Benq Service+Factory Menus, VT info, AMA Low tweak

Adjusting BENQ Blur Reduction and DyAc (Dynamic Acceleration) including Blur Busters Strobe Utility. Supports most BenQ/Zowie Z-Series monitors (XL2411, XL2420, XL2720, XL2735, XL2540, XL2546)
Falkentyne

Re: Benq Service+Factory Menus, VT info, AMA Low tweak

Post by Falkentyne » 13 Oct 2016, 22:17

Increases the blanking interval so the pixels have more time to settle their color transitions during the frame, lowering strobe crosstalk.

Sptz

Post by Sptz » 09 Nov 2016, 06:38

Hmm..

Is it worth then to try this on my XL2411Z? Moving AMA back to Off and then to High again?

Had no idea this was a thing :O

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 09 Nov 2016, 06:45

Deffantly worth it.

If you wish to use this 'Glitch' without BBR you have to do the glitch and then change monitor profiles to one NOT running BBR and the new glitched AMA will stay on.

Sptz

Post by Sptz » 10 Nov 2016, 05:10

lexlazootin wrote:Deffantly worth it.

If you wish to use this 'Glitch' without BBR you have to do the glitch and then change monitor profiles to one NOT running BBR and the new glitched AMA will stay on.
I definitely want to use BBR still. I'm just confused with how this all works because not only do I not know what firmware version I have, I was confused as if this is really that "worth it". But you answered that.

So it's just turning off and on again?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 10 Nov 2016, 06:57

yes, INSIDE BBR mode.

You should be able to see the difference after you do it here: http://testufo.com/#test=ghosting

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Nov 2016, 11:34

Yes, there are actually two bugs, although the first seems to be more of an undocumented feature done intentionally.

The first is turning BBR on and moving the AMA slider from high to another setting and back to high, overwriting the setting (you can also just go to high, press enter once to highlight, then press back instead of confirming). This reduces the AMA by a small amount (large amount on XL2720Z; this could be considered a drawback in some 3d games) with no drawbacks on the XL2411 and XL2420. This was intentionally added to V3 without documentation because on V2, doing this just made the AMA even worse than premium, completely worthless. Any changes to brightness, ANY strobe setting whatsoever, or changing refresh rate/resolutions will revert the change.

The profile bug switch allows you to use this lower AMA with BBR *off* due to a bug (activating a profile which disables blur reduction does not refresh the low level AMA setting, which is the bug). You can safely change brightness with the low AMA applied to BBR off, but not resolution/refresh.

Sptz

Post by Sptz » 11 Nov 2016, 11:57

Falkentyne wrote:Yes, there are actually two bugs, although the first seems to be more of an undocumented feature done intentionally.

The first is turning BBR on and moving the AMA slider from high to another setting and back to high, overwriting the setting (you can also just go to high, press enter once to highlight, then press back instead of confirming). This reduces the AMA by a small amount (large amount on XL2720Z; this could be considered a drawback in some 3d games) with no drawbacks on the XL2411 and XL2420. This was intentionally added to V3 without documentation because on V2, doing this just made the AMA even worse than premium, completely worthless. Any changes to brightness, ANY strobe setting whatsoever, or changing refresh rate/resolutions will revert the change.

The profile bug switch allows you to use this lower AMA with BBR *off* due to a bug (activating a profile which disables blur reduction does not refresh the low level AMA setting, which is the bug). You can safely change brightness with the low AMA applied to BBR off, but not resolution/refresh.
I'm a bit confused because BBR is ON, so I went to the AMA tab and selected OFF then HIGH, while looking at the UFO test and nothing happened, looks exactly the same?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 11 Nov 2016, 12:08

What monitor are you using?

On the 27" monitors, enabling blur reduction, and then going to AMA and either highlighting "High" and pressing back/cancel or moving to off/premium then back to high (or press back without confirming, which also puts it back at high) will overwrite AMA high with a lower value, turning most of the inverse ghosting into normal ghosting. Sometimes this might make things worse (especially white to black transitions), in which case you should drop the contrast below 10. This AMA toggle may be reducing the "Overdrive gain", as if you reduce the contrast down to below 5, you will see a faint amount of inverse ghosting left (much lower than before). Note: don't reduce contrast like this without toggling the AMA or everything will just start getting glowing spectral like borders.

When you do this, any changes to brightness, any strobe setting change or a refresh rate change will revert the AMA back to default.

On the 24" monitors, the inverse ghosting will not be changed into normal ghosting, just made less intense, with no drawbacks. If you're using the XL2411Z, it's hard to notice unless you're looking carefully, but you will see a change. Make sure you are using TESTUFO, ALIEN INVASION fullscreen; as most of the other tests won't really show inverse ghosting very well (besides ghosting /cyan and medium greys).

dnihilist

Post by dnihilist » 10 Apr 2017, 06:44

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but isn't tweaking the XL2735 the same as just getting the XL2730? What am I missing here?

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 10 Apr 2017, 12:51

The XL2730 uses buggy firmware or scaler. Vertical Total (VT) tweaks do not work on the XL2730Z/XL2730. Also monitor will refuse to strobe in sync lower than 120hz. At 100hz it still strobes at 8.3ms causing out of sync.

XL2735 uses 2796BF scaler instead of 2796B, which is the same scaler used in the XL2540, so VT tweaks work again (up to VT 1852 IIRC) and 100hz strobing works again. Still no 60hz single strobe override option however (which is something I need).
Last edited by Falkentyne on 10 Apr 2017, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.