Philips 22IEL Overclocking and a question about it

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
gime114

Philips 22IEL Overclocking and a question about it

Post by gime114 » 17 Mar 2017, 10:35

So I have been doing a bit of overclocking on my Philips 22IEL monitor (60Hz) and used the frame skipping test to see if it can handle the overclock. The photo is at 1s shutter speed with exactly 66 frames.

However while doing this I have noticed that going any higher than 66Hz completely destroyed my display. It looked like it was skipping pixels on the display with the text being much harder to read. Seeing this I started wondering if this can do any serious damage to the display if kept overclocked? Does the monitor heat up more and therefore should be allowed to cool off occasionally? Is the overclock constantly gonna look good, regardless of what is displayed?

Any answers would be helpfull :).

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Philips 22IEL Overclocking and a question about it

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2017, 11:07

Wow, that's a super-long-exposure photo of http://www.testufo.com/frameskipping -- if I see correctly, you used a 1 second exposure? Almost every square is (barely) billuminated except for two squares near the bottom-left corner. No skipped squares, though, so 66Hz looks good. For easier overclock benchmarking, you do want to shorten camera exposure (but not too much) it so that several squares shows up (up to around 1 or 2 rows worth) -- you only need to verify contiguousness of squares, not highlight every single square in the TestUFO Frame Skipping test! :D Next time, just set your camera exposure to approximately 1/10th second.

Either way, 66Hz overclocking *seems* to be working.

Going above an overclock limit will cause visual glitches. When you see this happen, stop what you're doing, back down a bit. If you get heat issues, you'll probably see instability occur. If this happens, stop using the overclock and back down. Also, you can get instability issues with no heating/damage too, but you never know which electronics react with prolonged use of an unstable image. The rule of thumb; stable image is generally safe.

If you see any side effects such as temporary burn-in occuring (stuck ghost images that linger for minutes), then stop overclocking, play a video (or fast-changing imagery) to erase the temporary burn-in effect -- this only occurs on monitors when LCD inversion circuits fails during overclocking (rare), or incorrect overdrive overvoltages occurs (very very rare), etc. All rare, but worth paying attention to.

Stable image will generally be safe on the vast majority of displays.

It's very rare for overclocking (stable image) to damage any display, especially if you're only doing such a small overclock (60Hz->66Hz) -- unlike this user who did a successful 60Hz->180Hz overclock (Very rare to get such a huge overclock!) which is far more risky.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

vimsingh456

Post by vimsingh456 » 12 May 2017, 23:22

Thanks for the information , It was helpful.... Download solutions for Overclocking issues ....

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 13 May 2017, 22:47

Btw, did you patch your driver for the higher pixel clock? If you don't patch the driver, anything higher than 66Hz will give you image corruption and/or frame skipping.

I used to OC a very old monitor from 60Hz to 77Hz. Without patching, it would also only up go up to 66Hz. Anything higher would result in the issues you are getting right now.

For AMD you need this:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... ck-Patcher

For NVidia you need this:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thre ... ck-Patcher

And you need to run the patcher every time you install/upgrade the GPU driver, and sometimes the patcher is not compatible with new driver versions and you need to wait for ToastyX to update the patcher.

Also, check if the monitor supports 75Hz in other resolutions. For example, for a monitor to work in text mode (for DOS), it needs to support a VESA resolution like 800x600 72Hz or 640x480 75Hz (something like that; it's been a while.) Modern monitors have dropped support for this stuff, but old ones still have it. So most of the time, 60Hz monitors are actually able to run at 75Hz, but you need to patch the driver to do that with higher resolutions.

To check if the monitor supports these old VESA modes, you can use CRU.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.