Exact refresh rates

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
silikone

Exact refresh rates

Post by silikone » 25 Sep 2014, 21:10

How precise are the specified refresh rates, and what is the deal with 59Hz/60Hz modes? I believe CRTs approximated refresh rates at different timings, leading to varations depending on the display resolution. How does this affect Vsynced applications? For example, if a 60 FPS capped game was Vsynced to a VGA/NTSC display at slightly below 60Hz, what would happen if Vsync was enabled with a display mode that refreshed slightly above 60Hz?

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Exact refresh rates

Post by RealNC » 26 Sep 2014, 08:14

Refresh rates are very precise. The used default modes can very a bit from monitor to monitor, but otherwise, they are precise. If a monitor ships with a 60.019Hz mode, then it's gonna be 60.019 every time. It is very precise and is not going to fluctuate.

A 60FPS capped game being vsynced to a higher than 60Hz display mode is going to display the same frame twice (or more) at specific intervals. This interval depends on the refresh rate. For example, at 61Hz, a frame is going to be displayed twice once per second. At 120Hz, every frame is going to be displayed twice.

If the game is being vsynced to a lower than 60Hz mode instead, then the game is going to be capped to that refresh rate as a side-effect of vsync. If you run the game at a 57Hz mode for example, then your game will effectively be capped to 57FPS, even if you've set the frame cap to 60.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.