ULMB works fine on monitor, still not happy...?

Ask about motion blur reduction in gaming monitors. Includes ULMB (Ultra Low Motion Blur), NVIDIA LightBoost, ASUS ELMB, BenQ/Zowie DyAc, Turbo240, ToastyX Strobelight, etc.
HenrikE1234

ULMB works fine on monitor, still not happy...?

Post by HenrikE1234 » 28 Oct 2016, 17:07

So I got a monitor that I can't really fault. I did make (IMO) a proper effort of selection and reading up on G-Sync and ULMB/Lightboost/Blur reduction.

Now I found out that any blur reduction just removes strong-contrast blur of contours. And that it won't remove the "general big blur" that I wanted to get rid of: VSync off, 120Hz, < 120 FPS. Tearing isn't a biggie, and there isn't much stutter as I can usually push a game above 60 FPS and there's a better-than-60 Hz available.

But it's simply when the whole screen moves as I look around.

Capping at 60 and using ULMB @ highest allowed Hz didn't fix that. Just the contours.

So... I'm guessing I'll just have to push the FPS>Hz, cap at the Hz, and there's no way to improve on that? I.e. blur reduction doesn't do full-scene blur reduction, it's selective and doesn't really improve the overall impression?

Glide

Re: ULMB works fine on monitor, still not happy...?

Post by Glide » 28 Oct 2016, 17:14

You need V-Sync on and framerate equal to refresh rate for ULMB to be effective.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 28 Oct 2016, 17:30

I don't understand.
Are you saying that your FPS is always LOWER than your refresh rate?

Why don't you set vsync on and use 85hz ULMB or 100hz ULMB instead?

-----------

Also if you're using the Dell TN monitor (both of the TN 1440p monitors) we have been talking about recently, you have an option even the Benq blur reduction "1 hz increment" monitors don't have...being able to use gsync and ULMB for variable refresh rate strobing at the same time, which solves all of your issues. But this requires you purchasing the 3d vision 2 kit, and getting the proper modes working in windows 10 is difficult. Ask Masterotaku about that, as I think that would satisfy your other requirements. Otherwise, use the lower hz ULMB modes instead.

HenrikE1234

Post by HenrikE1234 » 28 Oct 2016, 18:37

Well, the blur reduction makes the UFO less blurry. Thing is, when I went 60 Hz, 60 FPS, ULMB on it only fixed the contours of distant objects when I looked around. It didn't really improve the scene, Vsync on or off. This might be my own imagined expectations, of course. But it looked the same as on my old monitor, so it seems like I want something ... else than blur reduction? I'm suspecting black frame insertion will do what I mean with no problem.

Basically I think I expected that the new techs (with which I was hitherto unfamiliar) would fix everything and the game would look sharp without the blurriness coming from how the pixels in the panels work.

But right now it looks better on the old one with 95-ish FPS @ 100 Hz, Vsync off, and 59 FPS cap @ 60 Hz, Vsync on looks the same.

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 29 Oct 2016, 06:01

I'm quite confused on what your problem is, I think there is a miss communication on what ULMB does, or how it works.

Does it look good when you get 120fps+ v-synced running ULMB?

>I'm suspecting black frame insertion will do what I mean with no problem.

Black frame insertion's effect will get you the same outcome as ULMB.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Nov 2016, 10:08

"General big blur" -- what do you mean?

Don't forget certain games add artificial motion-blur, so you also want to turn that off those settings.

If that is not the issue -- Are you familar playing on old-style CRTs? Do you see the same issues you describe when playing on CRTs?

If you never have seen the issue when playing on a CRT -- are you describing something else other than blur? Are you talking about haziness (e.g. poor blacks instead of blur) -- that's normal with some strobed LCDs, especially TN LCDs, since they are running at more aggressive LCD-refreshing settings, and that can impact color quality. A different strobed display (non-TN) can reduce or eliminate this compromise.

Alternate possible cause -- A framerate mismatch with refreshrate can create more blurry impression, much like the lower framerate UFOs at http://www.testufo.com do not look as clear as the higher framerate UFOs. In fact, mismatches like 129fps@120Hz or 153fps@120Hz can also create blur-by-stutter effect, slightly reducing motion clarity at odd frame rates higher than refresh rate. Certainly not as bad as 30fps@60Hz or 60fps@120Hz, but super-rapid microstutters can and do blend into a form of slight blurring. Especially if the beat frequency and harmonics between the framerate-refreshrate is very high; the vibrations of stutter is so high, it blends into slight blur. Blur-by-rapid-microstuttering: Is this the "blur" you are talking about?

Strobing turned on can indeed work at its very best with VSYNC ON -- but that can add the latency issue. (And stutters, if your GPU isn't powerful enough to keep framerate locked at all times). For the best strobing clarity and motion perfection, Strobing + framerate locked + VSYNC ON + 1000Hz mouse. Framerate always matching refresh rate matching strobe rate.

Frame rate capping can also be a reasonable lower-lag substitute for VSYNC ON, but with pros/cons.

While good for motion clarity, it's not always ideal for input lag (...VSYNC ON + strobing usually has too much lag for competition players...). But that doesn't matter in many games where you can benefit from motion clarity.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!