Introduction [from a researcher]

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
spacediver

Introduction [from a researcher]

Post by spacediver » 21 Dec 2013, 02:09

Hi all,

I'm one of the moderators of the display science forum, and thought I'd give a brief introduction. I've long been a fan of CRT technology, and have never actually owned anything except a CRT. Over the last year or two, I've become aware, thanks to Mark, of one of the advantages I had been unknowingly enjoying all these years! My academic area is visual neuroscience, and I do a lot of work in psychophysics (where you carefully measure someone's response to various tasks and stimuli). Recently, I've developed a bit of a passion for display science, in particular color science. I hope to be able to contribute here, and help others grasp some of the concepts, as well as learn from others :)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Introduction

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 Dec 2013, 15:26

spacediver wrote:Hi all,

I'm one of the moderators of the display science forum, and thought I'd give a brief introduction. I've long been a fan of CRT technology, and have never actually owned anything except a CRT. Over the last year or two, I've become aware, thanks to Mark, of one of the advantages I had been unknowingly enjoying all these years! My academic area is visual neuroscience, and I do a lot of work in psychophysics (where you carefully measure someone's response to various tasks and stimuli). Recently, I've developed a bit of a passion for display science, in particular color science. I hope to be able to contribute here, and help others grasp some of the concepts, as well as learn from others :)
Welcome, thanks for introducing yourself!

As you work in the same city as I do, and you apparently work in a field related to display science -- why don't you tell all of us what you do, generally -- write a small introduction to the field of work you do! I understand that you use a Sony FW-900 CRT.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spacediver

Re: Introduction [from a researcher]

Post by spacediver » 22 Dec 2013, 00:53

I do a lot of work with face perception and visual masking. There is a lot of behind-the-scenes processing that occurs between photons striking the retina, and a conscious visual experience. Using clever experiments, we can tease apart these processes and measure them, and try to interfere with them.

Lately, I've been doing some work that requires very precise timings of stimuli, where I pulse a stimulus at well defined frequencies. Having a stroboscopic backlight enables me to do this with the confidence that the stimulus is actually only visible during the times I want it to be visible (at the lab we have the ViewPixx display (http://www.vpixx.com/products/visual-st ... wpixx.html).

Over the last few months, I've learned a lot about color science, CRTs, calibration, etc. and it's been a nice way to complement the knowledge and experience I have in my academic field.

At home I have a few sony trinitron CRTs, including some GDM-FW900's (two of which are in working condition). I've played quake for a number of years (quakelive now), and really enjoy the experience that a quality CRT offers.