GPU Boost 2.0 can increase refresh rates of monitors 144hz?

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
valfranx

GPU Boost 2.0 can increase refresh rates of monitors 144hz?

Post by valfranx » 26 Apr 2014, 21:28

just out of curiosity, I was reading about this article here about GPU Boost 2.0:
Monitor Overclocking

Now here's where a couple of your guys will say "huh?". Pretty much all monitors have a maximum of 60 Hz and thus can only show 60 frames per second. Did you know that a lot of monitors actually can take higher refresh rates like 70, 80 maybe even 100 Hz? The higher your monitor refresh rate the better your gaming experience as you can output more rendering awesomeness to your screen. And yes, it does matter. Typically what many of you guys did was to hack the EDID information of your monitor and that way try to "overclock" your monitor. EDID (Extended Display Identification Data) is a data-set that the monitor send towards the display adapter, the graphics cards reads out that information and then returns the video signal back to the compatible screen resolution, refresh rate and color depth. Nvidia will now allow you to overclock the display screen by making custom profiles, so you can check if the monitor can take like 70 or 80 Hz (or whatever). If you have found a compatible refresh rate you can apply it and keep using it. So you break away from the 60 Hz limitation.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/as ... iew,6.html
this will be possible with current monitors 144hz? was thinking of increasing to at least 150Hz.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: GPU Boost 2.0 can increase refresh rates of monitors 144

Post by RealNC » 27 Apr 2014, 18:21

I don't know what it is they're talking about. GPU Boost 2 has nothing to do with monitor refresh rate.

I have a GTX 780 which has GPU Boost 2.0, and it won't allow me to OC my monitor unless I apply a third-party patch to the driver, because NVidia places a limit on the pixel clock. By default, the driver will only allow me to go up to 66Hz on my 60Hz monitor.

I would take a guess that the person who wrote the article simply does not really know what he's talking about.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

valfranx

Post by valfranx » 28 Apr 2014, 05:26

RealNC wrote:I don't know what it is they're talking about. GPU Boost 2 has nothing to do with monitor refresh rate.

I have a GTX 780 which has GPU Boost 2.0, and it won't allow me to OC my monitor unless I apply a third-party patch to the driver, because NVidia places a limit on the pixel clock. By default, the driver will only allow me to go up to 66Hz on my 60Hz monitor.

I would take a guess that the person who wrote the article simply does not really know what he's talking about.
strange because several sites say that you can use GPU Boost 2 to make overclock of monitors.
GPU Boost 2.0 Display Overclocking and Conclusion
GPU Boost 2.0 Display Overclocking
Adaptive VSync was a new technology designed to smooth out framerates when you enable VSync in games. The end result was framerates that appeared to be smooth if the game dropped below 60fps. Of course 60fps was just a pre-determined threshold based on the standard LCD monitor refresh rate.

GPU Boost 2.0 brings with it the ability to overclock the LCD refresh rate by adjusting the pixel clock of your display. This allows you to run a higher refresh rate and smooth out your game display. Not all monitors support this feature so you will need to experiment,
http://www.hardwareasylum.com/reviews/v ... page4.aspx
Though this feature can technically work with any monitor, it’s primarily geared towards monitors such as the various Korean LG-based 2560x1440 monitors that have hit the market in the past year, a number of which have come with electronics capable of operating far in excess of the 60Hz that is standard for those monitors. On the models that have been able to handle it, modders have been able to get some of these 2560x1440 monitors up to and above 120Hz, essentially doubling their native 60Hz refresh rate to 120Hz, greatly improving smoothness to levels similar to a native 120Hz TN panel, but without the resolution and quality drawbacks inherent to those TN products.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6760/nvid ... n-part-1/6
Display Overclocking and Double Precision Performance
With the GeForce GTX 680 NVIDIA introduced a couple of unique features that weren't directly related to GPU performance. One of them was Frame Rate Target that allowed users to set a maximum frame rate for a game that might be older and not need the full power of the GPU powering your system. Another was Adaptive VSync that enabled a GPU to run with Vsync enabled when going OVER 60 Hz (or 120 Hz on an appropriate panel) but turn it off when dipping below 60 FPS.

Great stuff that improved game play experiences without being directly related to performance.

With the GTX TITAN NVIDIA is doing it again - this time with display overclocking.

"With GPU Boost 2.0, we’ve added a new feature that makes this possible: display overclocking. Using tools provided by our add-in card partners, you may be able to overclock the pixel clock of your display, allowing you to hit higher refresh rates."

The implications with this are pretty impressive and I am eager to try out the ability to overclock the various displays in our office and report back with results. NVIDIA claims that this is pretty safe and a simple test will determine if your monitor can handle higher refresh rates. This wasn't enabled in the version of Precision X we were using but hopefully we'll get it working by the end of the week.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-C ... d-GPGPU/Di

Trip

Post by Trip » 28 Apr 2014, 10:33

Before we are going to accuse guru3d of spreading misinformation they correctly discribe it in the article. The user just does not interpret it correctly mixing different titles as the title which describes this part of the text clearly says monitor overclocking not gpu boost 2.0. As for the original question can my display be overclocked further then 144hz there is no guarantee it will. I have a 120hz monitor standing here and it will not let me clock any further then 121hz no matter what I do so dont get your hopes up. 144hz is what it will do anything else is not supported and may or may not be achieved most likely not.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2014, 00:11

As I said, I can confirm myself that it does NOT work. The NVidia driver will now allow me to OC my monitor, unless I patch the driver with the "NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher" from ToastyX.

The driver has an internal lock on the maximum pixel clock, and you need to remove that lock with the aforementioned tool, even on GPU Boost 2.0 cards.
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Trip

Post by Trip » 30 Apr 2014, 09:54

"With GPU Boost 2.0, we’ve added a new feature that makes this possible: display overclocking. Using tools provided by our add-in card partners, you may be able to overclock the pixel clock of your display, allowing you to hit higher refresh rates."
These sentences are really deceptive I think but the keyword is in the word "with". As in, with this new feature(gpu boost 2.0) we also added this new feature(display overclocking). The only thing nvidia did is create there own version of a tool which edits the edid information. Custom resolution utility does an equivalent job just less flexible imo. Just look on the nvidia website under the gpu-boost 2.0 page it mentions nothing of display overclocking.
But your question can I aim for a 150hz overclock from 144hz no absolutely no guarantee but you might. Just like will my cpu go from 3ghz to 4ghz you might but no guarantee. Display overclocking either goes to crazy amounts like from 60 to 120 in those korean monitors or more likely nothing at all. My monitor can do 60, 100, 110 and 120 hz. But a simple 70hz no way makes no sense right? As for the pixel clock it is limited to 330mhz I believe patching it gives you higher mhz's then 330. But this is only usefull if you make it to that limit most overclocks on most monitors will probably have failed long before that.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2014, 10:27

Trip wrote:As for the pixel clock it is limited to 330mhz I believe patching it gives you higher mhz's then 330. But this is only usefull if you make it to that limit most overclocks on most monitors will probably have failed long before that.
You're talking about DL-DVI. The article mentioned OCing your 60Hz monitor. Those are SL-DVI. The NVidia driver limits that to 165Mhz. On 1920x1080, that's 66Hz. You need to modify the driver binary to get rid of that limit.

So the story of "OC your 60Hz monitor with GPU Boost 2.0" is, sorry to say, just complete garbage written by someone with no clue.

(I'm not claiming that I'm not clueless either. But I'm not writing articles on high-profile websites.)

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 30 Apr 2014, 11:17

^ yep, though strictly speaking SL-DVI only does 60Hz at standard resolutions up to 1920x1080/1200. At 2560x1440 you need DL-DVI, even at 60Hz.

I agree that NV has simply removed the pixel clock limits from their drivers with GPU Boost 2.0...ToastyX's full patcher hasn't been necessary with the 780 and above for some time I believe. Interestingly, in SLI the drivers still need the full patch

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 30 Apr 2014, 14:03

Black Octagon wrote:I agree that NV has simply removed the pixel clock limits from their drivers with GPU Boost 2.0...ToastyX's full patcher hasn't been necessary with the 780 and above for some time I believe.
Nope, they didn't remove it. I can't raise the pixel clock above 165MHz (66Hz) without using the ToastyX patcher, and I'm using a 780 with latest drivers.

valfranx

Post by valfranx » 30 Apr 2014, 17:01

taken from the own nvidia site.
Display Overclocking: Unleashing Your Monitor’s Potential

Many PC gamers play with VSync enabled to avoid unsightly image tearing that occurs when the frame rate is higher than the monitor’s refresh rate. Most monitors are locked to 60Hz, limiting the max VSync frame rate to 60 frames per second. Thing is, 60Hz is a hang-up from the olden days of cathode ray tube technology, but we stick with it, simply because.

Unhappy with this stall in technological advancement, our engineers looked inside today’s LCD and LED-backlit screens, and discovered that many support higher refresh rates. For that reason, we’ve developed Display Overclocking, which allows GeForce GTX 780 owners to quickly and easily overclock their refresh rates via the same third-party tools that control GPU Boost 2.0. And of course, Display Overclocking works with Adaptive VSync too, allowing games to be played at 80Hz or more on a “60Hz” screen, without tearing, and without the stuttering associated with normal VSync.

Display Overclocking works on faster 120Hz and 144Hz displays, too.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articl ... ce-gtx-780