Skipping OLED and straight to Quantum Dots?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Edmond

Skipping OLED and straight to Quantum Dots?

Post by Edmond » 03 Jun 2014, 04:40

http://www.techpowerup.com/201536/tpv-a ... putex.html

The switch from CRT to LCD was a trade off.
Was hoping OLED would bring the best of both together. But i am hearing OLED isnt doing too well recently. Expensive and what not.

Well... now there is QD apparently and the big argument is lower cost. I just hope it gives at least all the same stuff that OLED gives.

flood

Re: Skipping OLED and straight to Quantum Dots?

Post by flood » 03 Jun 2014, 17:46

what is the reason that oleds have been used for phone and tablets but not for desktop monitors?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jun 2014, 18:19

Edmond wrote:Well... now there is QD apparently and the big argument is lower cost. I just hope it gives at least all the same stuff that OLED gives.
This is very interesting! But there's a catch; that one is still using LCD. QD is used for backlights on some screens at the moment, and not yet at the per-pixel level. I don't think they are yet doing it at the per-pixel level, or simply using QD as a backlight. Currently this QD Vision press release appears to still be using LCD.

QD backlights are already being used. Sony Triluminos are using QD-enhanced backlights now, and QD is used in some tablets like Amazon's Kindle Fire HDX 7. At the moment, it's just another backlight technology for LCD.
flood wrote:what is the reason that oleds have been used for phone and tablets but not for desktop monitors?
Cost and burn-in. Sony has multi-thousand-dollar desktop OLED monitors already, but they are for the professional market.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

flood

Post by flood » 03 Jun 2014, 20:48

Chief Blur Buster wrote: Cost and burn-in. Sony has multi-thousand-dollar desktop OLED monitors already, but they are for the professional market.
do those suffer from burn-in?

I suspect qd's have their own problems (maybe burn-in as well)... we'll see in a few years

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 04 Jun 2014, 01:22

QD is there to make cheap white LED backlights perform the same as the more expensive red, green and blue LED backlights. LED backlights that are red, green and blue instead of white would not benefit from QD. But those backlights are more expensive and generate more heat.

And of course, as Chief said, this doesn't change the panel itself, which is still a normal LCD. The only thing that QD does right now, is that manufacturers add a QD "coat" between LED backlight and LCD panel, so that the QDs can take the white light from the LED and give off better colors for the LCD panel (a QD for example can absorb white light and then emit a vivid and clean red, which wouldn't be possible by just filtering the white light from the LED with conventional means.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.