200Hz Display review/questions

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
AustinClark

Re: 200Hz Display review/questions

Post by AustinClark » 06 Oct 2015, 20:32

Not sure how to test a power issue, but I doubt it. Also was able to use the windows calibrate display settings, basically when you increase you monitor to 200Hz you're also increasing the shit out of Gamma and Contrast to the point you make your contrast absolutely abysmal.

I set the gamma via the slider in the calibration tool to the lowest, and cut my contrast down to 50 on the catalyst control center menu (remember this monitor has no OSD) and now the monitor is pretty close to displaying correctly.
Glad to hear the gamma and contrast effects are mostly reversible via other means (software).

However, I was mostly referring to the problem with the screen occasionally going white. I believe that's what happens when pixels are no longer being updated (they decay to white quickly). That seems to indicate to me that the panel is fine, and the problem lies in the LCD driving circuit, or some other electronics. Low/inconsistent power/voltage could be the cause. Additionally, pushing voltage higher tends to improve transistor switching speeds (at the cost of extra power and heat) and could be the extra boost necessary to consistently maintain whatever clock speeds exist internally.

I actually just ordered one of these monitors today, and should be getting it in within a week. I'll do some playing around with it then, and probably have to take it apart. I have a feeling it MIGHT be possible to fix.

The gamma/contrast issue is interesting though, and a hardware fix/explanation would be very nice. Perhaps it has something to do with built-in overdrive settings of some kind? Shorter frames would mean you'd see more overshoot and less averaging as the pixels settle. No idea if that'd be adjustable, or if that's a firmware thing.

dhaine

Post by dhaine » 06 Oct 2015, 21:26

is it possible to add another power supply on this model ?
I've read someone reporting better overclocking on another model of qnix with a power adapter more powerful than original like this one : http://www.amazon.com/Bsod-Strip-Transf ... 00W5BNZR2/

source : http://www.overclock.net/t/1571558/is-my-qnix-dying

very nice to hear you are able to do 200hz correctly

can you do something like 1280*720 also at 200Hz ? with less pronounced white effect ? maybe more hz ?

what's the difference of model QX2424 vs DP2414 ?

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 06 Oct 2015, 22:01

dhaine wrote:is it possible to add another power supply on this model ?
I've read someone reporting better overclocking on another model of qnix with a power adapter more powerful than original like this one : http://www.amazon.com/Bsod-Strip-Transf ... 00W5BNZR2/

source : http://www.overclock.net/t/1571558/is-my-qnix-dying

very nice to hear you are able to do 200hz correctly

can you do something like 1280*720 also at 200Hz ? with less pronounced white effect ? maybe more hz ?

what's the difference of model QX2424 vs DP2414 ?
The washout effect via the gamma and contrast is still their on lower resolutions, but haven't tested to much with higher refreshes.

QX2424 vs DP2414

Brand names
The DP 2414 seems to have an OSD menu, but I have no idea how well it overclocks. (the highest one I've heard of is 185Hz and that seems what most people who get it settle for.

Also how would I go about slightly upping the voltage on the power?

The power brick is 12v 4a (4000mA is what it says)

-edit-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-Q ... 1696946784
same brand, different seller also receives the pixel check. ONLY 149.00!!!!!

dhaine

Post by dhaine » 07 Oct 2015, 07:01

you only need to buy a 12V 5A power brick and use it instead of the original one.
Would be interesting to test if that can help with overclocking

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 07 Oct 2015, 12:50

AustinClark wrote: However, I was mostly referring to the problem with the screen occasionally going white. I believe that's what happens when pixels are no longer being updated (they decay to white quickly). That seems to indicate to me that the panel is fine, and the problem lies in the LCD driving circuit, or some other electronics. Low/inconsistent power/voltage could be the cause. Additionally, pushing voltage higher tends to improve transistor switching speeds (at the cost of extra power and heat) and could be the extra boost necessary to consistently maintain whatever clock speeds exist internally.
This is definitely correct my screen fades to white within just a few minutes @200Hz on static black screen. Definitely going to try getting a power brick with more juice now.

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 08 Oct 2015, 14:20

Added new section to the review/findings

*new* 4. Another reason to love this monitor; this monitor is capable of supporting a downscale 2560 x 1440 @160Hz timing.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 08 Oct 2015, 22:06

Good job on your 240Hz overclock!

You may be able to run at 240Hz longer by opening up your monitor and adding heatsinks to appropriate chips. It's possible some overheating is occuring as some chips are being pushed far beyond their specs!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

watrill

Post by watrill » 09 Oct 2015, 14:58

Does this (either DP2414 or QX2414) have the same strobing features as the XL2411Z? Considering buying one of these, as it's significantly cheaper than the Benq in Europe, even after adding the 20% VAT.

Comanglia

Post by Comanglia » 09 Oct 2015, 15:21

watrill wrote:Does this (either DP2414 or QX2414) have the same strobing features as the XL2411Z? Considering buying one of these, as it's significantly cheaper than the Benq in Europe, even after adding the 20% VAT.
You can not use ULMB / Lightboost with these monitors.

watrill

Post by watrill » 09 Oct 2015, 16:31

Thanks. Well, now I just need to decide whether that's a deal breaker... Any CS:GO players here? I have played on an ancient 1280x1024 TN until now, so either one will be a huge upgrade. What would be better for CS:GO, the Benq XL2411Z with blur reduction at 120hz or this at 180hz? The Benq costs cca 277 EUR here and this would be cca 230 EUR after tax and everything.