External blur reduction adapter

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
thatoneguy

External blur reduction adapter

Post by thatoneguy » 26 Dec 2016, 23:29

Could it be possible to make some kind of external contraption that can connect to any Display(possibly via USB or something) that can directly control/strobe the backlight?

Like maybe this wouldn't be useful for cheap displays that have low brightness but there's a lot of high brightness displays out there which either have some kind of crap implementation that doesn't work or they have none at all where this kind of idea would be worth considering

Sparky

Re: External blur reduction adapter

Post by Sparky » 27 Dec 2016, 06:04

External? no. There are utilities that let you tweak existing implementations, and it's possible to modify the circuitry that drives the backlight, but displays don't have a "backlight control" input that you could hook an external device to.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 27 Dec 2016, 06:15

genius.jpg

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 27 Dec 2016, 17:56

Sparky wrote:External? no. There are utilities that let you tweak existing implementations, and it's possible to modify the circuitry that drives the backlight, but displays don't have a "backlight control" input that you could hook an external device to.
What I'm thinking of is some sort of a Universal External Adapter(that contains it's own circuitry suitable for strobing) that bypasses/overrides the circuitry of the display so it can turn any display into a strobing one(if brightness is high enough to allow it)

This would basically mean people wouldn't have to hack their displays and modify them

But maybe I'm expecting magic on a can :P :ugeek:
Was just bored and I randomly thought of this idea

EDIT:Apparently I wasn't the first one to think of this idea :mrgreen:
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/pc-mac-l ... -27449394/

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 27 Dec 2016, 18:15

This would be like plugging something into the 12v outlet in your car and expecting it to control your windshield wipers.

Basically, your device can strobe all it wants, but unless you connect the device to the backlight, it won't be strobing the backlight. Connecting your device to the backlight would require modifying the monitor.

Here's something you should read:
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/creating ... t/#hacking

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 27 Dec 2016, 20:48

Sparky wrote:Connecting your device to the backlight would require modifying the monitor.
Actually that article says that you have to modify the backlight itself manually so I guess it isn't possible

Would this perhaps be possible with self-emissive displays like OLED then? Or would you have to modify the OLED's themselves in this case too?

Trip

Post by Trip » 27 Dec 2016, 21:07

You could probably modify most lcd displays to do backlight strobing especially if they dont use PWM. You would have to find the vblank signal attach it to the gate of a mosfet. Connect a capacitor with carefully calculated specs to the power wire which goes to the backlight through the mosfet. Or you could attach the vblank to a micro controller input and have more control over the amount of time the backlight should stay on. Atleast that would be my guess pls dont try it out though and mess up your monitor unless you have finished an education in electronics and designed stuff yourself. I also have no idea if lcd monitors with ccfl backlight would work I think only led backlights would allow strobing. But other then that there is no way you could get strobing to work without ripping apart your monitor.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 27 Dec 2016, 21:08

thatoneguy wrote:
Sparky wrote:Connecting your device to the backlight would require modifying the monitor.
Right. That makes sense!

Would this perhaps be possible with self-emissive displays like OLED then?
Low persistence is possible with OLED, but the monitor still has to be designed to support it. It's the same problem as pulsing a backlight, but now you have to pulse millions of LEDs. Easiest way to do that is to power the control elements of the panel separately from the rail that drives the luminous elements of the display, but if the panel manufacturer doesn't design it that way you're going to have a rough time modding a low persistence mode into it. Another option would be to turn a row off a few tens of microseconds after turning it on, this would likely halve the refresh rate at which the display controller can drive the panel. That might not be a problem if you're limited by the throughput of your computer to display interface.

thatoneguy

Post by thatoneguy » 27 Dec 2016, 21:17

^well yeah I'm aware that without actually modifying the display you can't get optimal results
but my idea is more of a "ghetto solution"...as in this supposed device might work well on some displays but might work like crap on other ones(or might even potentially bust them up...who knows)

I initially thought it would be somehow possible to control the main circuitry(that is driving the backlight on a LCD) through a USB or HDMI port(though of course the display and the circuitry inside it would have to be built with that in mind...if it is even possible in the first place)

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 28 Dec 2016, 13:53

thatoneguy wrote:^well yeah I'm aware that without actually modifying the display you can't get optimal results
but my idea is more of a "ghetto solution"...as in this supposed device might work well on some displays but might work like crap on other ones(or might even potentially bust them up...who knows)
Forget optimal results for now, lets work on any results.

Motion blur is caused by persistence, which is the measurement of how long each frame is illuminated. If your framerate/refresh rate is 120fps, 100% persistence(continuously on backlight) would be 8.3ms. so your motion blur would be the distance your eye moves across the monitor in 8.3ms.

Okay, so now lets talk about your device. What exactly does it do to reduce persistence, and how does it do this without modifying the monitor?
I initially thought it would be somehow possible to control the main circuitry(that is driving the backlight on a LCD) through a USB or HDMI port(though of course the display and the circuitry inside it would have to be built with that in mind...if it is even possible in the first place)
How would that work exactly? Be specific. Why would a monitor designer make the backlight strobeable by an external device instead of just hooking it up to the panel driver? Why would they design the backlight driver to strobe if that's not a feature they intended to add to the display?