Laptop display overclock (90hz achieved stable)

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Vechs

Re: Laptop display overclock (90hz achieved stable)

Post by Vechs » 27 May 2017, 09:51

This probably going to be the last post, but gonna say couple of things : I don't think there is a limit to the overclock, just how long the controller will hold on/how fast the panel is gonna go, but, i looked up the specs and its a CMN1731 (Chi Mei if anyone is looking more specifically)

Have to say, when oc'd to 120hz, I have a screen burn in (you can see the vertical lines pop out, witch is in the danger zone of overclocking.
I don't really want to make the display die instantly but I am open to suggestions)
//http://www.datasheetspdf.com/datasheet/ ... ?id=940738
[Super indepth about panel specifications, some people with higher level of knowledge only can use this.] (you can remove this if needed, its optional)
I have posted my results if anyone wants to improve them/work off them/do whatever (back porch vertical lines are +2, due to panel having a white line that needed to be fixed. Thanks Chief!)
On the spec sheet it says that the physical limit of the display, but im not gonna try it. Anyways, i would say that 90hz for a laptop is extremely good, Owned a CRT @85hz few years back, but for a laptop its pretty good.
Attachments
discord.png
discord.png (47.08 KiB) Viewed 6550 times
Last edited by Vechs on 27 May 2017, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 27 May 2017, 09:59

No reason to lock threads. We generally only do that when there's shenanigans :)

90Hz is really good. VSync input lag is quite low, especially if you use the "low latency vsync" method (OC to 90.008Hz and cap to 90FPS.) Input lag wise, it subjectively feels as good as G-Sync/Freesync.

To cover more games (for those who can't maintain 90FPS), you could add 80.008Hz as well for (vsync + 80FPS cap.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 May 2017, 10:27

We always welcome new information to threads.

If you discover something new, such as adjusting a CRU setting suddenly makes image better looking (e.g. reducing Horizontal Total to free up a little more bandwidth for a higher refresh rate at lower dotclocks), the information is welcome to existing threads of the same panel's overclock experimentation.

Either way, enjoy your great-looking 90Hz overclock!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vechs

Post by Vechs » 03 Jun 2017, 12:31

I'm back again faster than a running dingo, any ways to fix the ''vertical lines'' that show up when you overclock it too much? (talking here about 100hz and higher) (tested out with 100 to 110hz)
//http://imgur.com/a/dzYAK
It shows up more noticeably on gray tones and most times on color mode. Is there any way to ''fix'' it and go higher or thats a permanent thing when you overclock it any higher? (I hope you do notice it on the picture, because its quite apparent and my camera dosen't pick it up so much)
* do note that there is "probably" no limit how much I can overclock the monitor or have the pixel clock set.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 03 Jun 2017, 23:20

I was telling you on Discord, If you lower your Vertical Total and Horizontal Total there will be less stress on your monitor. You might need to lower your Front Porch/Sync Width for it to work, some monitors i set them to 1 and it works just fine.

I obviously haven't tested every monitor in the world but i haven't come across any monitor that has had permanent effect due to overclocking. Artifact or not, it goes away after you down clock it.

Btw idk i can't see the vertical line.