List of upcoming freesync monitors

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
lonewolf80

Re: List of upcoming freesync monitors

Post by lonewolf80 » 09 Mar 2015, 02:46

carreraf1 wrote:More info is available here:

http://wccftech.com/amd-freesync-driver ... -march-19/
Thanks for the link. Unless BenQ or ASUS makes a 24" soon, I'm going to be grabbing the Nixeus 24".

peter@nixeus

Post by peter@nixeus » 18 Mar 2015, 14:45

lonewolf80 wrote:

Thanks for the link. Unless BenQ or ASUS makes a 24" soon, I'm going to be grabbing the Nixeus 24".
For clarification - our NX-VUE24 Freesync Monitor will not be shipping on March 19th... they will be available in Q2, 2015.
Nixeus Technology, Inc
Online Community Representative

http://www.nixeus.com

lonewolf80

Post by lonewolf80 » 19 Mar 2015, 02:04

peter@nixeus wrote:
lonewolf80 wrote:

For clarification - our NX-VUE24 Freesync Monitor will not be shipping on March 19th... they will be available in Q2, 2015.
Thanks for the clarification. Q2 doesn't seem that far away, and it seems like Nixeus is the only brand with the 24" FreeSync still, so I'll still be looking forward to picking one up then.

SpoCk0nd0pe

Post by SpoCk0nd0pe » 26 Mar 2015, 21:27

Fringy question: Do you think we can expect freesync tvs? I just need a much bigger pixel and screen size then what's on the monitor marked :(
1080p at 40" or more would be great. Currently only Panasonic seems to have display port tvs.

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 26 Mar 2015, 23:58

SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:Fringy question: Do you think we can expect freesync tvs?.
I'd be surprised if such a thing was launched anytime soon, personally...

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 27 Mar 2015, 09:05

Black Octagon wrote:
SpoCk0nd0pe wrote:Fringy question: Do you think we can expect freesync tvs?.
I'd be surprised if such a thing was launched anytime soon, personally...
Sad to say, i think you are correct.

But just think of the possibilities... you take one of the LGs 4k OLEDs and instead of all the bloatware and bloathardware you just add a dp1.3 gsync module and have a single tiled, 0-120hz 4k OLED screen. Yes, unlike lcd - oled is good enough to hold an image if the fps stutters below 1fps.

Fantasy aside. AMD did say freesync has the capability to sync up to any video content... 23.94 fps and such; so potentially there are benefits having it on TV. Considering how many different framerate standards there are for video content nowadays: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate ... television

Alberello

Post by Alberello » 21 Dec 2016, 15:51

Hi guys, first of all congratulations for this impressing site, you were able to show to the big audience a lot of things with your articles about monitor technology...

I am interested in Acer XF270HU, I was looking for a very good gaming monitor and I liked the idea it was has an IPS panel.
But now after reading a lot of pages in overclock.net forum, I am very surprised the big quantity of complains about blur/blurring with and without Freesync. I am really surprised NO ONE on the youtube review say anything about this... I mean, here a lot of people say that is "unacceptable".
Do you know some OBJECTIVE review with photos (like BlurBusters do) that show this supposing "horrendous blurring" that they are talking about.
There is someone that was able to test various gaming monitor that can say if is true or not?

I don't know what to buy right now...

Can someone recommend an alternative 27", 2K, 144Hz FreeSync monitor that "objectively" has no blur and a good image quality?
(maybe there are no IPS yet without blur?)

Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 02 Jan 2017, 20:03

Alberello wrote:Do you know some OBJECTIVE review with photos (like BlurBusters do) that show this supposing "horrendous blurring" that they are talking about.
GSYNC monitors handle ghosting/blurring better as NVIDIA has created custom anti-ghosting logic to compensate for ghosting differences of different refresh rates.

LCD Motion Artifacts
LCD Overdrive Artifacts

But with FreeSync, sometimes you get different overdrive artifacts at different refresh rates; depending on the model of the monitor. This isn't always a problem, but generally GSYNC does a better job at motion artifact consistency of different framerates (=refreshrates). Artifacts that vary depending on framerates, are objectionable to some people, although not everyone.

Here's a software (interpolated) simulation of variable framerate and blur effects -- where motion blur varies depending on framerate: TestUFO GSYNC simulation. This looks a hell lot better than stutters for most people, but the variable motion blur effect of GSYNC/FreeSync bothers some people -- but it's often the lesser poison versus the usual stutter of varying framerates (on a non-GSYNC/FreeSync monitor).

If you are more worried about motion blur elimination, you'll want a monitor capable of strobing, and then run consistent framerates instead (framerate = refreshrate = stroberate), such as using a powerful GPU combined with VSYNC ON (or custom framerate capping instead to try to compensate for lag of VSYNC ON).

It's kind a pick-your-poison between eliminating stutters but keeping motion blur (GSYNC/FreeSync) or eliminating motion blur but keeping stutters (LightBoost/strobing/etc). To eliminate both stutters AND motion blur, you'll want use strobing instead of VRR. But you need to have consistent framerate==refreshrate==stroberate exactly matched simultaneously at all times (which is extremely hard in modern games, especially with a GPU not capable of 120fps).

Fortunately with most GSYNC/FreeSync monitors of 120Hz+, you have the option of blur-reduction strobing OR stutter-reduction variable framerate operation.

Regardless, even with non-blur-reduced (non-strobed) 120fps@120Hz, you still have half the motion blur as 60fps@60Hz -- so if that's good enough for you without strobing, you won't need to care about blurring during GSYNC/FreeSync if you keep your GSYNC/FreeSync framerates above ~100fps(ish). But if you want CRT-like zero-motion-blur ability, you will want strobe modes (Strobing/LightBoost reduces motion blur by 10x relative to 60fps@60Hz) as well as locking the framerate to refreshrate.

Blurring of low-refresh-rate FreeSync (e.g. a low range such as 30-60Hz FreeSync range) will still have quite a lot of motion blurring, although for many people it may be superior to stuttering. It's like picking your poison between this (smooth transition betwen framerates) versus this (stuttery transition between framerates).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Haldi

Post by Haldi » 09 Jun 2017, 16:38

One more Monitor to add to the List of Upcoming Monitors :)

Samsung CH49G90 aka CHG90

Announcement:
https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-unv ... -monitors/
The CHG90 also boasts a rapid 1ms response time, 144hz screen refresh rate, and advanced, four-channel scanning technology to deter motion blur throughout the entire screen, making the monitor ideal for first-person shooting, racing, flight simulation, and action-heavy games.
Anything on how the older Samsung Monitors were or what we can expect?

Greetings,

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Jun 2017, 12:28

Haldi wrote:One more Monitor to add to the List of Upcoming Monitors :)

Samsung CH49G90 aka CHG90
Fanastic, I am aware of this. A 49 inch FreeSync ultrawide!
Arrived on Amazon just this month

The world's biggest FreeSync display -- and it's FreeSync 2 to boot!

(And there's the C27HG70 and C32HG70 too, although neither are on Amazon USA yet as of June 10th). I know about the Samsung CFG70 series, but the CHG70 series (HDR, DCI-P3) are new.
Haldi wrote:Anything on how the older Samsung Monitors were or what we can expect?
Samsung generally (on average) has tended to be fairly good about their backlight-based blur reduction technology (strobed/scanning backlights) as they also manufacture TV's with scanning backlights too.

I'm glad to hear that this 49" ultrawide has a strobe backlight mode too. Does anyone know what the maximum refresh rate the strobe backlight runs at?

And I'm very glad Samsung quotes MPRT -- the millisecond number that actually represents motion blur. (GtG and MPRT are totally different millisecond measurements).
monitor-spec-807x999[1].png
monitor-spec-807x999[1].png (173.92 KiB) Viewed 9781 times
The 49" is noteworthy in that it's the largest size gaming monitor available now with variable refresh rate & blur reduction, so I've announced it on all the feeds (Web | Facebook | Twitter)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!