Acer GN 246 Lightboost hack support?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
amateraz

Acer GN 246 Lightboost hack support?

Post by amateraz » 16 Aug 2014, 18:10

Greetings folks,
I recently ordered the named screen, unknowing about the benefit of lightboost hack.
Now that I researched a lot and found out, that the named screen is not supported yet by the neccessary programs (strobelight etc) I wondered if you know whether/if the Gn 246 (144Hz) is going to be supported soon and its lightboost "hackable" as well.
If it actually IS possible on the GN 246 , does anybody know a clear HOWTO ? the forum threads I read, doesn`t make the impression that someone with the GN 246 solved it.

if it is not possible, im urged to cancel my order folks, so its quite important ^^

thank you in advance,
amateraz

loltastic

Re: Acer GN 246 Lightboost hack support?

Post by loltastic » 17 Aug 2014, 11:45

Hey there, GN246HL owner here

I've been trying to find a solution to this problem the entire weekend and it seems that after hours of trying I have perhaps come up with a plausible solution. Though I'm yet to do any proper testing to see that lightboost is actually on.

I actually managed to enable Strobelight Beta4 (by ToastyX) on the Acer GN246HL with the help of CRU

I simply followed the steps for the CRU method here http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

managing to make the driver to think I have a 120hz Asus with a built-in 3d emitter

which made me able to launch the Strobelight.

Now then, when I change the values in the Strobelight the screen brightness definetly changes (good sign?). But the Lightboost slider in the monitor OSD still seems to be locked. Not sure what to think of that.

Edit: ok, the slider in the OSD is unlocked and can be altered either by Storbelight or manual adjustment.

Edit: So I've been testing this out playing fast paced fps games and I can definetly feel the difference. Especially when playing with a 1000hz mouse. The difference with smoothness was massive when I changed from 125hz mouse to 1000hz.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 Aug 2014, 09:25

Good job -
Yes, the good old LightBoost HOWTO, using the 3D emitter trick, is the easiest way to get the ACER to run LightBoost.

And yes, Strobelight can be used to tweak the monitor, afterwards, even if Strobelight was originally developed to work with ASUS and BENQ monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

gnarlybastard

Post by gnarlybastard » 22 Aug 2014, 15:41

Chief Blur Buster wrote:Good job -
Yes, the good old LightBoost HOWTO, using the 3D emitter trick, is the easiest way to get the ACER to run LightBoost.

And yes, Strobelight can be used to tweak the monitor, afterwards, even if Strobelight was originally developed to work with ASUS and BENQ monitors.
How can I do this 3D emitter trick? I got a GN246 monitor today, and I can't figure out how to do this. Do I need to change the product ID in CRU or something like that? I'm lost.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 24 Aug 2014, 09:14

You can use the "3d vision emulator.zip" file. There should be a post on overclock.net that links to it.
Actually I found it.

http://kostasoft.com/downloads/3Dvision.zip

You use that along with the inf override from blur busters, that makes your monitor looks like an Asus 3d vision LCD.
You should be able to activate lightboost that way.
Perhaps the easiest way is to just define a custom 1920x1080 vertical total with 1138 for 100hz and 1149 for 120hz while running the emulator.

This obviously requires an Nvidia card to work. You can only do this on an AMD card by FIRST using an Nvidia card or laptop with a 500+ series GeForce M as a surrogate (believe it or not, you can use a DVI to HDMI adapter and define a custom 120hz resolution, even though it won't be properly supported...the monitor will still test successfully, although with a corrupted screen. Once lightboost is unlocked, using the CRU timings on an AMD card will make it work again until the monitor is power cycled.

This even works on the Benq Z series, and will probably work on the RoG Swift (since ULMB won't work on AMD no matter what you do).

gnarlybastard

Post by gnarlybastard » 25 Aug 2014, 09:58

Falkentyne wrote:You can use the "3d vision emulator.zip" file. There should be a post on overclock.net that links to it.
Actually I found it.

http://kostasoft.com/downloads/3Dvision.zip

You use that along with the inf override from blur busters, that makes your monitor looks like an Asus 3d vision LCD.
You should be able to activate lightboost that way.
Perhaps the easiest way is to just define a custom 1920x1080 vertical total with 1138 for 100hz and 1149 for 120hz while running the emulator.

This obviously requires an Nvidia card to work. You can only do this on an AMD card by FIRST using an Nvidia card or laptop with a 500+ series GeForce M as a surrogate (believe it or not, you can use a DVI to HDMI adapter and define a custom 120hz resolution, even though it won't be properly supported...the monitor will still test successfully, although with a corrupted screen. Once lightboost is unlocked, using the CRU timings on an AMD card will make it work again until the monitor is power cycled.

This even works on the Benq Z series, and will probably work on the RoG Swift (since ULMB won't work on AMD no matter what you do).
Thanks man. If I knew what a hassle it would be to enable a simple function I wouldn't have bought this monitor. Luckily I do have nvidia card so this shouldn't be a problem.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Aug 2014, 15:51

LightBoost is great, but it is more of a 'hack' than the newer LightBoost sequels.
If you want an EASY method of turning on LightBoost, I recommend the sequels/clones of LightBoost:

1. NVIDIA ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur)
2. EIZO Turbo240
3. BENQ Blur Reduction
4. LG Motion240 (currently Asia only)

All the above gaming monitor strobe backlights allow you to turn on/off the blur reduction via a button on the monitor. Easy ON/OFF. No software needed. LightBoost is an older first-generation strobe backlight that's two years old, there's newer LightBoost clones that are better, with a brighter picture and better color quality. See Official List of 120Hz+ Monitors.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sukka

Post by sukka » 13 Nov 2014, 17:47

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I've exhausted all of my google-fu and looked at a bunch of threads for this monitor, and this seems like the place to ask, so...

What can I do to enable Lightboost if I have the GN246HL, an AMD card, and no Nvidia "surrogate" card? Is it just not possible? I'm (obviously) brand new to the 120/144hz club, so sorry for my ignorance.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Nov 2014, 18:36

If Toastyx's strobelight will not initialize the monitor (same issue with the Z series benqs) then you're out of luck.
The only way strobelight could be updated to work on monitors that don't allow the workaround strobelight used for the handshake, was if someone sent toastyX one of the new monitors.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 14 Nov 2014, 13:42