Nvidia and Freesync

Talk about AMD's FreeSync and VESA AdaptiveSync, which are variable refresh rate technologies. They also eliminate stutters, and eliminate tearing. List of FreeSync Monitors.
war

Nvidia and Freesync

Post by war » 24 Apr 2015, 14:41

Hello everyone ,
I am new to the forums and joined so i could ask this question in the hope that someone may have some info on this subject.

Does anyone have a clue if Nvidia is going to support Freesync sometime in the future, i would like to be able to use this feature but i have Nvidia cards that are still quite new and don't really want to move to AMD but i will if they don't support freesync sometime soonish.

I had a goggle about and i've found a post on toms-hardware ,,, heres a bit of what it says below.

Normally, when we hear about Project Freesync, the news comes from AMD, but today we spotted something about the green team's part in the conundrum. According to SweClockers.com, Nvidia revealed that it will be supporting monitors with the upcoming Adaptive-Sync technology.

link http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia ... 27736.html

8-)

war

Re: Nvidia and Freesync

Post by war » 24 Apr 2015, 14:45

Opps i see that there are other posts about this , maybe i should off posted there .... sorry

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 24 Apr 2015, 20:31

Nvidia says they're not going to support adaptive sync desktop monitors, but they're doing most of the necessary work anyway for mobile g-sync. So we'll probably see that compatibility in a couple years or so, when there's a compelling business case for it. Basically, there needs to be a big enough installed base of freesync monitors that Nvidia can make more money selling video cards to people that have freesync monitors than they can expect to make from people getting locked to nvidia after buying a g-sync monitor.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 24 Apr 2015, 21:53

As of now FreeSync monitors can't control their overdrive so they don't work nearly as well as GSYNC monitors. I would avoid them until they get that fixed.

Am I the only one that upgrades monitors more than they do video cards?

war

Post by war » 25 Apr 2015, 14:44

sharknice wrote:As of now FreeSync monitors can't control their overdrive so they don't work nearly as well as GSYNC monitors. I would avoid them until they get that fixed.

Yes ive read about this today in overclockers-uk forum , here what one chap is saying ,

guys, i'm currently talking to BenQ about the situation but to avoid any confusion here, this is the issue as it stands
If you connect the XL2730Z to a FreeSync system then the AMA function (overdrive circuit) is disabled. It doesn't matter whether you have FreeSync ticked or not in the graphics card settings, it is still turned off. If you "break" the end to end freeSync system by doing something like switching to DVI instead of DisplayPort, or using a non-FreeSync supporting drive, AMA behaves as it should. obviously if you use the screen from an NVIDIA /Intel card or a non-FreeSync card then it behaves as it should.

This is the same monitor that i have required , so hopefully with firmware update and maybe a driver fix as well from AMD this might well be a thing of the past ,but just at this minute it is a very real problem :cry:

eblin

Post by eblin » 05 May 2015, 02:22

war wrote:
sharknice wrote:As of now FreeSync monitors can't control their overdrive so they don't work nearly as well as GSYNC monitors. I would avoid them until they get that fixed.

Yes ive read about this today in overclockers-uk forum , here what one chap is saying ,

guys, i'm currently talking to BenQ about the situation but to avoid any confusion here, this is the issue as it stands
If you connect the XL2730Z to a FreeSync system then the AMA function (overdrive circuit) is disabled. It doesn't matter whether you have FreeSync ticked or not in the graphics card settings, it is still turned off. If you "break" the end to end freeSync system by doing something like switching to DVI instead of DisplayPort, or using a non-FreeSync supporting drive, AMA behaves as it should. obviously if you use the screen from an NVIDIA /Intel card or a non-FreeSync card then it behaves as it should.

This is the same monitor that i have required , so hopefully with firmware update and maybe a driver fix as well from AMD this might well be a thing of the past ,but just at this minute it is a very real problem :cry:
Just to add something from a different approach. AMA being off isn't necessary a bad thing. For me personally AMA - Off and Instant Mode - Off helps a lot with eye fatigue while gaming.

sharknice

Post by sharknice » 05 May 2015, 16:41

eblin wrote: Just to add something from a different approach. AMA being off isn't necessary a bad thing. For me personally AMA - Off and Instant Mode - Off helps a lot with eye fatigue while gaming.
Can you elaborate on that? I don't see how it would help.