Can't OC surround 1440p with Nvidia 332.21

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
apoc se7en

Can't OC surround 1440p with Nvidia 332.21

Post by apoc se7en » 28 Feb 2014, 01:28

Hi all,

First and foremost many thanks to the active community who's been contributing to display overclocking progress over the last couple of years. It's changed the way I game. Huge thanks to ToastyX, Chief Blur Buster, Scribby and Black Octagon (he's helped me in multiple forums). Thank you!

That said, I had my setup working with surround Overlord Tempest OCs. I run 4x overclocked Titans, 24AWG DVI-D cables, overclock to 109hz. When NVIDIA changed drivers, I was no longer able to overclock my monitors in surround. I recently read on this sight that the 332.21 patch fixed this issue, but I'm still unable to overclock my surround setup.

After enabling the NVIDIA patcher, I run CRU and overclock each monitor separately. Then using NVIDA control panel, span displays with surround; but the computer locks up, fails, and reboots. The only time it does not fail is when I have the default configuration 2560x1440 59.95hz listed in CRU; then I'm able to run 4320x2560 or 7680x1440 but only at 59.95hz. I've attempted EVGA pixel overclocking but that also fails.

I read on this site that the mentioned 332.21 drivers have resolved this problem: has NVIDIA confirmed this? I'm hoping someone can help me see what I'm doing wrong. Also, was this only 332.21, and nothing after? After trouble shooting, I've just completed a fresh install of Win 8.1 and currently have installed NVIDIA 334.89.

Any help, tips, or advice are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

apoc se7en

Re: Can't OC surround 1440p with Nvidia 332.21

Post by apoc se7en » 06 Mar 2014, 19:46

I'm guessing no one else can figure it out either.

Well, I've tried many things to no avail... I pulled the trigger on 3x FG2421s; I'll be debezeling and painting tomorrow. Time to re-mimic Vega. 7680x1440 110hz, you will be missed. :cry:

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Mar 2014, 22:11

apoc se7en wrote:I'm guessing no one else can figure it out either.
I'm sorry that none of us were able to answer on this. I know it works on AMD product, but NVIDIA product has been a bit temperamental lately in surround mode for custom configurations like this (e.g. LightBoost surround, QNIX QX2710 surround). I've mentioned this issue to ManuelG of NVIDIA.
apoc se7en wrote:Well, I've tried many things to no avail... I pulled the trigger on 3x FG2421s; I'll be debezeling and painting tomorrow. Time to re-mimic Vega. 7680x1440 110hz, you will be missed. :cry:
Way cool! How did you purchase the monitors by the way?
Don't forget to keep an eye on the EIZO FG2421 Debezel Guide!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

apoc se7en

Post by apoc se7en » 08 Mar 2014, 05:20

Way cool! How did you purchase the monitors by the way?
Don't forget to keep an eye on the EIZO FG2421 Debezel Guide!
I ordered all three from bhphotovideo. I'm really impressed with them so far; the colors are better than I expected and the viewing angles are night and day over the VG248Q.

I haven't setup portrait surround yet; hopefully viewing angles won't diminish in doing so. I will be debezeling, painting sub-bezels, and mounting up Sunday.
I know it works on AMD product, but NVIDIA product has been a bit temperamental lately in surround mode for custom configurations like this (e.g. LightBoost surround, QNIX QX2710 surround). I've mentioned this issue to ManuelG of NVIDIA.
The strange thing is that it DID work... so what did they switch and the real question is, why? I'd think about switching to AMD but I imagine I'd feel dirty, like cheating on my spouse or something. Even though my woman, NVIDIA, hasn't been especially good to me as of late, it's marriage and 'til death do us part. That and my current gpus are too new to justify an upgrade *cough*VegaThe HardwareSlut*cough* ;) ).

napalmglop

Post by napalmglop » 19 Mar 2014, 09:45

I have similar issue with GTX770 SLI at 120Hz but not with surround. I have a 120Hz 1440p Qnix and a 60Hz 1080p Asus.
I seems that I have to choose between enabling SLI with QNIX at 60Hz or no SLI and Qnix at 120Hz.
I've done some research and found a guy mentioning it worked for him at 100Hz.
I will make some tests and let you know what I can get to work.
In the mean time I have a question: do you guys think the problem is strictly a limitation of the driver or the fact that two screens run at a different refresh rate?

napalmglop

Post by napalmglop » 20 Mar 2014, 08:51

100Hz still freezes the machine, 99Hz works perfect.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 20 Mar 2014, 10:17

napalmglop wrote:100Hz still freezes the machine, 99Hz works perfect.
Try Timings "Reduced" instead of "Auto".
Or if it doesn't work, switch to "Manual" and slowly decrease porch/sync numbers.

The pixel clock is the important number, so smaller porches/sync/etc allows you to bump up the Hz a few percent while keeping the pixel clock the same. (number of pixels per second output to display -- using fewer pixels in the blanking intervals -- the blanking interval is the offscreen synchronization stuff -- like the black bar you see in old analog TVs when picture rolls when VHOLD adjustment is wrong -- making this sync interval smaller gives you more bandwidth to try a slightly higher refresh rate).

(In addition, I wonder if testing out another SLI bridge would help as well.)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

napalmglop

Post by napalmglop » 20 Mar 2014, 10:47

Thank you for the information. I will test that this weekend.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 21 Mar 2014, 20:01

napalmglop wrote:Thank you for the information. I will test that this weekend.
Have you considered this may be a Windows 8.1 issue?

8.1 has broken a lot of stuff for me. FSAA in Unreal engine games, Vsync in some old DX9 games, random .dll errors including SweetFX dll's (except with RadeonPro, that still works even with NVIDIA cards), etc. I actually grew to like Windows 8, but I have to say I can't stand 8.1 its been by far the biggest headache since Vista... Not to mention Win 8 Metro tiles looked drab when they were all gray backgrounds, now with 8.1's random puke color backgrounds they just look awful and unsightly. Time to finally install OblyTile maybe?

The only thing in the past keeping me from running a Linux distro has been drivers and wine issues with DirectX. When does SteamOS release again?? If it works as well as they're hoping, I may run a dual boot with SteamOS and Ubuntu or Fedora and never look back.

Sorry, rant over. I hope you get it figured out, please post back if/when you do.

napalmglop

Post by napalmglop » 24 Mar 2014, 08:40

Sorry guys I did not have time to test it this weekend.
FYI I run Windows 7 Ultimate