq ones, even tho this is fucking expensive and i know asus just wants to grab my utters and milk the fuck out of me till a dry carcass remains on the road side.

But if it turns out to be native 60 hz and you "can overclock it to 144!"... well fuck that. Waiting till september for 144hz native gsync monitors from Benq then.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2014, 04:37

Edmond wrote:
RealNC wrote:Is it possible to run 144Hz in 1440p without overclocking? I would imagine neither DVI nor DisplayPort would allow for this without overclocking.
Why? those wires run 144 hz monitors now, dont they? And resolution is just a matter of bandwidth (so is color depth and refresh rates).
At 1080p, 144Hz is the maximum supported by DVI. That's why 144Hz was chosen; "144" wasn't an arbitrary choice. 1440p at 144Hz is not possible without exceeding the DVI bandwidth limit. And if you exceed it, you're "overclocking" it :)
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 04 Jun 2014, 06:18

RealNC wrote:
Edmond wrote:
RealNC wrote:Is it possible to run 144Hz in 1440p without overclocking? I would imagine neither DVI nor DisplayPort would allow for this without overclocking.
At 1080p, 144Hz is the maximum supported by DVI. That's why 144Hz was chosen; "144" wasn't an arbitrary choice. 1440p at 144Hz is not possible without exceeding the DVI bandwidth limit. And if you exceed it, you're "overclocking" it :)
According to this bandwidth calculator: http://emsai.net/projects/widescreen/bandwidth/
I dont see how 144hz @ 1080p can exactly cap Dual Link DVI.

I always thought that 144hz were chosen because they neatly divide by 24 and 48. Since movies struggling to switch to 48, that seemed appropriate.

Im not too sure, but i think if you exceed the cable bandwidth you are going to get skipped frames, artifacts, whatever. Cuz you cant just push more through the copper than there is room for.

Also, all these gsync monitors are DP1.2 connected. And that has enough bandwidth to push 3440x1440 @ 8bit color depth @ 144hz. Or a 1080p monitor @ 240hz with lots of room left. And thats without touching the cable overhead.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2014, 07:08

Edmond wrote:According to this bandwidth calculator: http://emsai.net/projects/widescreen/bandwidth/
I dont see how 144hz @ 1080p can exactly cap Dual Link DVI.
It's close to the cap. 1440p exceeds it. For 2560x1440@144Hz, you get:

12.74 Gbit/s (ideal).
14.51 Gbit/s (CVT-RB).
18.14 Gbit/s (CVT-RB + TDMS 8b10b).
I always thought that 144hz were chosen because they neatly divide by 24 and 48. Since movies struggling to switch to 48, that seemed appropriate.
So does 168Hz. But that exceeds the DVI limit. So 144Hz was chosen.
Im not too sure, but i think if you exceed the cable bandwidth you are going to get skipped frames, artifacts, whatever. Cuz you cant just push more through the copper than there is room for.
The wire supports way higher than that. Skipped frames are the result of the monitor itself having a limitation, not the wire. People with SL-DVI connections and cables have been overclocking their monitors for a long time now, exceeding the 3.96 Gbit/s limit by a large margin, running nearly 120Hz over SL-DVI.
Also, all these gsync monitors are DP1.2 connected. And that has enough bandwidth to push 3440x1440 @ 8bit color depth @ 144hz. Or a 1080p monitor @ 240hz with lots of room left. And thats without touching the cable overhead.
I suppose the Asus then refers to DVI when it says "144Hz overclocking".

smbrm

Post by smbrm » 04 Jun 2014, 11:54

smbrm wrote:I just upgraded my computer for rfactor2, so decided a new monitor might be in order, especially since the capacitors crapped out on my syncmaster 204B. I also use my monitor for vector illustration. I liked the 204B, and the capacitor repair is pretty cheap, so I guess I can wait some more if the capacitor repair is successful.

BenQ XL2420Z and its predecessor sounded interesting until g-sync, especially the mode switch.

But it is interesting to learn about these new monitor technologies.

Like everything else stuff just keeps changing! :roll:
Capacitor repair successfully completed on my old flat screen. Total cost $5.20 plus a little time. New capacitors were a little larger in diameter so required a tiny adjustment to remain physically separated. Brain has now re-expanded to the my old screen dimensions!

So now I can wait to see how the monitor saga plays out.

Hope the story is shorter rather than longer, but it will no doubt have twists & turns!

I think it will be a few more months.