is 4ms PLS monitor fast for FPS games?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
abdoo59

is 4ms PLS monitor fast for FPS games?

Post by abdoo59 » 12 Nov 2016, 12:36

i want to get samsung s24e390hl which is PLS panel with 4ms response time.

i am FPS player all the day playing BF1

so will the samsung monitor be fast enough with no noticeable input lag OR should i go with benq rl2455hm TN 1ms? :?: :?:

Q83Ia7ta

Re: is 4ms PLS monitor fast for FPS games?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 12 Nov 2016, 13:06

no. even 1ms TN 60Hz doesn't suit enough for FPS.
you need 144hz monitor.
1ms TN will perform better than 4ms PLS even at 60Hz

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 12 Nov 2016, 14:32

The response times are fake*. Read reviews of the monitor you want to buy. Also, the response time doesn't say much about input lag. It should affect ghosting only. Again, read reviews on whether the monitor has lag or ghosting issues. Reading the stats alone is completely useless.

*(My 2ms monitor has lower ghosting than my 1ms monitor. These values are things the makers of the monitor pull out of their asses.)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 12 Nov 2016, 15:13

Response times are all over the place and are always used for the wrong things. People just combine input and processing lag and pixel response all into the same word.

Pixel response time is the average time a pixel should complete a white to black transition. Highest case times are for white to black back to white which is the longest period (255-0-255). This affects ghosting and overdrive artifacts (which aim to reduce white to black response times while overshooting other closer colors, causing inverse ghosting). Signal processing time is processing time on the monitor scaler board itself, and higher gives more input lag. Most good TN panels have a signal processing time far below 4 ms.
There's also frame time input lag from vsync (directly tied to 1000/hz refresh rate) and video card processing lag also (extreme amounts of lag are often caused by the video card at low framerates, particularly when high levels of anti-aliasing or other processing are used).

abdoo59

Post by abdoo59 » 15 Nov 2016, 04:51

RealNC wrote:The response times are fake*. Read reviews of the monitor you want to buy. Also, the response time doesn't say much about input lag. It should affect ghosting only. Again, read reviews on whether the monitor has lag or ghosting issues. Reading the stats alone is completely useless.

*(My 2ms monitor has lower ghosting than my 1ms monitor. These values are things the makers of the monitor pull out of their asses.)
Falkentyne wrote:Response times are all over the place and are always used for the wrong things. People just combine input and processing lag and pixel response all into the same word.

Pixel response time is the average time a pixel should complete a white to black transition. Highest case times are for white to black back to white which is the longest period (255-0-255). This affects ghosting and overdrive artifacts (which aim to reduce white to black response times while overshooting other closer colors, causing inverse ghosting). Signal processing time is processing time on the monitor scaler board itself, and higher gives more input lag. Most good TN panels have a signal processing time far below 4 ms.
There's also frame time input lag from vsync (directly tied to 1000/hz refresh rate) and video card processing lag also (extreme amounts of lag are often caused by the video card at low framerates, particularly when high levels of anti-aliasing or other processing are used).
THANKS
i saw a review here https://pcmonitors.info/reviews/samsung-s24d390hl/

and they say about input lag -
We used SMTT 2.0 and a sensitive camera to compare the S24D390HL’s latency with a range of other monitors of known latencies. Over 30 photographs were taken and an average input lag calculated. On this monitor we recorded 5.4ms (under half a frame) of input lag, indicating that the signal delay of the monitor is very low and shouldn’t be an issue for gamers. Some gamers may of course prefer even lower latency and a faster experience for their gaming – but for that you’d really need to look at a completely different monitor with a higher refresh rate. Also note that ‘Game Mode’ had no recordable impact on input lag.

what they mean with (under half a frame) and is that good?

lexlazootin

Post by lexlazootin » 15 Nov 2016, 08:48

1000 / 60hz = 16ms

5.4ms < 16ms

Input lag is less then one frame. Yea, it's pretty good.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 15 Nov 2016, 19:38

Btw, that monitor only has HDMI input. If you're on an nvidia GPU, I wouldn't recommend this monitor, as nvidia gives wrong colors on HDMI monitors.

You can fix it with a third-party registry patcher though, so if that's OK with you, go for it.

More info:

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-cards-don ... res-a-fix/
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.