Help, new monitor

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
TEZBOY

Help, new monitor

Post by TEZBOY » 31 Oct 2015, 00:12

Hello All.

I'm new here so i apologize if i've posted in the wrong section or even on the right sight. I'll try to get to grips with it ASAP.

I am currently using a 40" Sony Bravia KDLW5500 for gaming. It's still my favorite TV and i don't notice any issues except for one, when playing Call Of Duty. The picture and everything seems flawless to me, but sometimes i'll shoot at an enemy and they don't die, instead they return fire and kill me. I assumed this was an internet issue, basically other peoples internet was better than mine. I have 60meg fibre optic.

By chance, i happened to come across a video on Youtube which explained that big TV's have lag, and that your better off on a monitor. Basically, it's like i'm shooting at a target that isn't there any more, but instead shooting at a target that was there moments ago. So the penny dropped and i began to look in to monitors.

I use a PS4 for gaming and this is going to be the primary use of whatever monitor i get. So, 4k and 3d and anything above 60hz is going to be pointless for me. According to what i've researched, i need a 60hz 1080p monitor. As i understand, a tn panel will give the fastest responses, but will lack in other areas.

Topping my list at the moment is the BenQ RL2755HT. But i was wondering if there's anything else out there that's better for console gaming. Something that's just as quick but with better specs and quality, like picture, colour etc. Oh, and something that doesn't suffer galare issues too badly would be nice.

I haven't set a budget, i'm willing to consider all types and pricepoints. I just really want to get the best all round monitor for PS4 that i can.

Any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tez.

lexlazootin

Re: Help, new monitor

Post by lexlazootin » 01 Nov 2015, 01:34

Yea, benq's 60hz monitors will do just fine. But if you want a higher quality slightly faster screen get the Dell U2414H.

Trip

Re: Help, new monitor

Post by Trip » 01 Nov 2015, 14:51

TEZBOY wrote:I am currently using a 40" Sony Bravia KDLW5500 for gaming. It's still my favorite TV and i don't notice any issues except for one, when playing Call Of Duty. The picture and everything seems flawless to me, but sometimes i'll shoot at an enemy and they don't die, instead they return fire and kill me. I assumed this was an internet issue, basically other peoples internet was better than mine. I have 60meg fibre optic.
Just so you know even when you change to a faster monitor this can still occur. Most modern games use some kind of lag compensation to make it fair for all players even if you have a slight ping disadvantage. In the old days this was not present and usually people with a low ping had a significant advantage over players with higher pings. If all the players present playing are on a very low ping connection like in a lan environment this doesn't happen at all since lag compensation does not have a large effect. But when there are players with high ping present on the server lag compensation can matter and sometimes this can result in these weird situations where you for instance move past a wall and still get headshotted while behind cover. So even if you have perfect ping if your opponents their ping is significantly worse it can still happen that you get these weird situations.
There are also situations when for instance your opponent is peaking you very quickly behind a wall memorizes your position and after going back behind the wall himself he will pre-shoot you. This goes beyond human reaction time and can seem like you or your hardware is too slow but in reality it is just a good play of your opponent.
Of course your tv could still have a big input delay and might influence your play. But do know buying a faster display will not fix these situations every time.
As for display recommendations a smaller monitor is not really suited if you sit far away from your screen which is typical when playing on a console. TN monitors are really bad if you have to play from a small angle because you will lose a lot of image clarity especially in darker scenes. Also do know that not all tv's have a really high latency and if they do it can sometimes be lessened by enabling game mode and disabling display enhancing features like motion interpolation. I am sorry I cannot give you any specific recommendations but I wish you good luck finding your display.