Overclocking monitor side effects?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
flagbender

Overclocking monitor side effects?

Post by flagbender » 28 Feb 2016, 21:12

I've slightly overclocked my monitor using ToastyX's CRU. The frame skipping check showed up fine on my phone's camera, but I wonder if that's the end of the story.

Could there be additional input lag? Could there be hitches or stutter of some kind? Could it change backlight behaviour possibly? Does it matter that I have RTC/overdrive enabled on my monitor?

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Overclocking monitor side effects?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 29 Feb 2016, 04:18

flagbender wrote:I've slightly overclocked my monitor using ToastyX's CRU. The frame skipping check showed up fine on my phone's camera, but I wonder if that's the end of the story.

Could there be additional input lag? Could there be hitches or stutter of some kind? Could it change backlight behaviour possibly? Does it matter that I have RTC/overdrive enabled on my monitor?
Overclocked mine X-Star DP2414LED from default 144Hz to 201-202 at September 2015 and have no any problems. I've never seen negative experience of tv/monitor overclocking at forums.
But monitors firmware is black box.
May be some monitors add input lag or do something worse at unsupported modes. But I'm sure this cases are very very low.
To compare results of input lag, overdrive quality, response time and etc between overclocked and non-overclocked state requires some skills and equipment so there are not so many results.

flagbender

Re: Overclocking monitor side effects?

Post by flagbender » 29 Feb 2016, 04:43

Fair enough, no way to know, eh? I don't have the equipment so I'll just stick with the defaults.

Thanks for the input