Free 120Hz Monitor Giveaway -- ended Feb 28th, 2015

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Free 120Hz Monitor for random Newly Registered Forum Mem

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 27 Feb 2015, 13:24

There will be a second monitor giveaway contest later this year, that also includes existing forum members. I already have a few spare monitors. Keep paying attention to the forums for the announcement within a few/several months :)

For THIS particular giveaway (February 2015), make sure you finish making your 5 posts as a new forum member, by the end of February!
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

LaffTrack

Post by LaffTrack » 28 Feb 2015, 05:27

Well I found this site because I just bought a 144hz monitor and was looking for info but another high refresh monitor couldn't hurt. Good luck all.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 28 Feb 2015, 06:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There will be a second monitor giveaway contest later this year, that also includes existing forum members. I already have a few spare monitors. Keep paying attention to the forums for the announcement within a few/several months :)

For THIS particular giveaway (February 2015), make sure you finish making your 5 posts as a new forum member, by the end of February!
On behalf of all existing forum members, I think it's safe to say that the excitement level just doubled! :)

masterotaku

Post by masterotaku » 01 Mar 2015, 17:36

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There will be a second monitor giveaway contest later this year, that also includes existing forum members.
Great :D . I told a friend of mine about this giveaway, but he was too lazy to even register. Let's see if I can get something for my brother in the next giveaway.
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz
GPU: Gainward Phoenix 1080 GLH
RAM: GSkill Ripjaws Z 3866MHz CL19
Motherboard: Gigabyte Gaming M5 Z270
Monitor: Asus PG278QR

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Free 120Hz Monitor Giveaway -- ended Feb 28th, 2015

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Mar 2015, 19:37

The giveaway has ended!

The winner will be chosen by getting a random number (between the starting forum member number and the ending forum member number) from http://www.random.org. I will also publicly announce it here.

winner will be notified by March 15th, 2015
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Mar 2015, 22:17

Chief Blur Buster wrote: winner will be notified by March 15th, 2015
Wait, why would you wait two weeks before giving it away? :?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Mar 2015, 12:34

lexlazootin wrote:
Chief Blur Buster wrote: winner will be notified by March 15th, 2015
Wait, why would you wait two weeks before giving it away? :?
It is not as easy as pulling a number out of a hat.
There's actually a law that applies to me.

<LONG-ANSWER>
There's a process totalling several hours, almost a full day's work, that also (a) involves running the random selection process with the correct starting and ending member numbers at random.org (b) record/screenshot of the randomization (a legal record, y'know, for disputes)... (c) verifying eligibility which includes, (d) qualified location, (d) qualified postcount, (e) scanning for duplicate accounts/abuse, (f) notifying the person privately before publicly announcing, (g) applying the legally-required skill test question for legal reasons (h) repeating steps (a)-(f) if necessary during eligibility failures, (i) public announcement on forum, blog and witter, (j) boxing up the monitor, (k) begin for shipping process including the (l) possible trip to financial institution for shipping expense, (m) trip to post office or depending on destination country, also a visit FedEx/UPS/DHL, and (n) including writing up an international customs invoice (boooring!). (can cost up to $100 for certain countries, and since it's being paid out of the blog's budget -- essentially out of my pocket -- which means free shipping for the recipient!) There are additional steps, but this is the short simplified version. Fun stuff, indeed!

Keep in mind there are some laws involved on a blog's giveaway, to make sure it is compatible with the legislation put upon sweepstakes and lotteries, both where the blog is and where the winner is, some of this stuff could unexpectedly be illegal in some countries -- apparently. Wikipedia covers this in this entry. Even the popular howstuffworks.com site has an article: "Why are some national contests invalid in certain states and other countries?" ... I have tried my best to keep this giveaway as simple as possible, some contests have 20-page legal agreements! Ouch. While some of this is new to Blur Busters, all the big major sites have to all follow the same laws too... :shock:

Besides, I also have my own (non-Blur Busters) full time job, which I have to juggle Blur Busters time with -- so the 15th is a reasonable deadline. :)

I will, of course, make an effort, to do it all sooner -- so that's why I said "by..." -- it's just the latest possible date, given unexpected delays, etc. I know some people are holding off a monitor purchase to learn whether they got picked or not, so I understand -- I consider that an incentive to hurry things up where possible, even if a little!
</LONG-ANSWER>

mutantmagnet

Post by mutantmagnet » 02 Mar 2015, 14:35

Ha that feels like a copy and paste of when you first started hammering the details of how to do this contest. Thanks for clarifying. I've always been curious about the nitty gritty details.

pewpew93

Post by pewpew93 » 02 Mar 2015, 17:04

Chief Blur Buster wrote:There will be a second monitor giveaway contest later this year, that also includes existing forum members. I already have a few spare monitors. Keep paying attention to the forums for the announcement within a few/several months :)

Wooo double the chance of winning!! Would love another monitor :D

blargg

Post by blargg » 03 Mar 2015, 15:05

Let's not assume that the second giveaway will be based on number of posts. Please. :)