Refresh Rates drop in game [fixed]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
policiacaro

Refresh Rates drop in game [fixed]

Post by policiacaro » 22 Apr 2014, 17:54

I have a Samsung Syncmaster S22B310, and using the Nvidia Control Panel, I managed to get it to clock to about 79 Hz before I started experiencing issues with it. I dropped it down to 75 Hz to keep it stable, and i noticed that when I push the menu button on the panel, to adjust its settings, in the Information part, it tells me the refresh rate that the monitor is running at. When I am just sitting on the internet or my desktop, it is reading at:
DVI
84.4kHz 75Hz PP
1920x1080

but whenever I launch a game, it drops the 75Hz to 60Hz. What could be causing this issue?

I just got off the phone with Samsung customer support, and they told me that the panel can display that, but it will display what the source is giving it, so my source is sending a 60Hz signal. Given that this is a PC, does that mean my graphics cards (780 Ti) are stuck sending video at 60Hz?

Update:
It seems that the majority of my games DONT allow the 75Hz, its just a couple that do. Heres a list of games that wont work with 75Hz:
Blacklight: Tango Down
Blade Symphony
Divine Divinity (I was surprised, this game is archaic)
Dota 2
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Path of Exile
Resident Evil 5
Spelunky
Starforge Alpha
Time of Shadows

I noticed when I launched Time of Shadows that the information window that comes up when I press the menu button for the monitor, the one ive been using, instead of reading PP it read NP after Hz, so it looked like

49.7kHz 60Hz NP
instead of
84.4kHz 75Hz PP

could that have anything to do with it? I would really like to look into this matter, I want to see if I can make this monitor work at 75Hz

policiacaro

Re: Refresh Rates drop in game

Post by policiacaro » 22 Apr 2014, 20:48

The simplest workaround I have found is to just run my games as a borderless fullscreen window; Very simple and non-intrusive, but itd be nice to run something without having to do this.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 22 Apr 2014, 22:46

The game need to support this. Some games will explicitly switch to the default video mode and do not allow you to change that. Some others will use whatever mode the desktop uses. And some can be configured to use a specific mode.

If you want all games to use the higher refresh rate, then you need to make the mode with the higher refresh rate be the first one listed in CRU. To do that, simply select the mode and click the "up" arrow button until it's the first mode listed.

If you are not using CRU, then... use CRU. Don't make your life difficult :-) Get it here:

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... tility-CRU

Delete the 75Hz custom mode that you created in the NVidia Control Panel (or the AMD one, if you're on a Radeon). Then, start CRU and create a 75Hz mode there (using "Automatic - LCD Standard", since with "LCD Reduced" your monitor or your GPU can freak out. If they don't, then "LCD Reduced" is actually better due to the lower pixel clock.) Then as described above, move that mode to the top of the list, click OK, and reboot.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

policiacaro

Post by policiacaro » 23 Apr 2014, 09:10

RealNC wrote:The game need to support this. Some games will explicitly switch to the default video mode and do not allow you to change that. Some others will use whatever mode the desktop uses. And some can be configured to use a specific mode.

If you want all games to use the higher refresh rate, then you need to make the mode with the higher refresh rate be the first one listed in CRU. To do that, simply select the mode and click the "up" arrow button until it's the first mode listed.

If you are not using CRU, then... use CRU. Don't make your life difficult :-) Get it here:

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa ... tility-CRU

Delete the 75Hz custom mode that you created in the NVidia Control Panel (or the AMD one, if you're on a Radeon). Then, start CRU and create a 75Hz mode there (using "Automatic - LCD Standard", since with "LCD Reduced" your monitor or your GPU can freak out. If they don't, then "LCD Reduced" is actually better due to the lower pixel clock.) Then as described above, move that mode to the top of the list, click OK, and reboot.
This did the trick, its finally working in all games. Thank you, I had no idea it was so simple to use ToastyX CRU