Any possible bottle necks for this system?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
atg

Any possible bottle necks for this system?

Post by atg » 17 Nov 2016, 14:26

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/zgbF4C

Is there anything here that could bottle neck the input lag of CS:GO? I just feel that the game is laggy and the mouse movement always feels way behind what I am doing. I am wondering if it could be some of the drivers my computer has? I use on board sound, it is realtek, and I've heard their drivers have massive input lag. Could using a real sound card help? I feel it might be small, but I feel there is some type of lag on the system.

Q83Ia7ta

Re: Any possible bottle necks for this system?

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 17 Nov 2016, 15:12

onboard audio is ok. check nvidia control panel 3d settings. also http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3064

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 17 Nov 2016, 22:55

I would get a sound card with dolby headphone support. I use a Xonar card and playing games in surround using stereo headphones is something I cannot live without anymore.

If you don't use headphones, then you don't need this.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

atg

Post by atg » 19 Nov 2016, 03:34

RealNC wrote:I would get a sound card with dolby headphone support. I use a Xonar card and playing games in surround using stereo headphones is something I cannot live without anymore.

If you don't use headphones, then you don't need this.
I use headphones, I feel they are a must for CS:GO. But that is the main game I play, should I bother with the dolby? I heard CS:GO doesn't have much surround sound support.

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 19 Nov 2016, 04:22

I use dolby headphone mode (5.1, reference mode 1) for CS:GO. The in-game audio setting must be set to "5.1", *not* "headphones".

I cannot play without that anymore. The sound stage is much wider and it's easier to tell where sounds are coming from. In comparison, normal 2-channel "headphone" mode makes it impossible to tell whether sounds are coming from the front or from behind.

All games are way more enjoyable with it. You do actually feel there's stuff happening around you. Stereo just makes everything sound close together, as if the sounds are coming from inside your head rather than from around you.

For me, it was one of those things where I didn't even know what I was missing until I tried it. For it to work well though, you need good stereo headphones, preferably semi-open or open. Closed ones will produce a narrower sound stage. I use semi-open ones. "Gaming" headsets might not work too well with it though. You need *proper* headphones, not "gaming" crap.

Note: there's some software-based solutions for headphone surround sound out there (like Razer Surround), but they don't sound very good. Razer's software for example doesn't come close to the dolby headphone mode of the Xonar D1 sound card I'm using.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.