A couple quick and simple questions [overclocking to 75Hz]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Praetorr

A couple quick and simple questions [overclocking to 75Hz]

Post by Praetorr » 02 Apr 2014, 19:31

Hi everyone. I'm new to monitor overclocking altogether, and I just have a couple quick questions.

1) I raised my refresh rate from 60hz @1680/1050 to 75hz @1680/1050 using the standard Nvidia Control Panel. I used "CVT - reduced blank" in order to make it work. Are there any potential reasons NOT to use CVT - reduced blank, or did I do everything properly?

2) I read in some guides that you have to install a new monitor drivers to enable the higher hz in games. I currently just have the standard Viewsonic VG2230wm driver that Windows 7 found and installed when I setup my computer. Do I really need to uninstall that and install a new one, or will games run fine at 75hz as long as Vsync is off?

Thank you! I'm very new to this so any help would be hugely appreciated.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: A couple quick and simple questions [overclocking to 75H

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Apr 2014, 00:13

Moved this thread to overclocking forum.
Praetorr wrote:1) I raised my refresh rate from 60hz @1680/1050 to 75hz @1680/1050 using the standard Nvidia Control Panel. I used "CVT - reduced blank" in order to make it work. Are there any potential reasons NOT to use CVT - reduced blank, or did I do everything properly?
Reduced blank increases overclocking margin.

It's safe to do so if the image appears. Some monitors cannot handle reduced blank and simply displays a black screen or "out of range" error, etc. But if it works, you're good. Blanking intervals are simply pauses between rows of pixels (horizontal blanking) and pauses between refreshes (vertical blanking). Originally as a guard delay for moving a electron ray beam inside a CRT to a new position, these are less necessary for LCD displays as flat panel monitors can begin refreshing the next pixel very quickly after the previous pixel. If you ever owned an old television that had a rolling picture, that black bar is a blanking interval. Thicker black bar = larger blanking interval. In other words, "blanking" is a legacy feature carried over from the CRT days.
Praetorr wrote:2) I read in some guides that you have to install a new monitor drivers to enable the higher hz in games. I currently just have the standard Viewsonic VG2230wm driver that Windows 7 found and installed when I setup my computer. Do I really need to uninstall that and install a new one, or will games run fine at 75hz as long as Vsync is off?
There are many ways to force a monitor to overclock. If you use custom resolution utilities such as ToastyX CRU or NVIDIA Custom Resolution, it is not necessary to replace the monitor driver.

Also, the ability to run at a specific hardware refresh rate (e.g. 75Hz) has nothing to do with the software VSYNC setting. VSYNC ON or VSYNC OFF. The VSYNC setting in the game only affects the timing of how the game presents the frame to the monitor (affecting motion fluidity, tearing, etc), and has nothing to do with controlling a display's refresh rate or overclocking ability. Obviously, during VSYNC ON, framerate only becomes perfectly tear-free and perfectly microstutter-free when you run at framerate==refreshrate. So you can even run at 75Hz during either VSYNC ON (e.g. 75fps@75Hz) or during VSYNC OFF (framerate uncouipled from refreshrate).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!