Question about Seiki 50"

Talk about overclocking displays at a higher refresh rate. This includes homebrew, 165Hz, QNIX, Catleap, Overlord Tempest, SEIKI displays, certain HDTVs, and other overclockable displays.
Badstar

Question about Seiki 50"

Post by Badstar » 02 Jun 2014, 10:44

Hello everyone, I am just about to purchase the Seiki 50" and my plan is to run it at 1080p@120hz.

How blurry would the screen be if I were to sit at around 3-4ft away? Is there a certain distance I have to be to fully enjoy the experience?

Any help/insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Question about Seiki 50"

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jun 2014, 18:05

Badstar wrote:Hello everyone, I am just about to purchase the Seiki 50" and my plan is to run it at 1080p@120hz.

How blurry would the screen be if I were to sit at around 3-4ft away? Is there a certain distance I have to be to fully enjoy the experience?

Any help/insight would be appreciated! Thanks!
The SEIKI 50" 4K HDTV doing 1080p true-120Hz looks pretty good from 4 feet away, that tends to be the sweet spot. It is not blurry at all from this viewing distance. Much closer than this, it does start to look blurry.

The sweet spot for 1080p gaming tends to be approximately 1:1 view distance (e.g. 4 feet away from a 50" display, or 2 feet away from a 24" monitor), this gives you similar angular density of pixels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Waddo

Post by Waddo » 02 Jun 2014, 22:42

This is my favourite calculator for viewing distances and such although it hasn't been updated in a while it lets you edit everything in excel format...
http://carltonbale.com/home-theater/hom ... alculator/

if you have 20/20 vision then you can position your eyeballs up to 6.5 feet away but no less than 2.6 feet because of field of view but grainy fly-screen effect depends on the type of pixel formations/angles/filters etc. plus your brain might fry...
enjoy...

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jun 2014, 19:17

Thanks for the tip -- I've worked in the home theater industry, so I'm familiar with this.

Often, computer and gaming view distances tend to be different from television view distances. But it is all converging, with lots of computers and computer-like devices connected to TVs nowadays. Generally, 1:1 screen width viewing is common for computers -- e.g. approx 2 feet away from a 24" monitor, which doubles-up to approx 4 feet away from a 48" TV.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!