OC x-star 27 inch monitor [how to overclock to 120Hz?]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
swardmusic

OC x-star 27 inch monitor [how to overclock to 120Hz?]

Post by swardmusic » 14 Jan 2014, 22:43

hey guys, I just got a successful OC of my new x star monitor to 96hz.just wondering if the frame test page automatically tests highest possible OC for the monitor? I have put nvidia settings and windows settings at 120Hz. is 96 my maximum?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: OC x-star 27 inch monitor [how to overclock to 120Hz?]

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 14 Jan 2014, 22:59

swardmusic wrote:hey guys, I just got a successful OC of my new x star monitor to 96hz.just wondering if the frame test page automatically tests highest possible OC for the monitor? I have put nvidia settings and windows settings at 120Hz. is 96 my maximum?
You should be able to overclock higher.
You need the driver clock unlocking patch to overclock higher:
http://www.monitortests.com

AMD download -- http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... ck-Patcher
NVIDIA download -- http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... ck-Patcher

And as always, test out http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping to make sure your overclock is successful.

Let me know if this works! 8-)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

swardmusic

Post by swardmusic » 15 Jan 2014, 01:33

Chief Blur Buster wrote: You should be able to overclock higher.
WOWOWOW! this worked perfectly. successful 120Hz overclock!
TY TY TY TY!!! :D ;)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2014, 01:58

swardmusic wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: You should be able to overclock higher.
WOWOWOW! this worked perfectly. successful 120Hz overclock!
TY TY TY TY!!! :D ;)
Anytime, you're welcome!

That said, you may want to run at 96Hz more often, as the 120Hz overclock may cause some artifacts on some models (color issues, image retention). So you may want to throttle back when the 120Hz is not needed. e.g. running Windows Desktop at 96Hz and running games at 120Hz. Utilities such as Entechtaiwan's Multires, can make it quick and easy to switch refresh rates.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

swardmusic

Post by swardmusic » 15 Jan 2014, 02:51

ok thanks. i have turned it back to 96. i was occasionally getting a horizontal line/artifact across one or 2 pixels when doing the moving picture test at 120. what do u suggest then? maybe a little less than 120 when running games?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2014, 02:55

swardmusic wrote:ok thanks. i have turned it back to 96. i was occasionally getting a horizontal line/artifact across one or 2 pixels when doing the moving picture test at 120. what do u suggest then? maybe a little less than 120 when running games?
You can also try 110 or 115, too.
Or try using a better DVI cable, depending on whether the issue is caused by the monitor, or caused by the cable.

swardmusic

Post by swardmusic » 15 Jan 2014, 03:00

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
swardmusic wrote:ok thanks. i have turned it back to 96. i was occasionally getting a horizontal line/artifact across one or 2 pixels when doing the moving picture test at 120. what do u suggest then? maybe a little less than 120 when running games?
You can also try 110 or 115, too.
Or try using a better DVI cable, depending on whether the issue is caused by the monitor, or caused by the cable.
ok great thanks again

swardmusic

Post by swardmusic » 15 Jan 2014, 08:16

seems to max out at 108Hz with no bad artifacts etc. Pretty happy :)

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 15 Jan 2014, 12:37

You can also try manual timings

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

swardmusic

Post by swardmusic » 15 Jan 2014, 17:32

ok. how do i go about doing that? do u have a link u could share? cheers