How is Hz scaling with different resolutions?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Max

Re: How is Hz scaling with different resolutions?

Post by Max » 06 Jul 2014, 18:02

RealNC wrote:
Max wrote:Yes but because monitors have a limit of how much bandwidth they have for the signal, lowering the resolution should allow for higher Hz.
That doesn't mean the panel can show higher Hz.
You should really read the posts so far...
That's already been said in this thread, I've said this and so has Q83Ia7ta and I've also said I agree with him.
And I still want to know how well Hz scales with lower resolutions :(
There are no limits. You can raise the timings as you please. You can run a 4K resolution at 100Hz, if you want. Whether the monitor can handle that or something will blow up in smoke, is another question. It depends on how overclockable the monitor is.
There are limits, you should really read the rest of the posts so far... The point of this topic was to try to figure out how Hz scales at different resolutions because of the limits on certain parts on certain monitors lowering the resolution can allow for higher Hz.

If you go through the my first post I show the theoretical top Hz for different resolutions on the Seiki monitor and I have the math shown to explain it all, but if you look at the real world application the monitor isn't exactly able to get the theoretical Hz. The Seiki monitor the actual panel is rated to 120Hz so it's different than a lot of other current 4K monitors. Then there's also the Seiki monitor being bottle-necked by the HDMI standard it's using once again, you should read the previous posts. I'm interested in how other monitor's handle lower res for higher Hz because on the Seiki it doesn't seem to be a perfect trade off(if it were a 1:1 trade off the theoretical Hz would be do-able).