GPU Boost 2.0 can increase refresh rates of monitors 144hz?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
RealNC
Site Admin

Re: GPU Boost 2.0 can increase refresh rates of monitors 144

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2014, 18:27

valfranx wrote:taken from the own nvidia site.
It's not true what that site says. It would appear someone at NVidia was horribly confused. Or they simply forgot to actually remove the pixel clock limit from the driver after making the announcement.

In either case, good luck trying to OC an SL-DVI 60Hz monitor past 66Hz without patching the driver binary.

Maybe I should actually contact NVidia's customer support about this, pointing them at that web page and asking them why the GPU Boost 2.0 card I bought doesn't work as advertised?

Edit:

Reading more on that page suggests to me that whoever wrote it is indeed not qualified to actually write the stuff:
Many PC gamers play with VSync enabled to avoid unsightly image tearing that occurs when the frame rate is higher than the monitor’s refresh rate.
No comment.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 30 Apr 2014, 19:15

RealNC wrote:
Black Octagon wrote:I agree that NV has simply removed the pixel clock limits from their drivers with GPU Boost 2.0...ToastyX's full patcher hasn't been necessary with the 780 and above for some time I believe.
Nope, they didn't remove it. I can't raise the pixel clock above 165MHz (66Hz) without using the ToastyX patcher, and I'm using a 780 with latest drivers.
On what monitor and what type of DVI? My understanding was that ToastyX's patch was only ever for Dual Link DVI (for which no limit ever existed in the standard). SL-DVI on the other hand has a built in 165MHz limit as was agreed when the DVI standard was first made

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

valfranx

Post by valfranx » 30 Apr 2014, 19:29

RealNC wrote:
It's not true what that site says. It would appear someone at NVidia was horribly confused. Or they simply forgot to actually remove the pixel clock limit from the driver after making the announcement.

In either case, good luck trying to OC an SL-DVI 60Hz monitor past 66Hz without patching the driver binary.
I agree, if there's something wrong with the ad so I'll be harmed because the reason I bought a video card with supports GPU Boost 2 was by the possibility it may increase the refresh rate of the monitor for gaming competitive and you tell me that this feature does not work, then it was just false advertising of the nvidia to make me buy a new card.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 30 Apr 2014, 21:51

See if it works first, then worry about it. I understand that EVGA PrecisionX is a simple and user friendly utility that helps change the refresh rate quickly on monitors that support this.

Note: I'm currently an AMD user so this is just what I recall reading. Haven't done it myself on NV

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2014, 22:01

Black Octagon wrote:
RealNC wrote:Nope, they didn't remove it. I can't raise the pixel clock above 165MHz (66Hz) without using the ToastyX patcher, and I'm using a 780 with latest drivers.
On what monitor and what type of DVI?
It's a Samsung XL2370 (a 1080p 60Hz monitor.) That means SL-DVI. And NVidia's page specifically mentions 60Hz monitors, which don't need, and therefore don't use, DL-DVI. They claim you can run your 60Hz monitor at 80Hz. Well, how's that supposed to work? 60Hz monitors use SL-DVI and NVidia forgot to remove the 165MHz limit?
My understanding was that ToastyX's patch was only ever for Dual Link DVI (for which no limit ever existed in the standard). SL-DVI on the other hand has a built in 165MHz limit as was agreed when the DVI standard was first made
ToastyX's patcher unlocks both the SL-DVI as well as DL-DVI limits. Overclocking is about exceeding the specs. When they claim that the driver allows you to OC your 60Hz monitor without external tools, then the only sane interpretation of that statement is that it allows you to OC your SL-DVI link.

That's what overclocking *is*.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 30 Apr 2014, 23:08

RealNC wrote:
Black Octagon wrote:
RealNC wrote:Nope, they didn't remove it. I can't raise the pixel clock above 165MHz (66Hz) without using the ToastyX patcher, and I'm using a 780 with latest drivers.
On what monitor and what type of DVI?
It's a Samsung XL2370 (a 1080p 60Hz monitor.) That means SL-DVI. And NVidia's page specifically mentions 60Hz monitors, which don't need, and therefore don't use, DL-DVI. They claim you can run your 60Hz monitor at 80Hz. Well, how's that supposed to work? 60Hz monitors use SL-DVI and NVidia forgot to remove the 165MHz limit?
My understanding was that ToastyX's patch was only ever for Dual Link DVI (for which no limit ever existed in the standard). SL-DVI on the other hand has a built in 165MHz limit as was agreed when the DVI standard was first made
ToastyX's patcher unlocks both the SL-DVI as well as DL-DVI limits. Overclocking is about exceeding the specs. When they claim that the driver allows you to OC your 60Hz monitor without external tools, then the only sane interpretation of that statement is that it allows you to OC your SL-DVI link.

That's what overclocking *is*.

Ok, let me explain what I mean - and I may very well be wrong - by first pointing you to the following:

1) http://www.monitortests.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3

2) http://overlordforum.com/topic/68-toastys-expert-post/

From these I have always understood the following:
- the patcher is not about SL-DVI, only DL...where did you get the notion that the patcher does anything at all to SL-DVI?
- the 165MHz pixel clock limit for SL is about more than just GPU drivers. It's a physical limit of SL-DVI cables, ports as required by the DVI standard and so one that software alone cannot overcome
- the existence of a 165MHz limit for SL-DVI has provoked the incorrect assumption that 'dual link' DVI must have a pixel clock limit of 330MHz (165 x 2) but this is absolutely false, as stated by ToastyX and as proven by the success of his patcher
- this misunderstanding about the (physical) limits of DL-DVI could even be a reason why AMD/NV saw fit to put a 330MHz pixel clock limit on their drivers

So, the point is that SL-DVI has limits that come direct from the DVI standard. DL-DVI, on the other hand, is only really limited to 330MHz by unnecessary limitations in GPU drivers (I.e., in physical terms, DL-DVI can handle a fair bit more).

For this reason, getting around the 165Mhz pixel clock limit of SL-DVI is not about driver limitations. To test whether a 1080/1200p monitor can be OC'd beyond 60Hz, regardless of whether the GPU uses Boost, 2.0, it is essential that the monitor in question is connected via an interface that is 'not SL-DVI.' I imagine DisplayPort would be an ideal candidate (or possibly HDMI, though that interface has its own limitations).

Again, very happy to be corrected here. Hoping ToastyX himself reads these boards from time to time and can chime in.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 01 May 2014, 00:24

Hm, that's the first time I hear about some physical speed limitation of SL-DVI. I am not an expert, but there doesn't appear to be such a limit. The patcher removed the driver limit for SL-DVI on my system:

If I don't apply the patch, I cannot raise the pixel clock above 165MHz. Well, the driver allows me to set frequencies higher than 66Hz, but they look cropped in the end, squashed, or otherwise corrupted. The driver simply doesn't set more than 165MHz, no matter how high you make the timings. So the results are always broken.

After I patch the driver, all works perfectly. My monitor get a signal that faster than 165MHz and everything works correctly.

This pretty much suggests that you can use whatever speed you like, it's just that the spec says 165MHz is the maximum recommended speed it is targeting. I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to exceed that recommendation.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 01 May 2014, 01:40

Interesting. In that case count me baffled. Would love to hear the input of Toasty here.

Trip

Post by Trip » 01 May 2014, 08:05

The dvi spec is still available via this site http://www.microprocessor.org/DVISpec.pdf on page 7 till 12 is where the interesting stuff is about links.
But let me summarize why it might occur that when you remove nvidia's software lock you can access more then 165mhz on a single link. The dvi spec states on page 11 "Any pixel format and blanking interval requiring more than a 165MHz-clock frequency must be supported using two T.M.D.S. links. " What this means is that monitor/gpu developers must account for this so if you buy a 2560 * 1600 display it must be the case it will be using two links not one. This however does not mean a user cannot go past this artificial limit of 165mhz the only limit is the bandwith of the copper inside the wire.
valfranx wrote:
RealNC wrote:

I agree, if there's something wrong with the ad so I'll be harmed because the reason I bought a video card with supports GPU Boost 2 was by the possibility it may increase the refresh rate of the monitor for gaming competitive and you tell me that this feature does not work, then it was just false advertising of the nvidia to make me buy a new card.
Again gpu boost 2.0 =/= display overclocking nvidia doesnt even state that at all they are two seperate features. The pixel clock limit means nothing. You can still overclock a 60hz monitor to 80hz in some cases they just used that as an example. The standard everyone claims everyone is using here is using 1920 * 1080 @ 60hz and indeed then sl-dvi will give trouble because of the pixel clock. But what if you used a 1440 * 900 monitor @ 60hz or a monitor with hdmi 1.3 or display port still enough monitors with those connections with a 60hz refresh rate. They do not falsely advertise at all overclocking anything is no promise at all. If you buy an intel cpu and it does not overclock from 3 to 4ghz you would not complain to intel either you cant get there it may happen but no promise.