Ghosting trails / Overshoot?

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
Lallaren007

Ghosting trails / Overshoot?

Post by Lallaren007 » 19 Sep 2016, 15:14

Hello, so im still having issue with ghosting or Overshoot as it might be called if im not wrong. Just got myself a brand new "Benq xl2411z 144Hz" And still having same issue. But i don't get any type of Input lag or ghosting while im using the "intel integrated graphics " on my i5 4460. one thing i did notice was that it was running on 64Hz :?: . I made an video of me showing the issue in windows with my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcg4q8n1UjI

And i found an article about monitors that described my issue. Did not say anything about an fix for it just detailed information about the artifact. Called PWM.

Let me know if there is anyone who knows how to fix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPfI7XYGch8 ( <--- Not my video )

Sparky

Re: Ghosting trails / Overshoot?

Post by Sparky » 19 Sep 2016, 15:40

The artifact in both videos is ghosting, not PWM(and input lag can't be seen just from a video). To see a PWM artifact on a video you'd have to move the camera, or use a camera fast enough to catch the individual pulses.

You can increase overdrive(I think Benq calls this AMA), to reduce ghosting, but if it's set too high it can cause overshoot(inverse ghosting)

Refresh rate also matters, and I think that's the variable being changed here when you switch to integrated graphics.

Lallaren007

Post by Lallaren007 » 19 Sep 2016, 17:34

Ok, i already have ama on high and putting it on Premium did not reduce ghosting for me. When using the graphics from the gpu and then manually put the Hz onto 60Hz i get same kind of ghosting/input lag. You don't have any more tips on what can cause it?
Sparky wrote:The artifact in both videos is ghosting, not PWM(and input lag can't be seen just from a video). To see a PWM artifact on a video you'd have to move the camera, or use a camera fast enough to catch the individual pulses.

You can increase overdrive(I think Benq calls this AMA), to reduce ghosting, but if it's set too high it can cause overshoot(inverse ghosting)

Refresh rate also matters, and I think that's the variable being changed here when you switch to integrated graphics.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Sep 2016, 17:59

Are you using blur reduction DISABLED on your XL2411Z?

if so, you need to fix the crappy overdrive of blur reduction disabled.
By default, the Benq setting for blur reduction ON + AMA Premium is the SAME overdrive setting for blur reduction OFF + AMA High.
So if you're playing with blur reduction off+AMA high, you're actually using 'premium' which is excessive. And if you set it to AMA premium, it becomes even "more" premium.

To fix this, do the following.

1) Go into your OSD, Picture Advanced ->Picture Mode->Standard Mode (The mode at the very top).
2) Set Standard Mode to these defaults: Color custom: 100, 100, 92 (RGB), Contrast 50, Brightness 20, Blur Reduction Off, Sharpness 5, Gamma 5 (4 if its too high).
3) Save Standard Mode as "Gamer 1" Preset.

4) Enable blur reduction "on", then Save another copy of standard mode as "Gamer 2" Preset. (the only difference is, blur reduction will be on in gamer 2 preset).

Now:

Activate Gamer 2 preset. blur reduction will be on.
Now: Go to picture Mode, AMA, set it to High. if it's already on high, move the slider to Off or Premium, but do NOT confirm the selection... instead press "back"/Cancel on the OSD, this will set it to high and go back (This step is required). You're overwriting AMA high with a "better" AMA high. (This undocumented tweak was added in V003 firmware).

This will set a LOWER AMA level than high but this is undocumented. This is not a persistent setting.
(if you play with blur reduction on, this is all you have to do).

Now, Activate Gamer 1 preset in picture advanced.
This will disable blur reduction and exploit a bug which will "apply" your lower AMA level to blur reduction off. This is the ONLY way to do this.

Please note that ANY resolution or refresh rate change at this point will revert this "tweak" and you will have to do it again (Activate gamer 2, set AMA to high/overwrite AMA high, activate gamer 1).

Lallaren007

Post by Lallaren007 » 19 Sep 2016, 18:32

Hmm, i followed all the steps one by one. Just at "move the slider to Off or Premium, but do NOT confirm the selection... instead press "back"/Cancel on the OSD," there is no confirm like "You sure Yes/No" the screen does not even flash when changing Ama setting. I have sent you an Pm.
Falkentyne wrote:Are you using blur reduction DISABLED on your XL2411Z?

By default, the Benq setting for blur reduction ON + AMA Premium is the SAME overdrive setting for blur reduction OFF + AMA High.
So if you're playing with blur reduction off+AMA high, you're actually using 'premium' which is excessive. And if you set it to AMA premium, it becomes even "more" premium.

1) Go into your OSD, Picture Advanced ->Picture Mode->Standard Mode (The mode at the very top).
2) Set Standard Mode to these defaults: Color custom: 100, 100, 92 (RGB), Contrast 50, Brightness 20, Blur Reduction Off, Sharpness 5, Gamma 5 (4 if its too high).

4) Enable blur reduction "on", then Save another copy of standard mode as "Gamer 2" Preset. (the only difference is, blur reduction will be on in gamer 2 preset).

Now:

Now: Go to picture Mode, AMA, set it to High. if it's already on high, move the slider to Off or Premium, but do NOT confirm the selection... instead press "back"/Cancel on the OSD, this will set it to high and go back (This step is required). You're overwriting AMA high with a "better" AMA high. (This undocumented tweak was added in V003 firmware).

This will set a LOWER AMA level than high but this is undocumented. This is not a persistent setting.

This will disable blur reduction and exploit a bug which will "apply" your lower AMA level to blur reduction off. This is the ONLY way to do this.

Please note that ANY resolution or refresh rate change at this point will revert this "tweak" and you will have to do it again (Activate gamer 2, set AMA to high/overwrite AMA high, activate gamer 1).

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 19 Sep 2016, 18:36

I replied, but the screen will never flash. You will only see a change in motion if overdrive artifacts are appearing constantly.

The best way to test for overdrive changes is this :

http://www.testufo.com/#test=photo&phot ... &height=-1

nathan02

Post by nathan02 » 11 Apr 2017, 19:55

Falkentyne wrote:Are you using blur reduction DISABLED on your XL2411Z?

Now:

hi is this applicable on benq xl2730z?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Apr 2017, 23:15

I don't have the XL2730Z so I don't know, sorry :(