VIZIO P-Series 4K Ultra HD has blur-reducing game mode

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Neo

Post by Neo » 14 Jan 2014, 19:16

Vizio is doing the bargain basement pricing thing too. No mention of any displays smaller than 50" but the basic series feature full-array backlights. The reference series seem to be the Dolby Vision (lite) models. No mention of input specs either. Street prices should be Seiki territory.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwgeeks/a ... e-20140108

VIZIO P-Series Ultra HD Full-Array LED backlit LCD Smart TVs
(P502ui-B1) $999.99 (MSRP)
(P552ui-B2) $1,399.99 (MSRP)
(P602ui-B3) $1,799.99 (MSRP)
(P652ui-B2) $2,199.99 (MSRP)
(P702ui-B3) $2,599.99 (MSRP)

EDIT: Oh, here we go.
http://ces.vizio.com/
Unrestrained
Gaming Intensity
Reference Series features a revolutionary High Velocity Mode that adjusts your TV’s frame rate to enable extreme gaming at an ultra-fast 120 frames per second with incredibly low latency.
120 fps
High Velocity Mode
EDIT #2: This applies to the P-Series as well!

Incredible
Motion Smoothness
P-Series eliminates blurring and judder with a towering 960 Clear Action Rate that’s achieved by faster refresh rates, enhanced scanning backlight and a VM50 engine with motion estimation/motion compensation (MEMC) features. Combined, they offer unparalleled motion smoothness and image stability.
Clear Action Rate

Authentic
Cinematic Fidelity
For movie viewing, P-Series blows away traditional 3:2 pulldown with a Pure Cinema Engine that adjusts its frame rate to show films as they were intended, in their native 24 & 48 fps, with a fidelity to thrill any cinephile.
24/48 fps
Pure Cinema Engine

Unrestrained
Gaming Intensity
P-Series features a breakthrough for gamers with revolutionary High Velocity Mode that adjusts your TV’s frame rate to enable extreme gaming at an ultra-fast 120 frames per second with incredibly low latency.
120 fps
High Velocity Mode

trey31

Post by trey31 » 15 Jan 2014, 20:49

Interesting. My 2nd M series Vizio (1080p) is doing 120hz at 1760x990 just like the first. 108hz at 1080p. 100hz at 2560x1440. I'll update in the vizio thread when set #3 arrives...

These Vizio 4k panels are 2D only though right? Such an odd decision for emerging tech to drop such a highly touted technology (passive 3D) who's only fault was the 1920x540 to each eye argument. With almost no actual 4k tv or film content available thus far, it would seem to me that passive 3D at an actual 1080 lines to each eye would be THE main selling point for early 4k models...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Jan 2014, 21:58

Neo wrote:Motion Smoothness
P-Series eliminates blurring and judder with a towering 960 Clear Action Rate that’s achieved by faster refresh rates, enhanced scanning backlight and a VM50 engine with motion estimation/motion compensation (MEMC) features. Combined, they offer unparalleled motion smoothness and image stability.
Can I have strobing, WITHOUT interpolation please?
It's the only way to do low latency motion blur reduction, for video game consoles.
Interpolation adds input lag.
Neo wrote:P-Series features a breakthrough for gamers with revolutionary High Velocity Mode that adjusts your TV’s frame rate to enable extreme gaming at an ultra-fast 120 frames per second with incredibly low latency.
120 fps
High Velocity Mode
This is interesting. I'd love to see this in action. Perhaps this is some new shallow-buffered motion interpolation (<20ms latency) that's finally video game friendly. Although latency is still a problem, if it can be done on a zero-buffered LCD, and you do only 1 lookahead depth, you add only 1 frame of input latency, this might end up being a reasonable compromise.

Alternatively, if this is 120Hz simulation via 50%:50% duty-cycle black frame insertion on 60Hz, that is definitely also another way to get 120Hz-league clarity with low motion blur, though I would prefer a bigger duty cycle (25%:75%) for better motion blur elimination. But that could also lead to some flicker problems.

I'm glad manufacturers are addressing motion clarity during gaming so obviously -- hopefully it lives up to advertised claims, I'd love to see more about this.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Neo

Re: VIZIO P-Series 4K Ultra HD has blur-reducing game mode

Post by Neo » 16 Jan 2014, 01:19

I assumed the game mode is true 120Hz input bypassing any fancy buffering. Either the term revolutionary is marketing fluff or it's actually something novel.

And Yay! Vizio has it's own thread. I think these displays are the ones to watch. I'm really excited about the partnership with Dolby in implementing proper full-array backlights and proper high dynamic range/color.

EDIT: It's HDMI 2.0.
http://store.vizio.com/news/cat/news/po ... d-smart-tv
and the latest HDMI standard for display of Ultra HD content up to 60 fps.
Considering HDMI 2 supports 420 subsampling, why no 4K 120Hz?

trey31

Post by trey31 » 17 Jan 2014, 18:04

Neo wrote:And Yay! Vizio has it's own thread. I think these displays are the ones to watch. I'm really excited about the partnership with Dolby in implementing proper full-array backlights and proper high dynamic range/color.
Yea I hope they implement full-array backlighting better than they implemented their edge-lit backlighting. The 2013 Vizio models have the worst edge-lit I've ever seen. This is my second M651d and its worse than the first. I can't imagine #3 could be any worse

During the day:

At night:

AWFUL.

Neo

Post by Neo » 17 Jan 2014, 19:43

That one is obviously going back. :shock:

trey31

Post by trey31 » 18 Jan 2014, 18:14

Neo wrote:That one is obviously going back. :shock:
Just as soon as #3 arrives, it is for sure! :lol:

In all seriousness though I've seen my fair share of LCD, LED, Plasma, DLP rear projected TVs, etc. But this is the worst I've ever seen right out of a box. If I hadn't been sick when it arrived, I'd have sent it back and kept set #1 until #3 showed up...

jadders

Post by jadders » 19 Sep 2014, 12:31

Does it support 4k/60hz at 4:4:4 sampling? How is the input lag using a PS4 or PC? Can anyone compare it to Sony's 850b?