Looking for [3D] 1080p IPS monitors that will overclock well

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
HotshotGT

Looking for [3D] 1080p IPS monitors that will overclock well

Post by HotshotGT » 27 Jan 2014, 13:33

Hey, first post.

I currently have an ASUS VG23AH overclocked to 100hz, and it's by far the best monitor I've ever owned. As an added bonus, it supports interlaced 3D, and with an EDID override, works perfectly with 3D vision. To my knowledge, this is the only way to run 3D vision over 72fps (assuming 144/2 for each eye). Unfortunately, it's been discontinued, and I haven't heard of any replacement from ASUS. I'd like to get 2 more for surround, but it'd be best if they were also 100hz IPS. Any recommendations?

On an unrelated note, this site is awesome!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Looking for 1080p IPS monitors that will overclock well

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 13:38

HotshotGT wrote:I currently have an ASUS VG23AH overclocked to 100hz, and it's by far the best monitor I've ever owned. As an added bonus, it supports interlaced 3D, and with an EDID override, works perfectly with 3D vision. To my knowledge, this is the only way to run 3D vision over 72fps (assuming 144/2 for each eye). Unfortunately, it's been discontinued, and I haven't heard of any replacement from ASUS. I'd like to get 2 more for surround, but it'd be best if they were also 100hz IPS. Any recommendations?
Overclockable IPS with the interlaced 3D? Very interesting question.

Offhand, I'm not sure of which models -- this may need to be something you have to be a guinea pig for, since most people who do 3D aren't into overclocking monitors, and most people into overclocking monitors aren't interested in 3D. What you need is something that doesn't have a lock on its refresh rate.

Can you tell me why you want higher refresh rates during 3D?
-- Lower input lag?
-- Lower motion blur?

Are you aware that 3D Vision using a LightBoost monitor (even at 60Hz/60Hz), has less motion blur than interlaced 3D at 60Hz? If less motion blur during 3D is what you are looking for, try temporarily tolerating the flicker and see how 3D Vision feels to your eyes. The LightBoost strobe backlight, originally designed to eliminate crosstalk, also simultaneously eliminates motion blur. (For the same reason why CRT 75fps@75Hz has less motion blur than non-strobed LCD 120fps@120Hz).

If you hate flicker, then line-interlaced 3D is very good for that, since one eye continuously gets the odd rows of pixels, and the other eye continuously gets the even rows of pixels. It's a good approach for flickerfree operation. But it's not a good approach for motion blur, if that is your reason of wanting a higher refresh rate. If reducing input lag is an issue, remember IPS monitors often has had more input lag than TN monitors, so any latency gains by overclocking will likely be lost in the switch from TN to IPS. So, I presume very minor input lag doesn't matter as much as the flicker problem or the motion blur problem that you're trying to avoid?

If flicker is not an issue, but you want less motion blur, you will be pleased with the newer shutter glasses displays.
If flicker is an issue, then staying with line-interlaced 3D, and very slightly reduce motion blur by overclocking, is a good option.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

HotshotGT

Post by HotshotGT » 27 Jan 2014, 14:15

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
HotshotGT wrote:I currently have an ASUS VG23AH overclocked to 100hz, and it's by far the best monitor I've ever owned. As an added bonus, it supports interlaced 3D, and with an EDID override, works perfectly with 3D vision. To my knowledge, this is the only way to run 3D vision over 72fps (assuming 144/2 for each eye). Unfortunately, it's been discontinued, and I haven't heard of any replacement from ASUS. I'd like to get 2 more for surround, but it'd be best if they were also 100hz IPS. Any recommendations?
Overclockable IPS with the interlaced 3D? Very interesting question.

Offhand, I'm not sure of which models -- this may need to be something you have to be a guinea pig for, since most people who do 3D aren't into overclocking monitors, and most people into overclocking monitors aren't interested in 3D. What you need is something that doesn't have a lock on its refresh rate.

Can you tell me why you want higher refresh rates during 3D?
-- Lower input lag?
-- Lower motion blur?

Are you aware that 3D Vision using a LightBoost monitor (even at 60Hz/60Hz), has less motion blur than interlaced 3D at 60Hz? If less motion blur during 3D is what you are looking for, try temporarily tolerating the flicker and see how 3D Vision feels to your eyes. The LightBoost strobe backlight, originally designed to eliminate crosstalk, also simultaneously eliminates motion blur. (For the same reason why CRT 75fps@75Hz has less motion blur than non-strobed LCD 120fps@120Hz).

If you hate flicker, then line-interlaced 3D is very good for that, since one eye continuously gets the odd rows of pixels, and the other eye continuously gets the even rows of pixels. It's a good approach for flickerfree operation. But it's not a good approach for motion blur, if that is your reason of wanting a higher refresh rate. If reducing input lag is an issue, remember IPS monitors often has had more input lag than TN monitors, so any latency gains by overclocking will likely be lost in the switch from TN to IPS. So, this isolates down to flicker problem or the motion blur problem that you're trying to avoid?

If flicker is not an issue, but you want less motion blur, you will be pleased with the newer shutter glasses displays .
If flicker is an issue, then staying with line-interlaced 3D, and very slightly reduce motion blur by overclocking, is a good option.
The flickering from 3D vision gets to me pretty badly, and that's why I went for interlaced. That aside, I don't use the 3D all that often; It's fun for certain singleplayer games, but the lack of support for it in recent titles makes it almost worthless (a shame really). I originally overclocked to get more fluid motion and less blur in shooters while in 2D, but it ended up working well in 3D too. My main reasons for wanting IPS are color reproduction and viewing angle, but if there are any TN's that can compete with IPS in regard to those, and still cut down on motion blur, I wouldn't hesitate to make the switch.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 14:24

HotshotGT wrote:The flickering from 3D vision gets to me pretty badly, and that's why I went for interlaced. That aside, I don't use the 3D all that often; It's fun for certain singleplayer games, but the lack of support for it in recent titles makes it almost worthless (a shame really). I originally overclocked to get more fluid motion and less blur in shooters while in 2D, but it ended up working well in 3D too. My main reasons for wanting IPS are color reproduction and viewing angle, but if there are any TN's that can compete with IPS in regard to those, and still cut down on motion blur, I wouldn't hesitate to make the switch.
Tough luck about the flickering; I do wonder if it would work much better with 120Hz strobed interlaced -- you would get 120Hz/120hz per eye -- and you would get 120Hz flicker.

Up to a certain point (bottlenecked by an LCDs' GtG speed unless hidden by strobing), persistence on flickerfree LCDs is directly proportional to motion blur. Meaning, non-strobed LCD 120fps @ 120Hz has half the motion blur of non-strobed LCD 60fps @ 60Hz.

Right now, 100Hz/100Hz 3D is the best 3D I've heard of, so I think you've set the benchmark so far!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

HotshotGT

Post by HotshotGT » 27 Jan 2014, 14:46

Chief Blur Buster wrote: Tough luck about the flickering; I do wonder if it would work much better with 120Hz strobed interlaced -- you would get 120Hz/120hz per eye -- and you would get 120Hz flicker.

Up to a certain point (bottlenecked by an LCDs' GtG speed unless hidden by strobing), persistence on flickerfree LCDs is directly proportional to motion blur. Meaning, non-strobed LCD 120fps @ 120Hz has half the motion blur of non-strobed LCD 60fps @ 60Hz.

Right now, 100Hz/100Hz 3D is the best 3D I've heard of, so I think you've set the benchmark so far!
Now you've piqued my curiosity. I have a 240hz Vizio TV that also supports interlaced 3D. I'll see if I can get true 120hz on it, then give 3D a try. Doesn't solve my problem of finding monitors for surround, but if I can get my occasional 3D fix on it, I'll hold off on buying anything until G-Sync hits mainstream. Thanks for the info.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Jan 2014, 14:51

HotshotGT wrote:Now you've piqued my curiosity. I have a 240hz Vizio TV that also supports interlaced 3D. I'll see if I can get true 120hz on it, then give 3D a try.
That's a clever idea! I know at least a couple models of Vizio HDTVs did successfully "overclock" to true 120Hz, but not Vizio's.

Which model of Vizio HDTV is it? You will want to follow HDTV Refresh Rate HOWTO: True 120Hz from PC to TV.

That said, most "120Hz" and "240Hz" HDTVs use that extra Hz for interpolated images, and can't do it natively directly from an external source (computer). Success rate is higher on active 3D HDTVs but its' still worth attempting this on a passive 3D HDTV, for this specific purpose.