Sony Bravia [overclocking / Motionflow]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
1nfinite

Sony Bravia [overclocking / Motionflow]

Post by 1nfinite » 03 Jan 2014, 18:05

Hi, great site lots of good info..

I wondered what you guys opinions on the new Sony w series Bravias & if anyone has overclocked these?

The input lag's are ultra low, not so sure about when adding their motion flow.

I am seriously pondering on buying one for a monitor & would be great to be able to play without vsync but maybe I am dreaming?

From what I have read there are two models worth getting the 40" 653 cheaper version or the 905 46" which has slightly more input lag but much more options for processing.

Any opinions or experience at overclocking?

Ahigh

Re: Sony Bravia

Post by Ahigh » 03 Jan 2014, 18:39

I'm not sure where you are located, but that 40" is a UK set. I don't know how hard it might be to get outside of the UK, but let me know if you get one. I have the 46" set and motionflow is awesome at 60hz. I recommend it if you're happy enough with 60fps or if you need a screen bigger than 32".

1nfinite

Post by 1nfinite » 03 Jan 2014, 19:04

Ahigh wrote:I'm not sure where you are located, but that 40" is a UK set. I don't know how hard it might be to get outside of the UK, but let me know if you get one. I have the 46" set and motionflow is awesome at 60hz. I recommend it if you're happy enough with 60fps or if you need a screen bigger than 32".
Hi mate, yes I am in the UK & correction the 653 is actually a 42" not 40" apologies.

You have the 905 model yea? Are you going to try to overclock it or would that be risky?

I have the money for the 905 but not sure at double the price as the 653 to use as a monitor would see much more benefit. What motion flow settings do you use gaming or do you have them all disabled & does this effect the lag much.

Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jan 2014, 19:05

1nfinite wrote:From what I have read there are two models worth getting the 40" 653 cheaper version or the 905 46" which has slightly more input lag but much more options for processing.
Actually, from the lag tests I've read, the 905 is actually pretty good in Game Mode when all other processing is disabled. Also, the 905 has Motionflow Impulse, which is a strobe backlight (similiar to LightBoost) that has fairly low input lag.

You mainly get the extra input lag when you enable the processing options, and even so, the interpolation-free gaming-friendly Motionflow Impulse mode adds slightly less than 1 frame of additional input lag (for a total of less than 2 frames of lag in strobed mode) -- and results in plasma motion clarity, while still not gaining as much input lag as most plasmas (many plasmas have more than 2 frames of lag). The Sony TV's are currently a Blur Busters favourite mainly because of Motionflow Impulse. Strobed 60Hz has less motion blur than non-strobed 120Hz, and the advantage is that it works with gaming consoles.

From what I know, the 905 doesn't overclock well. But the existence of Impulse more than makes up for it, if you don't mind 60Hz CRT-like/plasma-like flicker.

Where do you plan to get your Sony?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

1nfinite

Post by 1nfinite » 03 Jan 2014, 19:22

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
Where do you plan to get your Sony?
Hi Chief.

If I decide on the 905 was either going to go John Lewis or Richer Sounds & try to get them to price match to £999 although other shops seem to do an instore 5 year Sony guarantee also.

The thing that puts me off the 653 model is the wall mount stand looks to be a headache.

Thanks for the info & I am sure ide be happy at 60fps just am after the best experience so good to know before I buy. 8-)

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 03 Jan 2014, 23:07

I have the KDL-47W802A. I agree that the Sony 60Hz MotionFlow sets are currently an extremely versatile option as they basically work with regular old 1080p60 signals from anywhere. You can even watch football on television and eye-track movement and it's like having an experience from ten years ago on a big screen tube! IE: it's even smoother than 240Hz sets! Just dimmer by a notch is the only downside.

1nfinite

Post by 1nfinite » 04 Jan 2014, 01:06

Ahigh wrote:I have the KDL-47W802A. I agree that the Sony 60Hz MotionFlow sets are currently an extremely versatile option as they basically work with regular old 1080p60 signals from anywhere. You can even watch football on television and eye-track movement and it's like having an experience from ten years ago on a big screen tube! IE: it's even smoother than 240Hz sets! Just dimmer by a notch is the only downside.
You mean the 805? Dont think can get the 802 in the UK only in the states.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2014, 01:11

The main downside is the plasma-like / CRT-like 60Hz flicker when you enable "Impulse".

That's the tradeoff, in exchange for getting plasma-like / CRT-like motion clarity without using interpolation. Which makes it look great on 60fps video game sources.

The good thing is that it's easy to turn on/off this mode. Enjoy flicker free operation (sample-and-hold), or enjoy blur-free strobing. You can't turn off a plasma or CRT's flicker, like you can with LCD.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

1nfinite

Post by 1nfinite » 04 Jan 2014, 01:32

So are any of the new Sonys overclockable to 120hz you know of Chief?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 04 Jan 2014, 01:51

Not at 1080p. However, many Sony's seem to work at 720p at 120Hz.
http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/120hz-pc ... mment-1025

Most people want to test for 1080p@120Hz, but do not always test for 720p@120Hz.
Ahigh, can you test your Sony for 720p@120Hz?