Thinking of buying a Korean monitor

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
hashtonkutcher

Thinking of buying a Korean monitor

Post by hashtonkutcher » 02 Mar 2014, 07:21

I've been thinking about buying one of these Korean 1440p monitors but with 4k right around the corner I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I think the monitor market might change fairly drastically in the next 6-9 months, what do you think? Will there be 1440p displays that do 120hz right out the box available sometime soon for a reasonable price?

masterotaku

Re: Thinking of buying a Korean monitor

Post by masterotaku » 02 Mar 2014, 09:22

hashtonkutcher wrote:I've been thinking about buying one of these Korean 1440p monitors but with 4k right around the corner I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I think the monitor market might change fairly drastically in the next 6-9 months, what do you think? Will there be 1440p displays that do 120hz right out the box available sometime soon for a reasonable price?
http://3dvision-blog.com/9279-asus-rog- ... c-monitor/

That monitor. 27", 144Hz, G-Sync (and ULMB), 1440p, 8bit TN panel and 1ms GtG. In theory, it will be released in April, but it will cost $799 (hoping that it doesn't translate to €799). I'm partially considering that monitor, now that BenQ doesn't want my money and doesn't care a lot about their customers (I give them 1 month until they fix what they've done), but those 2ms of frame persistence in ULMB still seem too high for me.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Mar 2014, 23:08

See the Blur Busters 120Hz 1440p Monitors Guide which talks about these overclockable korean monitors.

Also, you will want to consider whether the extra resolution is more important than motion clarity, and vice versa. The ASUS ROG PG278Q is definitely another additional option to get too, as well.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haste

Post by Haste » 04 Mar 2014, 05:10

hashtonkutcher wrote:I've been thinking about buying one of these Korean 1440p monitors but with 4k right around the corner I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. I think the monitor market might change fairly drastically in the next 6-9 months, what do you think? Will there be 1440p displays that do 120hz right out the box available sometime soon for a reasonable price?
For 1440p, you have the 800 dollar Asus monitor that will come soon. It looks pretty promising.

But for 4k at 120Hz, it's not around the corner. Don't expect it to happen soon.

Another thing to consider:
Let's say an hypothetical 4K@120Hz display was available.
There is no hardware that can push modern games at that resolution with a decent frame rate. Even if your budget is limitless.

Just to give you an idea of the situation,
Here is a benchmark of a 4 way SLI of GTX TITAN black edition (That's 4X 1000 dollar Graphic cards running in parallel) coupled with a high end Intel CPU. Left column is with the CPU at stock, right column is with the CPU highly overclocked.
source: http://us.hardware.info/reviews/5231/7/ ... u-at-5-ghz
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Mar 2014, 22:57

Haste wrote:But for 4k at 120Hz, it's not around the corner. Don't expect it to happen soon.
4K 120Hz would most certainly need reduced detail level, but it is doable with source engine games. You would need to turn off AA, amongst other things, but Microsoft was able to run a 4K 60Hz surround system at over 60 frames per second with some games. Certainly not the games you listed, however. But, look we are close already with 4000 dollars GPU systems, with 4K60fps. Only one more cycle of Moore's Law performance doubling!!! (About two GPU generations away)

So 4K 120Hz is quite doable with older games. That said, the benefit of 4K is also in the insane amount of texture detail and polygons, an attribute found in newer games. I think within two years, there will be a uber high end enthusiast market for 4K 120Hz. Mark my words!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

mousespecial14

Post by mousespecial14 » 16 Jul 2014, 12:38

There are a lot of affordable 4k's right now, but most are TN. http://toptenmonitors.hubpages.com/hub/best-4k-monitor
I'd wait a few years before going there.