Problem with tv overclock [fixed]

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
derschniffles

Problem with tv overclock [fixed]

Post by derschniffles » 10 May 2014, 11:39

Hello all, first post here! Hoping to get this resolved for smooth 120hz gaming!

So I bought a new Vizio 55" tv a few weeks ago. Much to my suprise, it can do 120hz through the nvidia control panel with automatic settings which is great. It was validated through the ufo test and all the others. However there are 2 main problems that will crush my hopes and dreams so to speak haha.

1. Whenever I switch to 120hz, the colors on the tv look terribad. Like the color got sucked out or something. I have to increase the color on the tv by about 15 to get it to look decent. But then if I switch back to 60hz (eg, some games dont have an option to change the refresh rate, so it defaults to 60hz) and then go back to 120hz, the color looks washed out again, regaurdless of my changing anything on the tv. Then whats weird is if i change anything on the tv itself by 1 (eg color from 69 to 70) all my settings go back to they way i changed them before. So the color or any other settings simply wont stick without me physically picking up the remote and changing a setting by 1 each and every time.

2.Now my original fix for keeping everything at 120hz was using CRU to put the custom refresh rate in windows/nvidia control panel but the problem is that I have my computer hooked into my Sony AVR system and the second I put ANYTHING into CRU and restart, I lose my hdmi audio to my AVR. I gotta have my hdmi audio to my AVR.....so it seems like any time the signal or what have you is altered, I lose my audio to my AVR.

edit- also a small note-it does not matter what i put the refresh rate at for both of these problems to occur. It could be 61-120hz, it does not matter, both problems remain.

I hope this all makes sense and some genius can lend me a helping hand. Thanks for your time.

derschniffles

Re: Problem with tv overclock

Post by derschniffles » 10 May 2014, 16:21

So I fixed the sound issue. I went over to toastyx's forum and he had a file to import into cru for hdmi audio, and it worked like a charm. This also fixed some issues with how the resolution came up in the control panel as well, but all is working the way it should.

I still have the color issue though, any ideas on that?

edit: I apparently lied-Hdmi audio does work but its now only 2 channel stereo :(

trey31

Post by trey31 » 13 May 2014, 13:08

Can you share the exact model number of the set?

I have a M651d-A2R. There is a thread on it here: http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic ... 4&start=40

I haven't had any color issues except during extremely fast motion flicking/jerking of the mouse in Dead Space games in extremely dark areas which introduces red blur-like artifacts, but in my opinion it is directly related to those games because I can't replicate it in other FPS games with really dark areas, with the exception of BioShock which does the same with red in one room or green in another. I think it has to do with the lighting in some games and the set blurring a few frames during fast motion.

If you have an NVIDIA card try changing this setting from RGB to YCbCr 4:4:4 Image.

Also try to turn off any and all processing done by the TV. No film mode or motion plus or anything. Also try cnet's calibration settings if there are any for your specific set. This thread is about odd handling of 4:4:4 by the Vizio M651d http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=474 but it could help to check it out.

Also, there is a chance that the AV receiver is not passing through all of the information to the set, color or audio wise, above 60hz. Some won't. Most won't pass 4K@24hz or 30hz either. Or it could be converting the color space from 4:4:4 to 4:2:0 or something else. Try picking up an HDMI splitter and send one cable to the receiver for audio, and another to the TV. No guarantee that splitting the signal won't degrade the video quality, but it should be fine as it is duplicating the data and not actually splitting it over analog cables.

Also custom resolutions "total pixels" affect the bandwidth for audio as well (at least on the M651d) and increasing the total horizontal pixel width can restore sound if it isn't present or is intermittent.

derschniffles

Post by derschniffles » 19 May 2014, 16:46

thank you for your reply.

I do have an nvidia card, I tried changing the color but it makes it look very washed out when I change it from RGB to ybbcr. I have tried everything to get my audio working but the most I get is 2 channel audio. Does not matter what refresh rate I change it to, the minute I edit anything using CRU it takes away my hdmi audio (but if i use the audio.dat all i get is 2 channel audio).

I think you are right about my AVR not being able to properly pass anything past 60hz. Oddly enough though, if i just make a custom resolution, it works fine. Problem with that is none of my games show any custom resolution so its kind of a moot point unless I run everything in a fullscreen window and some games do not allow that.

On a possitive note, this tv will do 1440p at 100hz! Pretty impressive for the cheapest 55" LED bestbuy had haha.
The model number is E550i-B2.

trey31

Post by trey31 » 20 May 2014, 11:24

derschniffles wrote:On a possitive note, this tv will do 1440p at 100hz! Pretty impressive for the cheapest 55" LED bestbuy had haha.
The model number is E550i-B2.
Let Chief Blur Buster know about your results so that set can be added to the list of overclock TVs. Take some pics to verify its not frame skipping though first.

I've got a modified driver file I used. MonInfo and something else I can't currently recall with CRU as well, and then oddball custom NVIDIA resolutions on top of that. I don't remember what I did about the audio. Cut and Pasted from something else maybe?

I made custom resolutions using CRU that are larger than any downsampling resolutions I use, and added VESA standard resolutions with 120hz and after that Windows 8 and then 8.1 recognize any resolution I setup in NVIDIA (4K or less and 120hz or less) and of course games do as well, except for Hall of Shame games.

Here is a screen of Dead Space showing the custom resolution:

As far as the E series I can't really help with the color, but with accurate 4:4:4 chroma there will be a greater range of color displayed by the TV than RGB or compressed color spaces like 4:2:0. Some of the "black" colors become dark greens or purples or reds because there is more depth of color. This makes the screen appear to have less contrast (because the TV is displaying fewer "black" colors), but in reality it is the screen finally displaying the darkest colors properly, most of which aren't actually black but rather dark shades of colors. Also sharpness should almost always be set to "0" to prevent the TV from softening/blurring pixels in it's image processing. You really can't get any "sharper" than YCbCr 4:4:4 already is, so any amount of "sharpening" being set on the TV is likely going to alter the image quality in an undesirable way. http://www.belle-nuit.com/test-chart is a good place to get an idea of how different "sharpness" settings affect uncompressed color signals. Also used to test to see if a TV can display 4:4:4 or not. It looks like this:
(you'll need to view a full-size test chart, not this one)

But either way you shouldn't be seeing anything "washed out", only slightly less contrast than with compressed color spaces. Overall YCbCr 4:4:4 should look (subjectively) better than a compressed color space, if it doesn't, try out the belle-nuit tests and see if the smallest vertical lines are actually displaying 1 pixel width or if they appear blurred across 2 pixels. If they're blurry, the the TV isn't capable of properly displaying 4:4:4. Since the M series does though, I would suspect other Vizio panels might as well, but it's no guarantee as Vizio uses LG panels in their 3D sets, and other manufacturer panels in their standard sets. I am curious to hear/see how the E series displays 4:4:4 though, if you'd like to post a follow-up?

derschniffles

Re: Problem with tv overclock [fixed]

Post by derschniffles » 10 Jun 2014, 13:32

Sorry it took me so long to reply, been a bit crazy as of late.

So as an update, my tv had a new firmware update and what do you know, I can just create a custom resolution for the refresh rate and I now have 120hz without any change to the color. No more color crush what so-ever and everything working like a charm. Good day to be me!

Edit: and without having to use CRU, I dont have anything messing with my hdmi audio!

GTMoogle

Post by GTMoogle » 14 Jun 2014, 06:30

Hey, I have an E550i-B2 and nvidia and I've spent all morning with the UFO frame skipping test showing me every other block no matter what settings I tweak in the custom resolution.

Can you give me any advice? Timings, TV settings, anything.

When I switch it to 120hz, the TV recognizes something is different and doesn't show the settings for stuff like backlight zones, sharpness, etc, so it seems like it should be working. But I only get every other frame.

720p@120hz also skips down to 60 hz.

blaze_itt

Post by blaze_itt » 06 Jul 2014, 23:39

GTMoogle wrote:Hey, I have an E550i-B2 and nvidia and I've spent all morning with the UFO frame skipping test showing me every other block no matter what settings I tweak in the custom resolution.

Can you give me any advice? Timings, TV settings, anything.

When I switch it to 120hz, the TV recognizes something is different and doesn't show the settings for stuff like backlight zones, sharpness, etc, so it seems like it should be working. But I only get every other frame.

720p@120hz also skips down to 60 hz.
I have this tv as well and also get frame skipping at 120hz :(. were you able to get it to work fine OP?

GTMoogle

Post by GTMoogle » 07 Jul 2014, 08:21

I tried stalking, err, messaging someone with the same handle on Twitter, but their last post was 2 years ago, no response. Is there any way to get this board to send them an email? Are posters automatically subscribed to their posts?

Plz respond op! :)

trey31

Post by trey31 » 14 Jul 2014, 12:11

GTMoogle wrote:I tried stalking, err, messaging someone with the same handle on Twitter, but their last post was 2 years ago, no response. Is there any way to get this board to send them an email? Are posters automatically subscribed to their posts?

Plz respond op! :)
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=991

This is a thread confirming 120hz on the E701i-A3, dunno if it will be of any help. I've never seen frame-skipping on the M651d-A2 below 120hz at any resolution I've tested so I dunno if I can be of any help.