Overclocking Jackpot? Acer Swift 1 60hz to 95hz OC

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
JLs

Overclocking Jackpot? Acer Swift 1 60hz to 95hz OC

Post by JLs » 19 May 2023, 02:00

Hey guys

So I pulled out an N5000 based Acer Swift 1 from storage to play osrs on.

turns out I can easily overclock from 60hz to 95hz
100hz & 105hz did not show on my display adapter properties so i beliee it is an intel 605 limitation.

manual exposure of 1/10 on my Sony Xperia 1 iii makes beautiful solid streaking lines.

The original screen was damaged and I replaced just before going into storage.
The model of my screen is: LGD05EC

Has anyone else had great success from budget laptops?
can anyone recommend a way to try get over 95hz as it is working perfectly.

JL

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Overclocking Jackpot? Acer Swift 1 60hz to 95hz OC

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 May 2023, 03:45

Overclocks can go to the triple digits, for some 'simple' 60Hz screens that don't have an OSD menu chip.

Basically, generic 60Hz screens with no graphics-overlay logic, and no watchdog firmware, tend to be surprisingly overclockable. Few weak links.

There's a successful 60Hz laptop LCD overclocked to 180Hz.

It was also popular back in year 2014, where some early Korean 1440p 60Hz displays were discovered to be highly overclockable, blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-1440p-ips-monitors/ -- as a cheap alternative to ultra-expensive gaming monitors at the time.

However, it's harder to overclock many newer desktop displays, due to the extra logic (menu chips, other picture processing features like Low Blue Light Mode and advanced LCD Overdrive, etc) put into newer monitors. Those extra chips and electronics block a lot of overclocking, even if the underlying LCD can technically handle it way more overclocking than the electronics can.

So you did, kind of hit the jackpot. Most 60Hz displays just refuse to overclock at all for one reason or another, and others just overclock slightly (75-80Hz). The 2x-3x margin overclock successes are rare outliers, even today.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!