3d active glasses hack as personal shutters to lower persist

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
jlafarga

3d active glasses hack as personal shutters to lower persist

Post by jlafarga » 09 May 2014, 20:15

No I haven't done this yet, just wondering if its possible. The idea is as follows: Instead of a strobed backlight why not use a pair of 3d active glasses where instead of alternating each eye, the lenses open and close at the same time thus acting like the mechanical shutters someone talked about in another thread, of course the glasses would have to be in sync with the image and maybe have them open for 1-5ms at the beginning of a new frame and closed the rest of the time then open again and so on. I guess it boils down to the gtg of the lens, so far we have no idea how much of a role capacitance plays on gtg as I discussed in a previous post but afaik 3d active glasses dont have capacitors to hold the lens state (unlike all TFT screens out there) so in theory they could have lower gtg's than a regular LCD screen. What are your thoughts people?

Saludos everyone!
JLafarga

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 3d active glasses hack as personal shutters to lower per

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 May 2014, 21:30

jlafarga wrote:No I haven't done this yet, just wondering if its possible. The idea is as follows: Instead of a strobed backlight why not use a pair of 3d active glasses where instead of alternating each eye, the lenses open and close at the same time thus acting like the mechanical shutters someone talked about in another thread, of course the glasses would have to be in sync with the image and maybe have them open for 1-5ms at the beginning of a new frame and closed the rest of the time then open again and so on.
Yes, it is possible, and yes, it's been done before -- to get low persistence during 60Hz emulators. Wearing shutter glasses while playing MAME, gives you the low-persistence 60Hz effect.

But it can also be used to lower persistence on non-LightBoost monitors too. However, the picture would be very dim because of the short shutter-open time. Also, you'd hope the monitor would do realtime scanout too: Where possible you'd want to use Vertical Total tweaks (e.g. 1350 or 1500 scan line vertical totals for 1080p signal, for the long blanking interval pause between refresh cycles). Otherwise, the GtG is still incomplete at the bottom edge of the LCD screen when the GtG of the top edge of the LCD is beginning, like found in older LCDs that are too slow to completely finish GtG before the next refresh cycle begins.

Example high speed videos of LCD refreshing
-- The 2007 LCD is not strobe-friendly (even via shutter glasses) since there's never a fully-clear refresh cycle
-- The 2012 LCD is strobe-friendly

Nowadays, nearly all 120Hz and 144hz monitors being released today (except IPS overclockables) already include a strobe backlight mode, making the shutter glasses method of lowering persistence unnecessary. So for monitors with GtG fast enough (and able to do pauses between refreshes long enough), the monitor likely already includes a blur reduction strobe backlight such as LightBoost, ULMB, Turbo240 or BENQ Blur Reduction (see Official List of 120Hz Monitors).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

jlafarga

Post by jlafarga » 10 May 2014, 12:47

I just re-read the mechanical shutters thread, I guess it was a while since I read it the first time.. sorry people, bad memory!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 May 2014, 20:22

Related thread, for other readers to follow:
Mechanical Shutters to reduce motion blur
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!