DVI-D vs DVI-I Input lag on MSI GTX 970?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Luckylock

DVI-D vs DVI-I Input lag on MSI GTX 970?

Post by Luckylock » 28 Nov 2015, 10:21

Now my friend and I both have the exact same video card (MSI GTX 970).

We both have different 144 hz monitors.

When we plug into the top DVI-D port, it feels responsive and "normal". When we plug into the bottom DVI-I port, the mouse / aim feels floaty in cs:go. I don't think that's placebo, but on paper, they should be the same since DVI-D port is DVI-D + DVI-A.

I think the bottom DVI-I port has more input lag than the top DVI-D port. Are we crazy / dreaming / hallucinating / etc? We've been playing competitive FPS games for years.

We made sure that it's running at 144 hz on the bottom DVI-I port as well. Anyone else down to test this and confirm here?

Falkentyne

Re: DVI-D vs DVI-I Input lag on MSI GTX 970?

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Nov 2015, 10:33

DVI-I has analog circuitry while DVI-D does not.
It's possible that there is some GPU scaling going on on the DVI-I port. Nvidia drivers have been known to add multiple frames of input lag when GPU scaling is active. Can't help or give any more information on that, as I use an AMD card :( Sorry.

Are you guys SURE you are running at NATIVE resolution on both ports?
There should not be input lag unless you're trying to run at a crappy 1024x768 or some other 4:3 resolution that CS people seem to be worshipping these days...just play at native !!

sfektsz

Post by sfektsz » 23 Feb 2016, 19:08

I actually tested this as well, and it's 100% placebo. Do some blind tests with your friend and see. Testing stuff with CS:GO is so tricky, because it can feel smooth one time you launch it, and feel like shit the next time. :roll:

Elfields

Post by Elfields » 03 Oct 2016, 15:32

Luckylock wrote:Now my friend and I both have the exact same video card (MSI GTX 970).

We both have different 144 hz monitors.

When we plug into the top DVI-D port, it feels responsive and "normal". When we plug into the bottom DVI-I port, the mouse / aim feels floaty in cs:go. I don't think that's placebo, but on paper, they should be the same since DVI-D port is DVI-D + DVI-A.

I think the bottom DVI-I port has more input lag than the top DVI-D port. Are we crazy / dreaming / hallucinating / etc? We've been playing competitive FPS games for years.

We made sure that it's running at 144 hz on the bottom DVI-I port as well. Anyone else down to test this and confirm here?
Dont mean to bump such an old post. But I wasn't on Google looking up anything related to dvi d input lag.
Turns out I have a Gtx 970 and am experiencing the sameness exact thing. Whenever I plug into my bottom dvi-d port I feel like I am experiencing input lag and the screen feels so floaty or something. But when I
plug into top dvi-i port It feels fast and much more responsive.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Oct 2016, 15:36

Unlikely.

You need a second person to do a test. He/she plugs the monitor in, doesn't tell you which port it's in, and you try to tell whether there's input lag or not.

You do that like 10 times or so. The more the better.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Elfields

Post by Elfields » 03 Oct 2016, 15:55

RealNC wrote:Unlikely.

You need a second person to do a test. He/she plugs the monitor in, doesn't tell you which port it's in, and you try to tell whether there's input lag or not.

You do that like 10 times or so. The more the better.
I get it may be unlikely. However the lag is definitely there. I have done a blind test with my girlfriend and two of her brothers and they all agree... the monitor I'm using is a vg248qe asus.

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 03 Oct 2016, 18:04

Does the cable have the analog pins, or just the digital ones? Might try a digital only cable, to make sure there isn't a digital->analog->digital conversion going on.

Elfields

Post by Elfields » 03 Oct 2016, 18:37

Sparky wrote:Does the cable have the analog pins, or just the digital ones? Might try a digital only cable, to make sure there isn't a digital->analog->digital conversion going on.
What does the digitial only cable look like in terms of pins?

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 03 Oct 2016, 19:43

Did you verify in your monitor's OSD that:

a) the connection is digital
b) it actually runs at high refresh rates and is not stuck at 60Hz
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Elfields

Post by Elfields » 03 Oct 2016, 20:28

RealNC wrote:Did you verify in your monitor's OSD that:

a) the connection is digital
b) it actually runs at high refresh rates and is not stuck at 60Hz
Not sure what you mean. When I go to my monitor's osd it says nothing about refresh rate.