FED TV/monitor closed?! But back soon

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
nuninho1980

FED TV/monitor closed?! But back soon

Post by nuninho1980 » 30 May 2014, 12:29

Hello!

FED (Field Emission Display) is similar to CRT.

I'm sad and worried because FED is closed since 2010. :(

But will this technology back soon?
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4@3600MHz
MB: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
GPU: Zotac RTX 4090 non-OC new! <3 :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDD: SATA 1TB
SSDs: OCZ RD400 0.5TB+Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT 21" Sony E530 :D

flood

Re: FED TV/monitor closed?! But back soon

Post by flood » 30 May 2014, 15:47

probably not

I think oleds will be the future.

nuninho1980

Post by nuninho1980 » 30 May 2014, 17:49

flood wrote:probably not

I think oleds will be the future.
I have knew OLED. It's similar to CRT but PMOLED only. But yes CRT is similar to more VFD and FED only because its have flicker scanning horizontally. ;)
CPU: [email protected]
RAM: 2x16GB DDR4@3600MHz
MB: MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4
GPU: Zotac RTX 4090 non-OC new! <3 :D
Opt. disc: LG BD-RE writer BH16NS40
HDD: SATA 1TB
SSDs: OCZ RD400 0.5TB+Crucial MX500 2TB
PSU: AEROCOOL 1kW 80+ Gold
Disly: CRT 21" Sony E530 :D

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 May 2014, 14:57

SED/FED were not actually as good as CRT.
-- There were actually much higher-persistence, much like an old plasma display.
-- There was per-pixel PWM on some of the early FED
-- It produced temporal noise artifacts and contouring artifacts not too different from early plasmas/DLPs.

Some more good engineering might have solved some of these problems, but the early SED/FED picture quality was nowhere near as good as current rolling-scan OLEDs such as the one used in Oculus DK2 (a smartphone OLED run with a custom display motherboard to run the panel in a strobed rolling-scan mode for CRT/LightBoost motion clarity with the great colors of OLED). That's what they've mentioned in their presentations, and existing high-persistence OLED can be converted into a rolling-scan low-persistence OLED. (Otherwise, OLED has a motion blur problem -- Why Do Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?)

Forget SED/FED ... Low-persistence rolling-scan OLED actually looks darn near CRT-quality. I've seen a glimpse of Oculus DK2 running in low-persistence mode (rolling scan strobe technique) and it's actually the closest thing to CRT-quality. Once they increase the resolution of OLEDs, scale the sizes to 24" and bigger, and bring low-persistence rolling-scan to 24" OLEDs, we have computer monitors that resemble CRT clarity. And allow adjustable persistence (0.5ms through 2.0ms) for the persistence-versus-brightness tradeoff. The advantages of LCD (perfect geometry, flat panel) with the advantages of CRT (perfect blacks, great colors, low persistence, zero motion blur). I anticipate this will happen within 5-7 years. Longer than expected wait, but I've seen the OLED future, and it looks great. The eventual release of 4K 50" HDTVs will make it possible for computer monitor manufacturers (e.g. ASUS/BENQ/EIZO/etc) to split them into four 25" 1080p panels, and sell them as high end gaming monitors (true 240Hz + OLED + rolling scan strobe -- quite doable!). The burn-in issue will have to be solved, but it is not an inherently unsolvable probem (newer plasmas became burn-in resistant, and some CRTs had burn-in issues too).

TL;DR: It was a promising technology that SED/FED was, but rolling-scan-strobe low-persistence OLED already blows away SED/FED
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rabidz7

Post by rabidz7 » 21 Jul 2014, 21:24

Chief Blur Buster wrote:SED/FED were not actually as good as CRT.
-- There were actually much higher-persistence, much like an old plasma display.
-- There was per-pixel PWM on some of the early FED
-- It produced temporal noise artifacts and contouring artifacts not too different from early plasmas/DLPs.

Some more good engineering might have solved some of these problems, but the early SED/FED picture quality was nowhere near as good as current rolling-scan OLEDs such as the one used in Oculus DK2 (a smartphone OLED run with a custom display motherboard to run the panel in a strobed rolling-scan mode for CRT/LightBoost motion clarity with the great colors of OLED). That's what they've mentioned in their presentations, and existing high-persistence OLED can be converted into a rolling-scan low-persistence OLED. (Otherwise, OLED has a motion blur problem -- Why Do Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?)

Forget SED/FED ... Low-persistence rolling-scan OLED actually looks darn near CRT-quality. I've seen a glimpse of Oculus DK2 running in low-persistence mode (rolling scan strobe technique) and it's actually the closest thing to CRT-quality. Once they increase the resolution of OLEDs, scale the sizes to 24" and bigger, and bring low-persistence rolling-scan to 24" OLEDs, we have computer monitors that resemble CRT clarity. And allow adjustable persistence (0.5ms through 2.0ms) for the persistence-versus-brightness tradeoff. The advantages of LCD (perfect geometry, flat panel) with the advantages of CRT (perfect blacks, great colors, low persistence, zero motion blur). I anticipate this will happen within 5-7 years. Longer than expected wait, but I've seen the OLED future, and it looks great. The eventual release of 4K 50" HDTVs will make it possible for computer monitor manufacturers (e.g. ASUS/BENQ/EIZO/etc) to split them into four 25" 1080p panels, and sell them as high end gaming monitors (true 240Hz + OLED + rolling scan strobe -- quite doable!). The burn-in issue will have to be solved, but it is not an inherently unsolvable probem (newer plasmas became burn-in resistant, and some CRTs had burn-in issues too).

TL;DR: It was a promising technology that SED/FED was, but rolling-scan-strobe low-persistence OLED already blows away SED/FED
You must consider that the CRT have had about 70 years to be perfected, the LCD have had 50 years of refinement, OLEDs have had about 15 years to be enhanced, but SED and FED only had about 4 years of active development before they were abandoned. With some development, I believe that SED and FED could easily become the best display technology. Compare a SED or FED to a CRT, LCD, or OLED from when CRT, LCD, or OLED technology had been developed for 4 years, and the SED/FED will destroy the competition.
Rabidz7 is a: PowerPC Fan, LCD and x86 Hater, and a Plasma/OLED/CRT/SED/FED Lover