VIZIO Monitor VMM26F10I

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
MickWizz

VIZIO Monitor VMM26F10I

Post by MickWizz » 22 Mar 2014, 12:42

Can I overclock this monitor ? It's a VMM26F10I

trey31

Re: VIZIO Monitor VMM26F10I

Post by trey31 » 22 Mar 2014, 22:23

MickWizz wrote:Can I overclock this monitor ? It's a VMM26F10I
http://store.vizio.com/vl260m.html

Doesn't look like it will OC much. Are you using an NVIDIA or ATI GPU(s)? Some 60hz panels can do anything from 60-85hz with some minor tweaking.

If you already have the monitor try one of these methods:

a) if you're using ATI GPU(s) or on-board graphics download ToastyX 's CRU and Pixel Clock Patcher, and try to set the refresh rate to 65hz. If that isn't too blurry, try intervals of 5 or so up til it doesn't work, then tweak with intervals of 1hz.

b) if you're using NVIDIA GPU(s) go into NVIDIA Control Panel and click change resolution, then click customize, check the box "enable resolutions not exposed by the display", click Create Custom Resolution, try the refresh rate at 65hz and leave timings as auto. Now click test and go from there.

Also, successful or not, please report back here with your results. Also don't forget to do a photo "proof" test with the blur busters motion test, so that you know for sure whether you're dropping frames or not. You can use a cell phone camera or anything really but a dslr works best if you have access to one.

MickWizz

Post by MickWizz » 22 Mar 2014, 23:13

The most I can do is 61. I was hoping for more. I'm using Nvidia and 2 msi 680 in sli 4gb. Thanks for your help :(
Last edited by MickWizz on 23 Mar 2014, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 23 Mar 2014, 10:50

MickWizz wrote:The most I can do is 61. I was hoping more. I'm using Nvidia and 2 msi 680 in sli 4gb. Thanks for your help :(
That's what I thought would happen. I had the same issue on a Samsung TV. Make sure 61hz isn't causing blurring as well, because if it is then 60hz is by far the better option rather than having a blurry image and only 1hz additional refresh rate.

There is something else you could try with your 680s as well, and that is downsampling. Not just for AA, downsampling can increase texture rendering/detail, depth/clarity, increased dynamic lighting (more pixels/area for light to shine/reflect on), and more.

Most of the time when a 60hz panel/display is unable to OC it is due to the panel's refresh limit and not timing/pixel clock limits. So even though you're stuck at 60hz, you might consider trying to increase your resolution to 2560x1440 or higher and see if you can still maintain the 60hz refresh rate. Even 3200x1800 or higher is possible over DVI-D/HDMI/DP above 60hz, so its something to consider. Also that 4GB of Ram on those cards should handle higher resolutions without breaking too much of a sweat at all. Not to mention using Downsampling in combination with traditional AA looks great if frame rates can be kept over 60hz (limited to 60 by vsync anyway), which two 680's should be able to do with the most games.

It's something to consider anyway, if you can't go above 60hz, no reason to not try to at least increase the resolution. Also, if it were me on a display limited to 60hz, I wouldn't use NVIDIA's auto timings. I would set the desktop resolution to 2560x1440, 2880x1620, or 3200x1800 and then select "CVT Reduced Blank" timings which would bypass scaling on the GPUs and send the full signal to the panel. If it won't accept the signals that way (which some panels won't due to scaling issues of the display or pixel clock limitations of the display), then you can still try using the Auto setting (which sends the scaled resolution to the display at 1080p timings) rather than the actual resolution timings. The reason I would try to use the actual timings is because your display (if it can scale them) will likely do a much better job at scaling than the PC.

MickWizz

Post by MickWizz » 23 Mar 2014, 12:06

Thank you. I will give it a try. You mention about taking a picture. I don't see the blurry test for that. Can you point me to the right direction ? Thank again. ;)

trey31

Post by trey31 » 23 Mar 2014, 13:36

MickWizz wrote:Thank you. I will give it a try. You mention about taking a picture. I don't see the blurry test for that. Can you point me to the right direction ? Thank again. ;)
http://www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping is the test for checking frameskipping, but it only applies to testing higher refresh rates for frame skipping. But since your panel refuses 62hz, I'd guess it probably isn't skipping at 61hz, but it could still cause blurring. Like I said an old Samsung I had blurred a lot even at 61hz. I have a westinghouse something or other that made it up to 74 or 75hz that blurred (and probably frame skipped as well) over 63hz, and several old 1280x1024 displays that refuse do 1hz more nor any downsampling.

The level of bluriness is sort of subjective. Try to view a single Red or Blue 1 pixel wide x 50+ pixels tall line from ms paint or similar with zoom set to 100% on a white background. If it appears to be more than one (tiny) pixel wide, or looks blurry like it has a shadow around it or anything, then you'll know the display is blurring at 61hz. You'll probably have to get all up in the panel's grille to see if it is in fact only 1 pixel wide (or since it is a solid red or blue line, 1/3 of a pixel wide).

Or you could try reading 6 point font from a couple feet away. That isn't nearly as accurate though.

MickWizz

Post by MickWizz » 23 Mar 2014, 14:48

I was able to do 2560 x 1440 with the auto timing mode. The bad thing about is that I can't use the aspect ratio. otherwise , I've two black bars. When i use the full screen mode its ok but , not as clear.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 24 Mar 2014, 03:41

MickWizz wrote:I was able to do 2560 x 1440 with the auto timing mode. The bad thing about is that I can't use the aspect ratio. otherwise , I've two black bars. When i use the full screen mode its ok but , not as clear.
This is with HDMI correct? I would guess the GPU scaling is causing blurring. 1440 can do up to 80-85hz over HDMI I believe, so 60hz with actual 1440p timings should be okay if the display can scale it down to fit. Did you try it with CVT Reduced or Manual timings? If it shows up on screen the display's scaling should appear much, much better than the Auto timings.