ROLL CALL: Who uses LightBoost=10%?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

ROLL CALL: Who uses LightBoost=10%?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 21:23

There are numerous people who likes the shorter persistence of LightBoost=10%, because the lower the LightBoost setting, the shorter persistence the strobe backlight becomes.

Related article: LightBoost 10% versus 50% versus 100%

NOTE: Mathematically, 1ms of persistence (strobe flash length) reliably translates to 1 pixel of tracking-based motion blurring during 1000 pixels/second motion (at framerate=Hz), so shorter persistence translates to less motion blur. For those who do not understand the relationship of persistence and motion blur, see the educational animations at http://www.testufo.com/eyetracking (animation of persistence) and http://www.testufo.com/blackframes (animation of motion blur reduction via strobing).

Not everyone likes LightBoost=10% because it's so dark for some of them. Other people love it, because monitors are normally too bright with LightBoost and dialing it down to 10% decreases brightness and improves motion clarity. If that's you, just skip this thread -- this specific thread is a call for people who notices the improved motion clarity of LightBoost=10%

Please reply if you you regularly use LightBoost 10% or 50%
Followup if you have used LightBoost settings lower than 100%, and you've noticed the motion clarity improvements (e.g. windows on buildings become sharper/crisper at http://www.testufo.com/photo#pps=1440 as an example, when you lower LightBoost % settings).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

sharknice

Re: ROLL CALL: Who uses LightBoost=10%?

Post by sharknice » 23 Jan 2014, 21:39

I used to use 10% and noticed motion was significantly more clear than the higher values. That was before I installed the GSYNC kit which doesn't seem quite as good as lightboost 10% in motion clarity but mostly makes up for it with better color.

Karnaj

Post by Karnaj » 23 Jan 2014, 22:17

I used LightBoost @ 10% brightness exclusively in order to minimize motion blur as much as possible. The decreased brightness was noticeable at first, but I quickly became used to it. Now that I have ULMB instead of LightBoost, I miss having the strobe length setting. In the future, I really hope that enabling it on ULMB will be possible through a simple driver update.
ASUS VG248QE | ASUS P8Z77-V | Intel i5-3570k @ 4.5 GHz | EVGA GTX 780 Classified ACX | Razer Deathadder 2013 | CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Red Switches | Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 Advanced | Antec HCG-750

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Jan 2014, 23:24

I have confirmed that both major 120Hz monitor manufacturers now pay attention to this new forum, including NVIDIA, ASUS and BENQ. One ASUS rep has already registered as a member (ASUSTEKMKT), and there are others as well. The purpose of this thread is also to remind the vendors of the need of adjustable persistence in any future strobe backlight.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 23 Jan 2014, 23:48

I dont use Lightboost due tiny but noticeable input lag. And i know much more ppl who don't use it (same reasons) than ppl who use Lightboost. I'm not newbie to Lightboost. Tried it several times during the year. :\
BenQ XL2411T

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jan 2014, 00:00

Yeah, that's why it needs to be easy to turn ON/OFF all strobe backlights. We know that not everyone likes LightBoost, and 144Hz (and GSYNC) are more appealing options for some. That said, this thread is specifically to survey specifically only LightBoost=10% users, to show they do exist. ;)

Hawke

Post by Hawke » 24 Jan 2014, 00:58

VG248QE user,

You can add me to the list, I use lightboost at 10% brightness 120Hz only when playing games as it's too dim for everyday use, 121Hz non strobed when not gaming. We need brighter strobing monitors with the motion clarity of lightboost at 10%.

For those that have installed the upgrade kit how does ULMB compare to lightboost at 10%? sharknice you say motion clarity is not as good? is ULMB brighter than lightboost?

I'm still on the fence about weather to buy the upgrade kit or not, either way I'll be pulling apart the monitor and removing the matte film.

Cheers.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Jan 2014, 01:08

Hawke wrote:For those that have installed the upgrade kit how does ULMB compare to lightboost at 10%? sharknice you say motion clarity is not as good? is ULMB brighter than lightboost?
ULMB is roughly equal to LightBoost=60% on my GSYNC monitor, and is roughly the same brightness, too.
(See the other ULMB threads for this talk).

Hawke

Post by Hawke » 24 Jan 2014, 01:17

Thanks Mark.

shadman

Post by shadman » 24 Jan 2014, 01:52

I don't have a Lightboost monitor, but my friend who is an avid gamer uses it when he plays competitively, but turns it off most other times, due to the poor colors.