Here's a real example of a 1000hz display... I think

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Edmond

Re: Here's a real example of a 1000hz display... I think

Post by Edmond » 01 Feb 2015, 16:17

fury wrote:It'd be pretty neat to have 1000hz with 1ms response time.
OLED has a response times of 0.02ms for ALL colors, not just grey2grey. Thats basically the return of CRT for you.
I hear that motion on 60hz OLED looks way better than on 60hz LCD because of that alone.

Also OLED is capable to go like 2000hz high or something, it makes no difference to it.

+you add something like F/A/Gsync and you get a 100% artifact free display

Displayport 1.3 has the bandwidth to do 500hz on 1080p f/a/gsync. I wonder if the chief blurbuster would be able to tell the motion blur difference between a 500hz oled and lightboost.

flood

Post by flood » 01 Feb 2015, 16:47

blah so much misunderstanding around here

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Feb 2015, 21:08

Edmond, I have some corrections for your information about OLEDs:
Edmond wrote:
fury wrote:It'd be pretty neat to have 1000hz with 1ms response time.
OLED has a response times of 0.02ms for ALL colors, not just grey2grey.
Depends on OLED. Active matrix OLED is slower.

Edmond wrote:Thats basically the return of CRT for you.
I hear that motion on 60hz OLED looks way better than on 60hz LCD because of that alone.
Not necessarily. There are LCDs that have less motion blur than OLED. See Why Do Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?. Some OLEDs, such as the one used by Oculus DK2 and newer, do a really good job at eliminating motion blur by using a persistence-lowering rolling OLED scan.
Edmond wrote:Also OLED is capable to go like 2000hz high or something, it makes no difference to it.
Some corrections:
- Response time has no relationship to refresh rate. You can have a 33ms 60Hz display (response slower than a refresh), or a 1ms 120Hz display (response faster than a refresh).
- Refresh rate is not necessarily proportional to motion blur. Persistence is more important than refresh rate, for motion response.

It's important to know not all OLEDs are blur-free and artifact-free. And the best LCDs have better, sharper, clearer and more CRT-like motion, than the worst OLEDs (in terms of OLEDs that don't bother lowering persistence).

That said, a well-optimized OLED will be very aritifact free, I agree. The best OLEDs can blow away the best LCDs, but not every single OLEDs manage to be better than LCDs.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!