News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Black Octagon

Re: News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Post by Black Octagon » 06 Nov 2014, 21:57

Unfortunately, flickering appears to be a not uncommon problem with G-Sync based on what I have read on other forums like ASUS ROG and the GeForce boards. Not sure what the solution could be other than complaining to NV.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 06 Nov 2014, 23:05

Black Octagon wrote:Unfortunately, flickering appears to be a not uncommon problem with G-Sync based on what I have read on other forums like ASUS ROG and the GeForce boards. Not sure what the solution could be other than complaining to NV.
I've only heard of it happening during loading screens and when people aren't using the DP cable that came with it.

The only time it happens to me is during loading screens.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 07 Nov 2014, 07:29

I've also read about it happening when the frame rate drops below 30fps

weapon

Post by weapon » 07 Nov 2014, 09:12

sharknice wrote:
Black Octagon wrote:Unfortunately, flickering appears to be a not uncommon problem with G-Sync based on what I have read on other forums like ASUS ROG and the GeForce boards. Not sure what the solution could be other than complaining to NV.
I've only heard of it happening during loading screens and when people aren't using the DP cable that came with it.

Is there something special about the DP cable that it comes with? Where I plan to put my monitor is a bit far from my desktop and I usually need to buy extenders. Was going to have to look into a Displayport extender, would that cause a problem?

IwantGSYNC

Post by IwantGSYNC » 08 Nov 2014, 08:48

Here is Russlan review of the monitor:
http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/65051/ob ... annyh.html
Average input lag 4.2 ms, PWM-Free or High-Frequency PWM, strong crystal effect, strong color shift, viewing angles are bad, no cross hatching.

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 09 Nov 2014, 19:58

sharknice wrote:

You only notice it when the FPS is really low, like in loading screens.

But in reality, its there.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

jamesmay

Post by jamesmay » 06 Dec 2014, 15:53

Is this monitor working as intended yet? Heard it has alot of various issues.

Im thinking of buying this or the Acer Gsync 4K monitor.

Anarkin

Post by Anarkin » 12 Dec 2014, 15:58

I think G-Sync isn't working right on my ROG. Games are stuttering. I tested it with Settlers 2 - 10th Anniversary and there are minor but noticeable stutters. In Divinity: Original Sin it's really noticeable. It stutters so much, it's pretty much unplayable. Games run the same without G-Sync, there's no difference. What's also strange is, that with G-Sync enabled, games never run with 144 fps. Half-Life 2 runs at 141 max when set to 144Hz or 119, when set to 120Hz. If disabled, it runs with 144 fps. I had the same monitor a couple of months ago and I could swear it wasn't like that.

jamesmay

Post by jamesmay » 16 Dec 2014, 17:28

Anarkin wrote:I think G-Sync isn't working right on my ROG. Games are stuttering. I tested it with Settlers 2 - 10th Anniversary and there are minor but noticeable stutters. In Divinity: Original Sin it's really noticeable. It stutters so much, it's pretty much unplayable. Games run the same without G-Sync, there's no difference. What's also strange is, that with G-Sync enabled, games never run with 144 fps. Half-Life 2 runs at 141 max when set to 144Hz or 119, when set to 120Hz. If disabled, it runs with 144 fps. I had the same monitor a couple of months ago and I could swear it wasn't like that.
Gsync caps framerate below refresh.
Google it.